Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Taisun27

Question Alternative High Peaks base camps to Marcy Dam, Lake Colden, Flowed Lands

Hi all!

My first time in the forum and planning my first overnight trip. I've been hiking in the Adirondacks, Greens, and Whites for years but never overnighted.

My plan(conditions permitting) is to hike in to the interior Sunday afternoon 6/20 setting up camp for a couple nights at Marcy Dam or Lake Colden and doing an Algonquin, Iroquois and Wright loop one day and Colden another with some exploring in between.

Questions are:

Will I have trouble finding a tent site?

Is there another similar area with tent sites surrounded by peaks?

Would it be better to come from AdkLoj due to mud/bugs over Upperworks this time of year?

And I'd appreciate any tips on lower elevation trips as a backup plan if that's what happens.

Thanks for any and all insights!!
(I've read all camping regs and trying to educate myself as best as possible)
Taisun27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algonquin peak, alternative route, camping, conditions, marcy dam