Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Current and Historical Affairs
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #41
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Heaven forbid we tell families completely reliant on welfare to not have any more children (good luck figuring out how to impose that though ). We were all raised to believe China was evil, and often cited as proof was their quota on newborn children for each family. Now we see why - left unchecked, we (humans) procreate without any thought to how we will sustain that exponential boom in population. We build housing taller and slaughter houses bigger, expecting the Earth's finite resources to magically stretch to absorb whatever we throw at it. We also fail to consider the genetics we pass down, with direct correlations to many common, expensive, and currently incurable health ailments we pass on to our offspring. Sadly, procreation is so closely tied to our existence it's good evidence that we aren't that removed from the very creatures we feel we have dominion over. So if all the population rules apply to the balance in the greater system, why is it not practiced and expected in our own society? Do we really need a monster virus to wipe us out every couple centuries to keep us in check?

This is drift, but underlying the problems discussed here are the more fundamental issues like overpopulation. I guess unless we stick to talking about the weather there's going to have to be some OT since under the surface there's stronger currents at play in all issues.

So we shouldn't build the road because there will be nobody to drive on it due to overpopulation?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #42
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
So we shouldn't build the road because there will be nobody to drive on it due to overpopulation?
Exactly

I'll do the math for you Rik, as I know from prior posts you need the extra help from time to time ...

More rich vacationers buy land, but they're temporary/seasonal residents. The year-round residents, often poorer and who work FOR the richer vacationers are unable to make a living and/or afford the taxes, and are being forced out. With fewer year round residents the road in question won't be as needed since there will be fewer people using it.

Overpopulation has forced many issues on us, from pollution to city/suburb congestion. These factors drive city dwellers to buy vacation homes to get away from the congestion. I live in a rural area not far from a major city, so I have peace and quiet but can also live/work from here. I don't need to buy a vacation home since there isn't anything 'wrong' with my home. I can vacation by pulling out the grill and some lawn chairs.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #43
Neil
Admin

Thread drift is the spice of life.

Humans have 98.5 % of the exact same genes as chimps.
China is building a new coal fired power plant every 2 days and will do so for the next 2 years.
India is putting hundreds of thousands of new cars on the road annually.
The ski resort in Saudi Arabia (Ski Dubai) burns 3000 barrels of oil per day.
Global warming is causing hundreds of new pests to invade our forest and fields wreaking irreparable havoc.

But I am not afraid. I shall do my bit and use re-usable plastic bags when I shop for my new gear to car camp at Rollins Pond next year.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #44
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
Heaven forbid we tell families completely reliant on welfare to not have any more children (good luck figuring out how to impose that though ). We were all raised to believe China was evil, and often cited as proof was their quota on newborn children for each family. Now we see why - left unchecked, we (humans) procreate without any thought to how we will sustain that exponential boom in population. We build housing taller and slaughter houses bigger, expecting the Earth's finite resources to magically stretch to absorb whatever we throw at it. We also fail to consider the genetics we pass down, with direct correlations to many common, expensive, and currently incurable health ailments we pass on to our offspring. Sadly, procreation is so closely tied to our existence it's good evidence that we aren't that removed from the very creatures we feel we have dominion over. So if all the population rules apply to the balance in the greater system, why is it not practiced and expected in our own society? Do we really need a monster virus to wipe us out every couple centuries to keep us in check?

This is drift, but underlying the problems discussed here are the more fundamental issues like overpopulation. I guess unless we stick to talking about the weather there's going to have to be some OT since under the surface there's stronger currents at play in all issues.
Yeah, can't you see that killer viruses, China, building height, evolution and eugenics are all totally related to whether we should build a highway in the North Country.
Duh!!

oh and don't talk smack about China. They just bought out the venerable news outlet The Onion (enjoy this nugget of hilarity while it lasts folks, they outdid themselves with the details)

Last edited by Hobbitling; 07-22-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #45
TBPDPTI

Well, hobbitling, the two are non-tangentially related. The point that Kevin is making, and which is true, is that the over-populated lifestyle of humans is, like the MATRIX so eloquently put it, like that of a virus: We consume every natural resource, then move on. Along the way, we do things which are likely not needed (visavis, build unnecessary roads). Things like this that are, most likely, going to be harmful and certainly unnecessary, needed to be stopped, and battled against. This includes proposed roads (sometimes), overpopulation, global warming, etc.
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #46
Kevin
**BANNED**

Chris is just warming up for the campfire this weekend...
Old 07-22-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Exactly

I'll do the math for you Rik, as I know from prior posts you need the extra help from time to time ...

More rich vacationers buy land, but they're temporary/seasonal residents. The year-round residents, often poorer and who work FOR the richer vacationers are unable to make a living and/or afford the taxes, and are being forced out. With fewer year round residents the road in question won't be as needed since there will be fewer people using it.

Overpopulation has forced many issues on us, from pollution to city/suburb congestion. These factors drive city dwellers to buy vacation homes to get away from the congestion. I live in a rural area not far from a major city, so I have peace and quiet but can also live/work from here. I don't need to buy a vacation home since there isn't anything 'wrong' with my home. I can vacation by pulling out the grill and some lawn chairs.
Maybe after a few more enlightening posts it all start to make sense to my barely functioning soft matter?
Let's see if I get it so far. These "rich vacationers" (they might as well be a different species from the poor "local" people that always do right and leave no impact as they drive back and forth to the mountains from their "rural area's not far from major cities" dozens of times each year.) are trying to get away from congestion while at the same time they are filling their homes, and vacation homes, with more and more babies?
It must be the diapers. Overpopulation leads to more polution in the form of diapers. The diapers are polluting the cities and driving the city dwellers to mountains where there are less diapers? Have I got it yet?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #48
Neil
Admin

The road to hell is paved with dirty diapers. One single infant's total diaper supply laid end to end would reach to Uranus.

Those rich people have gps's in their sleek vehicles that whip up and down the 87. I seen em. Cell phones too.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM   #49
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Have I got it yet?
Nope. Your brain matter must be too soft. Just trust that we know what's right for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPDPTI View Post
Well, hobbitling, the two are non-tangentially related. The point that Kevin is making, and which is true, is that the over-populated lifestyle of humans is, like the MATRIX so eloquently put it, like that of a virus: We consume every natural resource, then move on. Along the way, we do things which are likely not needed (visavis, build unnecessary roads). Things like this that are, most likely, going to be harmful and certainly unnecessary, needed to be stopped, and battled against. This includes proposed roads (sometimes), overpopulation, global warming, etc.
Pretty much sums it up. Instead of getting to the heart of the matter we continue to build around the problem. That attitude can be traced to the ideology driving most of the major environmental problems we're facing today. So let's continue to do things exactly as we are. If it aint broke, don't fix it.