Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
eaf

Renting/hauling canoe for Little Tupper Lake

Hi,

How do people who have no canoes and have no roof racks on their cars arrange for canoe at LTL? Are there outfitters in the area who would drop canoes off? Or is a roof rack really a must in cases like this?

Thanks!
eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #2
aft paddle

Hi
For several years I have used foam blocks with ratchet straps (available as a kit in the $25-$30 range) through the windows with good results. HOWEVER--- the roof on my new car seemed too flimsy and I went to the racks. Whatever you use I suggest finding someone familiar with the proper tensioning to give you a little advice. I have seen an ad for a canoe with cracked sides from over tightening the straps; too loose and you're risking sudden "repositioning" of the load. I don't know about the outfitters.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Larch

call Raquette River Outfitters at 518-359-3228, they will deliver.
Larch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
eaf

Yes, I was investigating similar "racks", i.e. inflatable or just foam blocks, but what got me scared away was that they say everywhere that such method of strapping canoe to the top with belts going through the car's inside is not suitable for cars with side curtain airbags. I guess, they can explode.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
eaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larch View Post
call Raquette River Outfitters at 518-359-3228, they will deliver.
Thanks, I called them. Indeed they will. Roundtrip delivery is worth about two days of canoe rental. Still only about 1/10 of a roof rack like Yakima or Thule.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaf View Post
Thanks, I called them. Indeed they will. Roundtrip delivery is worth about two days of canoe rental. Still only about 1/10 of a roof rack like Yakima or Thule.
St Regis Canoe Outfitters could help too...
adk88 (Tyler) works there, I think...

And have you checked craigslist for racks?
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
Ydnabronn

Have used Raquette River Outfitters for years and would highly recommend them. You may be able to save on the delivery, I believe they have a shop in Long Lake now and you could probably pick up a canoe and drive the short distance to LTL.
Ydnabronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ydnabronn View Post
Have used Raquette River Outfitters for years and would highly recommend them. You may be able to save on the delivery, I believe they have a shop in Long Lake now and you could probably pick up a canoe and drive the short distance to LTL.

I agree!

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote