Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you think about the prospect of ordering an ADKForum shirt/vest
Yeah, I prefer the shirts. I would likely order 1 or more of them. 53 58.24%
Yup, I'm more of a vest person, and I would rather order 1 or more vests. 23 25.27%
Nope, practical as they may be, I'm not interested in spending $20-25 on ADKForum wear. 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Mavs00
I am the sith

ADKForum Hiking Shirts? (non-cotton).

Do we want an ADKForum shirt/vest? PLEASE take time and answer the above poll.

I was rummaging through a "utility" drawer this weekend and came across this;

Pretty cool . It then led me back to -THIS THREAD- and I realized that we did not really ever do anything about it. Most seemed to want something other then a patch, which is cool. I did a little research and quickly came to realized that unless we ordered quantities of over 144 (to many for us), a logo'ed ceramic mug or beer mug would be in the $12-$14 range. Too steep and we'd likely end up with a ton leftover.

I looked into "wicking" performance t-shirts w/screening, or Fleece's and was able to come up with a couple options if we're interested.

For shirts, I was able to find these stylish 100% poly shirts;

We'd order the white/forest (see swatch) and have the left chest screened with the 3 color ADKForum logo above, except we'd use the one on the forum header (Yellow on Green w/ red disc).

We'd have to get an order together of at least 25 in order to make it worth our while. The price would be in the $23 - $24 range, which is pretty reasonable for a 3-color logo'd performance (wicking) shirt.

The other option, would be to do a logo'd fleece vest that would cost about $21-$22 bucks (if we got 25 or more orders). For that we would run a limited patch order and have the patches sewn directly on the vest (I find that that works best. We'd sell the balance of the patches for like $4

I found the following 8oz 100% poly fleece vest.

Product description:

Quote:
100% polyester fleece with finished non-pill on face; unisex fleece vest with open-hem and inside toggles; front-zip pockets; back yoke and binding on armholes; single-needle topstitching on seams; center front full-zip closure; inside zipper is clean-finished with taping; anti-pill and wind-resistant
It would look sharper, and we would run the brown patches above (except with Adirondack Wilderness instead of High Peaks Wilderness Area).

Either way, I think that either would be quite cool to have either.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

I am partial to long sleeve T's iff I can easily push the cuffs up over my elbow. More versatile.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Emily T
WMass

I just voted for a vest, because I'm more likely to use something like that year-round. But, I might order a T-shirt too, if I liked it enough. I'm not too crazy about the side panels on the example...but,that's just a personal preference!

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."
-- Mark Twain
Emily T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
adktyler
previously adk88

I voted for a vest, too. I like shirts, but have plenty. I just wouldn't want to purchase a vest if it was going to be a lot more expensive than a shirt.

Cool project!
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
kwc
loser

I'm with Russ ... I prefer the Long Sleeve shirt.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK88 View Post
I voted for a vest, too. I like shirts, but have plenty. I just wouldn't want to purchase a vest if it was going to be a lot more expensive than a shirt.

Cool project!
Vest would be a few bucks cheaper, likely.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Lute Hawkins

I voted for the vest because I like vests...but I have a problem with the "unisex" description. Real mountain men don't wear unisex clothing. Can something be done about that?
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute Hawkins View Post
I voted for the vest because I like vests...but I have a problem with the "unisex" description. Real mountain men don't wear unisex clothing. Can something be done about that?
Personally I'd prefer a hiking SKIRT.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

I am definitely in need of a new hiking shirt!
The only one I've been using for the past couple years is in dire need of replacement.
I might be interested in purchasing a shirt.

When I pass other folks along the trail, I can't help but think "I wonder if they are ADKforum members." Sometimes I ask, but most times they never heard of it, so other times I don't bother to ask.
Although I was lucky enough to meet a couple members on the trail before, I have also past by members of this forum on the trail, and didn't even realize it until after wards!
It'd be nice to have a shirt on that some of our members would recognize, and help us members get the chance to meet each other a little more.
Just curious...
Would this project be benefiting the ADKHighpeaks Foundation, the ADKforum, or other wise?

Last edited by Justin; 08-04-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
Vest would be a few bucks cheaper, likely.
Then I'm all for that! I've been needing one for awhile. But whatever everyone else is down for, and whatever is easiest for you.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Would this project be benefiting the ADKHighpeaks Foundation, the ADKforum, or other wise?
When it comes to offering a performance wicking shirt w/ a 3-color screen for around $23-$24, you're not talking about a whole lot of profit. (perhaps 2-3 bucks a shirt tops. First and foremost, this is a service to this community for pretty much EXACTLY the reasons you mention. Hopefully, you'll see one of these out and the trail one day and say "Hey, that's a fellow ADKF'er" and start up a conversation.

As for the excess, it will go into the foundation, primarily earmarked to UPGRADE the software and hosting for this site. You may not notice it from the outside, but this software is barely chugging along. It has not been upgraded in several years. In order to do so, it is gonna cost $$. Right now, the foundation keeps this place running. So really, the two our tied together. Support the foundation, support the forum. Support the forum, support the foundation. But, the short answer is, the little bit of excess from the shirt sale will go to the upgrade of this forum.

All that aside, for about the same price (or within a buck or so), we can go with a long sleeve. Same material (100% polyester, wicking) Something like this;

Old 08-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #12
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
"Hey, that's a fellow ADKF'er"
Must be the jr hs teacher in me, but I read that as an abbrev for something else!

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Neil
Admin

I like that long-sleeved orange shirt. I will order several of them.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
this is a service to this community for pretty much EXACTLY the reasons you mention.

As for the excess, it will go into the foundation, primarily earmarked to UPGRADE the software and hosting for this site.
Ok thanks Tim!
In that case, put me down for a vote for a T-shirt, and a vest, and a long sleeve T-shirt.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ok thanks Tim!
In that case, put me down for a vote for a T-shirt, and a vest, and a long sleeve T-shirt.
I'd do the same as Justin!
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #16
Lute Hawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I like that long-sleeved orange shirt. I will order several of them.
Whooooooa there --- that may be "orange" to Canadians unfamiliar with ripe citrus fruits, but down here in the States we call it "pumpkin-rind yellow".
Lute Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:45 AM   #17
Judgeh

If you make it, I will buy it.

Any chance of dancing bananas on the shirt sleeves?
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #18
whitefoot

I would order 1 or more of the shirts, although I dont think white is a good choice for hiking, it will eventually be brown from dirt and sweat dont ya think?
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 AM   #19
Rockledge

I like the vest but I already have a couple of them so I voted for the shirt. I agree that white may not be the best option though. Something like tan/forest green would look sharp if available. Long sleeve would be fine too. If the vest wins out I would likely order one anyway to support the Foundation.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #20
Kevin
**BANNED**

Maybe. I typically avoid wearing patches and other stuff with labels on it. It sometimes starts conversations I'm not interested in having at any time that logo/item is on. But to support the forum it's a nice item, better than patches!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote