Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #21
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

That golden hued lean2 that seems to luminesce sure is handsome.

Ordin
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
That golden hued lean2 that seems to luminesce sure is handsome.

Ordin
Bear Lake? That one's pretty new. Only about a year or two old. Give it 5 or 10 years- it will look like the rest.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
ADKpete

Was that a lean2rescue case?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKpete View Post
Was that a lean2rescue case?
I think they may have built it. It wasn't a "rescue," though, rather it was a completely new lean-to. To my knowledge, there was never one there previously. It had been planned for years, but was only finally constructed 2 years ago.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
ADKpete

I was under the impression new lean2's were not going to be built anymore or is this for only certain areas? Or am I wrong all together? (because that has happened before)
Old 04-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #26
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
I was under the impression new lean2's were not going to be built anymore or is this for only certain areas? Or am I wrong all together? (because that has happened before)
I'm not aware of any outright ban on the construction of new lean-tos. Certainly, in some areas (like the High Peaks) there are more than enough, and it would be hard to justify new ones- but even there it can occasionally happen. The Herbert Brook lean-to is a new one, constructed a few years ago to replace one of the two Calamity lean-tos when it was removed. Avalanche Camp is also a newer lean-to that was built to replace the old Avalanche Camp lean-to when it was removed.

I know of a few other new lean-tos- Hour Pond in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness is one, Cheney Pond in the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest is another, and the John Robb Lean-to in the Catskills is also only a few years old (although that was built to replace a lean-to that burned down).
Old 04-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #27
AdRegion
TourPro

Awesome pics!
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
ADKHUNTER

Geez! you should try and get out of the house more. LOL. Great pics

Ed
ADKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #29
Rainman

That is some collection and I am sure you have a boat load of memories to go along with all those trips. You should write a book, if you have not already. Believe me, it will sell, people look forward to reading your posts and appreciate your knowledge and experience of the area.

Rainman
Rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I think they may have built it...
Yes, they did

Ordin
Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
Yes, they did

Ordin
I figured by your comment on how "handsome" the lean to was it was more than likely your handy work. Nice job!
Old 04-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #32
thebluesman5748

Thanks Settahr... Awe inspiring.
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #33
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

nice!

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Greeneyezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
ADKpete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
I'm not aware of any outright ban on the construction of new lean-tos. Certainly, in some areas (like the High Peaks) there are more than enough, and it would be hard to justify new ones- but even there it can occasionally happen. The Herbert Brook lean-to is a new one, constructed a few years ago to replace one of the two Calamity lean-tos when it was removed. Avalanche Camp is also a newer lean-to that was built to replace the old Avalanche Camp lean-to when it was removed.

I know of a few other new lean-tos- Hour Pond in the Siamese Ponds Wilderness is one, Cheney Pond in the Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest is another, and the John Robb Lean-to in the Catskills is also only a few years old (although that was built to replace a lean-to that burned down).
DSettahr,
I remembered were I got the info on the leanto construction you and I were talking about the leanto's at the duck hole region, I must have misunderstood what you were saying in that thread.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #35
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
DSettahr,
I remembered were I got the info on the leanto construction you and I were talking about the leanto's at the duck hole region, I must have misunderstood what you were saying in that thread.
Ah, yeah- that's a special circumstance. The Cold River is a designated wild river, which has stricter regulations even than a wilderness area. No structures of any kind, including lean-tos, are permitted within 1 mile of a wild river. The lean-tos along the Cold River (Northern 1, 2, Cold River 1, 2, 3, 4, Oluska Pass, and Seward; for some reason Duck Hole 1 and 2 aren't included) are to be phased out. The plan (according to the High Peaks UMP) is to let them live out the remainder of their "natural life," and then remove each lean-to as it reaches the point that significant repairs/replacement are necessary.

That regulation doesn't apply to the whole park, though- just the Cold River area.

One other regulation that comes into mind concerns lean-to "clusters." More than 2 lean-tos aren't permitted in wilderness areas within a certain distance (I think it's half a mile). So areas like Duck Hole, Camp Four, Beaver Point, etc. are fine- but Marcy Dam obviously is not in compliance with this regulation. So at some point, Marcy Dam will be reduced to 2 Lean-tos. One of the five was removed last year, so there are only four there currently.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #36
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The stain used to protect the cedar on the Bear Lake leanto is different than the others. The lighter hue will likely remain for a long time with consistent reapplication to protect the light cedar. The other leantos use a dark brown stain. Many(most? all?) of the older leantos which have been rescued had not been stained to protect the wood in a very long time (plus the carving of names exposes the wood to the elements. As such, the wood aged. Between the aged wood (a lot didn't seem to be cedar either) and the dark brown stain, the color of Bear Lake L2 in comparison is markedly different.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
... with consistent reapplication ...
Let's talk to BorealChickadee about her plans for this year's consistent reapplication. Any reason to get out is a good one.

Some folks look good in plaids, some in denim. You look good in stain.

Ordin
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #38
tommy5402

Very cool....thank you
tommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote