Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
peregrinfalcon

Does Steripen UV light work with ADK water

Concerned that the "stained" waters common in the area will not work with UV water purifiers. Any feedback would really help. thanks
peregrinfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrinfalcon View Post
Concerned that the "stained" waters common in the area will not work with UV water purifiers. Any feedback would really help. thanks
Works fine. I suggest getting the strainer that they sell to keep the sediment out.

I've used the steripen for three years now in the dacks and it has done all that is required.

hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
peregrinfalcon

thanks for reassurance.

I have a steripen and was concerned the discolored water would not allow the UV light to work. Thanks!
peregrinfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

filter to get algae out and then steripen. Unless of course you like sterile algae.

The water is not discolored; rather typical of evergreen forests. Boreal region of Canada makes Adirondack water look more like bottled water. Steripen works fine in Northern Ontario.

Its just tea..tannic acid from the trees. Some think of it as pollution.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Neil
Admin

What sort of battery power does the steripen run on?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
yellowcanoe

depends on the model

http://www.batteryjunction.com/steripen-batteries.html
Old 04-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
randomscooter
Native Earthling

How do we know this steripen really works? Does anyone want to volunteer to be the control for an evaluation? Oh wait, I think there may be a taker for that job. From a thread on adkhighpeaks forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisjrf View Post
What process did you use to treat the water?
I let my immune system take care of it. It's ultra-light.
I've never trusted my water filter either. But I just pump the water and drink it. Go figure. Still, I haven't gotten sick yet. I also bought me an asteroid deflector belt that seems to be doing the trick.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
How do we know this steripen really works? Does anyone want to volunteer to be the control for an evaluation? Oh wait, I think there may be a taker for that job. From a thread on adkhighpeaks forum:

I've never trusted my water filter either. But I just pump the water and drink it. Go figure. Still, I haven't gotten sick yet. I also bought me an asteroid deflector belt that seems to be doing the trick.
Is that asteroid with one s or 2? And what kind of roids?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
yellowcanoe

One person used one for several weeks in Wabakimi. That is Northern Ontario. Water is much more stained than Adirondack water as few hardwoods grow up there. Its black spruce and jackpine country with muskeg and caribou.

I cant justify that expense though as my Mini works works just fine. In Wabakimi too.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
saveatree,eatabeaver

I love my steripen, however precautions have to be taken. I will say that its the only type of "filtration"/sterilization device i've ever owned, so i don't have a whole lot of experience to go on.

The only time I've ever had a problem was in the 5 ponds wilderness area near Cat Mtn. I was coming out when i stopped to fill up. The steripen quit halfway though the treatment due to cheap batteries (they were new, just not quality batteries). I drank the water anyway because I had to. About a week and a half later, it hit like a brick in the face.

The steripen won't do anything for the taste of the water. If you take water from a stagnant beaver pond, thats exactly what it will taste like. Its still worth it for the weight savings and speed. The price has literally halved since I bought mine, so they are much more reasonable when looked at on a per gallon basis.

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.
saveatree,eatabeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:42 AM   #11
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveatree,eatabeaver View Post
The steripen quit halfway though the treatment due to cheap batteries (they were new, just not quality batteries). I drank the water anyway because I had to. About a week and a half later, it hit like a brick in the face.
You know, I've heard a lot of stories about Steripens quitting in the woods without warning. Do they not have a battery strength meter on them? It seems like carrying iodine as an emergency backup might not be a bad idea when using a Steripen.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
Vermont Scott

I've had no problems with Aquamira, no muss, no fuss, no batteries. I just don't understand why it isn't more popular. http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamir...eatment-drops/

Scott
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
You know, I've heard a lot of stories about Steripens quitting in the woods without warning. Do they not have a battery strength meter on them? It seems like carrying iodine as an emergency backup might not be a bad idea when using a Steripen.
No, they don't have a battery strength meter on them. I don't think it's difficult to know how many times it will filter on a set of batteries and like headlamps, gps's etc, make sure that I have good batteries prior to leaving. If on a long through hike, get a fresh set of batteries before you leave and save the older ones to use on shorter or day trips.

Whether you use a steri-pen or another conventional type filter, it's always a good idea to have a back-up purification system, even if it's just matches to boil water.

Having used various filters over the years, my system of choice is now the steri-pen.

Hawk
Old 04-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont Scott View Post
I've had no problems with Aquamira, no muss, no fuss, no batteries. I just don't understand why it isn't more popular. http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamir...eatment-drops/

Scott
I've used Aquamira in the past, and it certainly does taste better than iodine. I've had some issues with it, nothing major, nitpicks really, but combined it's made me prefer other purification methods.

For starters, waiting the five minutes for the solution to mix in the cap... I've found that it's incredibly easy if you don't set the cap someplace safe to forget about it and end up spilling it.

Also, I've had some issues with the bottles the Aquamira comes in... I've had some break and leak all over the inside of my pack. They don't seem as durable as they could be.

Plus, I think that a lot of people are are more willing to spend 5 minutes pumping water through a filter if it means they can drink it immediately, rather than are willing to wait 20 minutes or half an hour before they can drink their treated water (even though they don't have to go through the agony of pumping it!).

And finally, I think that on a psychological level, people feel as though they are cooler and look more like they know what they are doing when they are carrying around a 70 dollar water filter or a 100 dollar Steripen.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Vermont Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
Plus, I think that a lot of people are are more willing to spend 5 minutes pumping water through a filter if it means they can drink it immediately, rather than are willing to wait 20 minutes or half an hour before they can drink their treated water (even though they don't have to go through the agony of pumping it!).

And finally, I think that on a psychological level, people feel as though they are cooler and look more like they know what they are doing when they are carrying around a 70 dollar water filter or a 100 dollar Steripen.
All good points. I've spent 20 minutes pumping water through partially plugged filters and that was making me nuts. So 20 minutes of passive waiting for chemistry to do the work was fine with me. They have these cool gravity flow filters for water purification now so you don't even have to pump.

The one thing the Steripen does that filters alone can't do is eliminate viruses which is a big plus. And you are right, the filters and steripen are really cool gadgets and chemically treating the water is boring.

I was on a backpacking trip years ago with my ex and her brother. She was filtering water from Pharaoh Lake and fell in. Her brother and I didn't care too much about her, we rushed in to get the filter-maybe that's why we ended up divorced
Old 04-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #16
colden46

Can someone explain the advantage of a Steripen to me? It doesn't weigh a whole lot less (8oz w/ alkaline batteries vs 11oz for a Katadyn Hiker, and no difference at all if you need to carry backup batteries), takes longer to pump a quart, has the potential for batteries to die, and seems like it would be more difficult to fill up from marginal water sources. Ok, you don't have to pump, but the only time pumping has bothered me is when my filter needs replacing and it becomes a physical workout.

I suppose the fact that Steripen claims to be a purifier and not just a filter is a nice feature, but I don't travel to 3rd world countries or other places where I have to worry that much about the water. (And if I did, I would probably use both -- filter then use a steripen)
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by colden46 View Post
Can someone explain the advantage of a Steripen to me? It doesn't weigh a whole lot less (8oz w/ alkaline batteries vs 11oz for a Katadyn Hiker, and no difference at all if you need to carry backup batteries), takes longer to pump a quart, has the potential for batteries to die, and seems like it would be more difficult to fill up from marginal water sources. Ok, you don't have to pump, but the only time pumping has bothered me is when my filter needs replacing and it becomes a physical workout.

I suppose the fact that Steripen claims to be a purifier and not just a filter is a nice feature, but I don't travel to 3rd world countries or other places where I have to worry that much about the water. (And if I did, I would probably use both -- filter then use a steripen)
Takes up less space then a filter. Kills viruses. Doesn't have to pump. Kills Viruses Doesn't clog. Kills viruses. And weighs less even with a spare set of batteries then my old filters did. Did I mention that it kills viruses?

Hawk
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
colden46

So that's the big thing, it kills viruses? (That's mostly what I was getting at by saying it's a purifier vs a filter). As a serious question, were you getting sick a lot after previous hiking trips, so as to make you not trust your filter? I've yet to get sick after a trip, so I've never really worried that my filter might be insufficient for what I've been using it for. Heck, I've filled bottles straight from streams and springs w/out filtering at all. To each their own, I guess.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
paddlewheel

Quote:
So that's the big thing, it kills viruses? (That's mostly what I was getting at by saying it's a purifier vs a filter). As a serious question, were you getting sick a lot after previous hiking trips, so as to make you not trust your filter? I've yet to get sick after a trip, so I've never really worried that my filter might be insufficient for what I've been using it for. Heck, I've filled bottles straight from streams and springs w/out filtering at all. To each their own, I guess.
Real men drink water out of the ponds like a horse & gargle with Jim Beam...
Old 04-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #20
redhawk

Quote:
I was once on an Extended backpacking trip. I was 50 miles from nowhere, no trail, no nothing. Drinking only from the purest of streams. I got a gastric virus that had me vomiting and diarheaa for three days and unbelievable pain. I became severely dhydrated and had no strength. I was alone and wasn't sure i would survive.

Since that trip I have always taken every precaution that I could to keep the odds in my favor.

So, for me, it's that important. But the virus killing is still a bonus. Even without that i would prefer the steripen, having used all other filters in the past.

Hawk