Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #21
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I wish.
I've seen plenty signs of moose, but have yet to see one.
Black bear too for that matter.
I haven't seen an ADK moose yet, but a good number of tracks. As for bear, I've seen a number of them while hiking including this one yesterday at a southern ADK lake - the first shot is long distance view of lake and the 2nd is zoomed in on a bear that crossed the marshy area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4791.jpg (66.4 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4795.jpg (63.3 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by poconoron; 09-16-2014 at 02:04 PM..
poconoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #22
TheHappyHikers

Jockeybush? Just curious, ya know, bear season opens soon . . .
TheHappyHikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #23
Gman

I saw what I am certain was a moose the other day. It was too far away to make a positive identification. Only 3 things that big and dark...a horse, cow or moose and it definitely wasn't the first two.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #24
Ishmael8

The most signs of Moose I have seen is west of the Hudson River. Never saw one in person but I do have a few pictures on trail cam. All trail Cam pictures I have of Moose are just before sun up or during the night. They seem to be somewhat nocturnal. I guess.
Ishmael8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #25
rickhart

Not so much nocturnal as crepuscular. You can see them during the day, but they seem to have peak activity near dusk and dawn. If there's a pond where they often go, the best time to see them is likely to be the hour before dark.
Or probably the hour after dawn, but I'm a night-owl myself - often linger in the sleeping bag far too long.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
bridgeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc View Post
Tony Knowles Coastal trail at the end of the main runway at the Ted Stevens International Airport, Anchorage, AK.
My daughter was in Anchorage for an internship last year. I told her to take a walk on that trail and get a picture of a moose for me, sort of jokingly.

Less than an hour later she had spotted two moose, and many others throughout her trip.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
bobadkhunter

As ADK12986 states the area around Sabattis station is a great place to see moose. I've seen 5 the past few years and regularly get them on my trail cam as well as several of my friends have seen them (also on their trail cams).
I believe there to be at least 10 (these are the ones seen) in this area.
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #28
skillzman1

My son and I saw three moose while hunting whitetail this year. A cow and 2 younger ones. While putting on a drive over the mountain I came across several large piles of scat and 4 huge beds in the fresh snow. Later that day we saw them as we walked through the woods back towards the truck. Pretty amazing to see something so large when you are expecting to see deer!
This was in West Corinth/ Day area along the south shore area of the Sacandaga, known by most as 'Mulleyville'. The cow was spotted last year with 1 youngster, this year she had 2 with her. No sighting of the Bull.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #29
Old Rivers

Vermont wildlife official just issued a warning to watch out for moose as they are leaving their winter yards and traveling for new growth areas.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:54 PM   #30
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron View Post
I haven't seen an ADK moose yet, but a good number of tracks. As for bear, I've seen a number of them while hiking including this one yesterday at a southern ADK lake - the first shot is long distance view of lake and the 2nd is zoomed in on a bear that crossed the marshy area.

Great catch...
Old 04-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #31
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rivers View Post
Vermont wildlife official just issued a warning to watch out for moose as they are leaving their winter yards and traveling for new growth areas.
They are all over the place now near roads.They like the salt in roadside ditches and go for new growth which will happen first in shallow water like roadside ponds and puddles.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #32
jjones

I go to Helldiver Pond near Inlet. need to get there early in the am like 5am there will be others there too. same moose comes back year after year from may into june
jjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 09:01 PM   #33
Alpine1

6 were just seen in Indian Lake over the past 2 days. The pictures were taken from a unnamed paved road.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 PM   #34
AdkGal

It was a close call!

A friend of mine just missed a moose with her car on Thursday, between Sugarbush and Vermontville. She said if she had a passenger they could have touched the thing as it stepped out to the side of the road. WHEW!
AdkGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #35
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
6 were just seen in Indian Lake over the past 2 days. The pictures were taken from a unnamed paved road.
Do you have any of those pictures you could share? I'd love to see an elusive ADK moose. As a side thought, I would think with a name like Moose River Plains there's a moose haven there...is this anywhere near being remotely true?
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #36
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Fox View Post
Do you have any of those pictures you could share? I'd love to see an elusive ADK moose. As a side thought, I would think with a name like Moose River Plains there's a moose haven there...is this anywhere near being remotely true?
Try looking up Indian Lake Chamber of Commerce FB page. I believe that's where I saw the postings.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moose