Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
PaPaZeus

Lightbulb MOOSE! in Poland NY

SO I cam einto work on wednesday and was greeted by picture from my boss. They were taken by her mother in poland of a Male moose in the field across from their farm.

Good to see them straying this far south. Hopefully meaning a growing population.

However it could be bad as well ex. Sickness, Human pressure, lack of food, lack of females pushing them farther south.

She told me that her father has a hunting camp near pesico / noblesboro and the game warden there has seen tracks and been confronted by a large male many years ago.

moose1.jpg

Whatdayall think?
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
yellowcanoe

Could also mean there are many males. Not necessarily lack of females. Males compete for females and the loser is chased off.

There are moose farther south in Connecticut. Lets hope this one does not meet with unhappiness with a car.

So it could be encouraging news.. or maybe not if brainworm is involved.

BTW the picture does not show up.. I don't think you can do a direct attachment if thats what you tried.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
St.Regis

About this time of year, but close to 20 years ago, there was a big bull that set up shop in a pasture near in northeast Cayuga County. He hung around with the dairy cows for about two weeks before the DEC moved him back to the Adirondacks. They cut off both of his antlers before the transport. They gave one antler to the dairy farmer and the other to the neighboring landowner where they moved him from.

Moral of the story - if you're really horny and hangout in the neighborhood too long, we're gonna shoot ya, cut ya up, then take ya for long drive to the woods. Bada Bing Bada Boom
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #4
TheHappyHikers

Thanks for the chuckle SR!
TheHappyHikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Wldrns

It was in the late 1970s that bull moose began appearing in the dairy pastures of Lewis County, just west of the Blue Line. They would simply walk through barbed wire fences. The thought was they were heading west from Vermont, upwind, in search of a mate. Dairy cows provided a similar scent, but not quite the same. I remember one or more bull moose standing on the edge of a pasture, overlooking the dairy cows, with a look on his face as if to say... "well it's close, but there's something not quite right about this"...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Appa Trail Susan

Foto doesn't show

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
BTW the picture does not show up.. I don't think you can do a direct attachment if thats what you tried.

As of Sept 14, foto still doesn't show...
Appa Trail Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
CrisisBill

They seem to pop up in the strangest places, years ago one was killed on the Thruway south of Kingston, also spotted as far south as Fishkill, NY near route 84.
I have been lucky enough to see moose near Speculator and in Moose River Plains.
CrisisBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
ScarletAmiee76
Not all who wander are lost

We were on our way to the Vanderwhacker Primitive Area on Friday (9/26) and came across a Big Moose in the road! Luckily in the other lane! What a sight to behold! Twas our first moose encounter!
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings, Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. As age comes on, one source of enjoyment after another is closed, but nature's sources never fail. - John Muir
ScarletAmiee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #9
PaPaZeus

My apologies for not reuploading the picture... its just a grainy cell phone picture of the moose i recieved via text message. I dont hink I have it anymore if I do Ill post it.
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
bobadkhunter

A small bull moose was struck and killed by a car up here in Waddington(along the st.lawrence river) . Honda Civic towed away, driver ok. on Wed. evening(10/1).
bobadkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote