Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Tick Magnet

Berrymill Pond, PLWA, 23 Feb, 2017

Today's short hike to Berrymill Pond in the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness had two objectives for Tredhed and I. The first, was to confirm the good news that the Mt Severance Country Store is open and still making delicious sandwiches. The second goal for today was to check out the new lean-to at Berrymill Pond.

An early start got us to Schroon Lake to quickly confirm the Mt. Severance Country Store is open. They made a couple of awesome sandwiches us for lunch. The store looks a little different on the inside, but most of the stuff is there and I'm glad it's back open. We'll be returning soon!

Hitting the Putnam Pond Campground parking lot a few minutes later, we quickly donned the snowshoes and headed up the trail.

The initial climb up the trail is through a beautiful stand of white birch.

The trail gains a couple hundred feet in elevation and enters a nice hemlock woods.

The trail conditions were soft and spring-like in the 50 weather. We decided to take the detour around the wetland and made a couple crossings of the Berrymill Pond outlet on good bridges.

The 1.9 miles passed quickly and soon enough, we arrived at our second objective, the new (2016) Berrymill Pond lean-to.

The lean-to was in great shape with no trash and some fresh kindling wood left by the last occupants from a couple days ago. We settled down and enjoyed our Mt. Severance Country Store sandwiches. After lunch, we decided to explore a little.

The melting snow exposed some of the rock formations nearby, creating a neat perspective.

We then struck out for the main body of the lake. The ice looked like it was straining under the weight of all the meltwater. Needless to say, we didn't venture out on to the lake. It was probably OK, but...

I especially liked this white pine towering over Thunderbolt Mt.

Heading back to the parking lot, we decided to take the shortcut across the beaver meadow. Although there was a tricky creek crossing on some small logs, this gave us a great view of the Berrymill Pond outlet and surrounding marshes.

The rest of the walk back was a breeze in the warm temps and bright sunshine. We met both of our objectives for the day, and were able to enjoy a few hours in some beautiful woods. Thanks to Tredhed for the company and the use of a few of his pictures in today's trip report.

Last edited by Tick Magnet; 02-23-2017 at 08:28 PM..
Tick Magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Great photos T-Mag, thanks for sharing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Thanks Justin. Great day to be up there.

The new LT is a real gem.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
kwc
loser

Great photos, thanks for sharing your adventure!!

gotta get that way sometime soon ... so many places to explore.

Once a year, go some where you've never been before.
kwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #5
danceswithflies

Great report.

Does this lean-to replace the old one or are there now two lean-tos? When I was there a few years ago the lean-to seemed in decent shape.
danceswithflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithflies View Post
Does this lean-to replace the old one or are there now two lean-tos? When I was there a few years ago the lean-to seemed in decent shape.
I remember the old lean-to had a very low overhang, and you really needed to watch bonking your head entering & exiting the lean-to, and I also remember that it was leaning towards the right quite a bit, almost like it was going to fall over...

Last edited by Justin; 02-24-2017 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: added photo
Old 02-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #7
Tick Magnet

Thanks for the props!

We were last there in 2013 and the old LT didn't look too bad.

The old LT was removed and we could see flagging where it was. The new LT sits about 50' to the north in a clearing atop a small knoll.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #8
snapper
snapper

Thanks for the photos, update on the lean-to and sharing your adventure. Much appreciated!

Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 AM   #9
Golddragon214

I am looking to explore the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness this spring or summer. Thanks for yet another great place to try and do a short hike.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #10
Tick Magnet

Thanks folks!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
Justin
Moving along

One of my favorite & fairly easy trail/bushwhack loops is to hike the trail to Berrymill Pond, then follow its outlet down to the trail along the east side of Putts Ponds & back to the parking area. The woods are pretty open with some nice rapids & a couple neat waterfalls along the way, especially during the spring melt.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
real3175

Thanks for posting!
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #13
Tick Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
One of my favorite & fairly easy trail/bushwhack loops is to hike the trail to Berrymill Pond, then follow its outlet down to the trail along the east side of Putts Ponds & back to the parking area. The woods are pretty open with some nice rapids & a couple neat waterfalls along the way, especially during the spring melt.
I considered doing that during my hike planning, but for some reason decided not to pursue it. I like the route as it has some drop and looks fairly simple to follow. I always enjoyed the view of that creek from the Putnam Pond trail.

Maybe next time.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #14
Trail Boss

Looks like a lovely place! Thanks for the TR!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
Tick Magnet

Thanks Boss!