Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
pennyanmurph

Waterfall Hike

My wife and I are planning a 3 day hike in June, and are looking for some waterfalls along the way. We'll probably stay in the southern half of the park, and would love to have some pools near the falls to swim in as well. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

-Pat
pennyanmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Hi Pennyanmurph,
Curious if you're talking about a 3 day backpacking trip, or 3 day hikes from a basecamp, or otherwise?
Along marked trails only, or is bushwhacking also an option?
How many miles per day are you looking to cover?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
TBPDPTI

T-Lake falls?

The other 56: Summer: 55/56 (1st); 12/56 (2nd); 4/56 (3rd); 3/56 (4th) Winter: 13/56 (1st); 3/56 (2nd); 1/56 (3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #4
pennyanmurph

We'll be camping in one spot for both nights, but would like to do up to 3 or 4 mile (one way) day hikes from there. Bushwacking is fine. TPBDPTI, I'll check out T-Lake Falls. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Justin
Moving along

T Lake Falls is nice, but do use caution at the top. Many people have fallen because of its rounded top.
Just to name a few others, Rock Pond Brook, Wolf Pond outlet, and Berrymill Pond outlet in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness all have nice waterfalls.
In the Silver Lake Wilderness, the West Branch Sacandaga River, Jimmy Creek, and Cold Brook all have dramatic falls to discover.
In the Siamese Ponds Wilderness, the East Branch Sacandaga River, Shanty Brook, and Hour Pond Outlet have nice waterfalls, and Peaked Mountain Brook has many lovely cascades as well.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

Dug Mountain Brook Falls is supposed to be nice, it is at the southern end of Indian Lake. I had been going to go there last summer but ran out of time. You can get information on many falls in the Discover The Adirondacks series, they can be had from libraries or they are worth buying if you will be coming back to an area repeatedly.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
pennyanmurph

It sounds like there is a slightly easier (safer) path that leads to the bottom of the falls from what I've read. It would still involve coming from the T-Lake lean-to. Is that true?
Old 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyanmurph View Post
It sounds like there is a slightly easier (safer) path that leads to the bottom of the falls from what I've read. It would still involve coming from the T-Lake lean-to. Is that true?
No, coming from the T Lake lean-to would bring you to the top of the falls.
The route to the base of the falls begins from the end of Mountain Home Road and leads up the South Branch West Canada Creek valley.
Both routes are around 6 miles one-way, and follow portions of unmarked paths that may difficult to follow in sections.
More info on the route from Mountain Home Rd can be found in this thread HERE.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Yes, people have not only fallen, but also died at T-Lake Falls. Do use extreme caution- it is much more treacherous than it looks. The DEC ceased maintaining the trail to the top of the falls a few years back for this reason. And honestly, I thought the view from the top of the falls was pretty lackluster...

Wanika Falls might be a good option- about 5 to 6 miles in, and there is a nice designated tent site there. From there, you can also day hike to Moose Pond, or if you're ambitious, to Duck Hole, another good option that is well worth visiting (even after the dam was breached). It's not in the southern half of the park, though.

Justin's suggestion of Rock Pond Falls is also a good one... plenty of beautiful sites in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
bluequill

Here is a link to waterfalls in NY State with maps and short descriptions.

http://nyfalls.com/waterfalls/

If you click on the waterfall name (some, not all) it will give you more info, photos etc.

Last edited by bluequill; 02-13-2014 at 05:07 PM..
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
oldcoach

This site may also be useful:
http://nnywaterfalls.com/
oldcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
RichieC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Yes, people have not only fallen, but also died at T-Lake Falls. Do use extreme caution- it is much more treacherous than it looks. The DEC ceased maintaining the trail to the top of the falls a few years back for this reason. And honestly, I thought the view from the top of the falls was pretty lackluster...
I have not been there yet, it is on my list. But apparently the falls is not visible from the top as one might expect from a "normal" falls… so they inch their way out to try. It is rounded and not dangerous in appearance. From what people have written, you can't see it from that vantage point… ever - but people keep going farther, the rock is smooth and slippery, once you start to slide, you can't stop, and end up at the bottom, a very long ways down.

Then all your friends come from far and wide to gather, when they were too busy to do so when everyone is alive…

Like I said, I have not been to this falls, but i have stepped on slightly wet, worn smooth granite, and a fall of 4 ft left me a hunched and bleeding shell of what I was a split second before. I don't step on any wet rocks carelessly anymore. Can't imagine how a 100 ft drop would feel. So i have taken the advice of not screwing around the top of this falls at all to heart! No matter how benign it appears.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Just to reiterate the potential danger at the top of T Lake Falls...
According to an entry that I read in the Mad Tom Brook trailhead register last fall, "there was a dead black bear at the base of T Lake Falls which smelled horrible".
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #14
Herkimite

Tenant Creek Falls in the Wilcox Lake Wild Forest. Hamilton County, near the border of Saratoga County, just south of the Warren/Saratoga county line. Three beautiful waterfalls within a couple of miles. You do realize though that June is peak bug season.
Herkimite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #15
pennyanmurph

Yea, I've been thinking about the bugs. Not the best time to go, but these are a couple of the few days that my wife and I both have off together this summer. We'll skip the T-Lake Falls this time, though I do want to check them out from the safer route some time. We've been looking at Groff Creek Falls, anybody been there?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
* We've been looking at Groff Creek Falls, anybody been there?
I haven't been to the falls on Groff Creek (yet), but I was in that area a couple weeks ago up on Groff Mountain. The path up the valley isn't marked, but it was very easy to follow.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
Tick Magnet

Quote:
We've been looking at Groff Creek Falls, anybody been there?
Here's a link to a hike we did to Groff Cr. Falls in May of 2013. http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=18612

Nice hike, easy to follow the old road and spectacular falls/cascades/pools. I'm not sure how the swimming would be in the plunge pools. It was a little chilly for that when we were there.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #18
wildbrookies

Hey if you want to see a lot of waterfalls and hike a large loop..I recommend going to the Ausable Club Property and seeing Beaver Falls, Rainbow Falls plus smaller falls along the way given they are flowing..plus if you want to hike farther there is Artist Falls and many more on the other side of the gorge(Ausable L. outlet). You might want to look into this area, given its not the4 southern Adks, but ,has more falls in a nice loop if planned right. Hope this helps somewhat.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #19
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Hey if you want to see a lot of waterfalls and hike a large loop..I recommend going to the Ausable Club Property and seeing Beaver Falls, Rainbow Falls plus smaller falls along the way given they are flowing..plus if you want to hike farther there is Artist Falls and many more on the other side of the gorge(Ausable L. outlet). You might want to look into this area, given its not the4 southern Adks, but ,has more falls in a nice loop if planned right. Hope this helps somewhat.

WB
There is some nice camping nearby on Gill Brook as well. Plus you could incorporate a climb up to Indian Head, or even Colvin to take in the scenery overlooking Lower Ausable Lake.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM   #20
Justin
Moving along

I hear Ok Slip Falls is nice also.
Some cool photos can be found here on this website.