Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Justin
Moving along

Belts

Hi all,
I need some help finding a good belt.
I suffer from chronic lower back pain from years of abuse to it in my line of work. I'm always on the look-out for a good, thick, sturdy, heavy duty belt to use while working, as well as for hiking, backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing, and even paddling.

I've been pretty good about doing my stretches and exercises which help immensely, but occasionally I still have some troubles especially after a long day of hard work, or a long day or weekend in the woods, or when sitting in the canoe for a long time.

I do use back bracing belts from time to time, but I wish I could find that one magic belt...
I'm not sure if there's a belt out there like this, but I'm looking for something that can be worn with any pair of pants or shorts with belt loops, and has some sort of added support and/or cushioning in the lower lumbar region...

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Justin; 01-26-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
geogymn

I wish I can help out pal but I have no answers. I wish I was as mobile as you and I have no back problems. I hope you will fare well.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Justin
Moving along

Thanks geogymn.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Justin
Moving along

A few years ago I bought a Bison Designs Last Chance Heavy Duty Belt from EMS which I really like, but I wish there was a little more padding in the lumbar region to help fill that little hollow space between the belt and my lower back. I can easily fit 4 fingers in there when I wear the belt as tight as I can get it, and this is the area of my back that gets very sore after a long day.

I modified the belt a little with some rolled up cotton fabric and some duct tape, just to kind of show what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll try wearing this for a few days and see if it helps.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
Glen
Check please

Justin,

I can't help with a belt but I have had back issues over the years. Last spring I committed to a bushwack trip with Vtflyfish and a few days before the date my back went out. Bad. I told him I was willing to drive 5 hours to the trail head if he was willing to go it alone if I couldn't carry my pack. A co-worker of mine suggested the Salonpas patch. I was skeptical but between applying the patch and popping some Naproxen I was able to handle it. Not recommending meds without docs approval but you should ask about it. For me it works better than Motrin/Advil and lasts longer. At the end of a day of heavy lifting I was still ok.

Good Luck!
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Alpine1

Something like this belt might help?
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the replies guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Something like this belt might help?
I do use This belt from time to time, which is similar, but the main problem I have with that is it tends to slide up my torso away from the trouble area a little after a while, causing me to readjust it every so often which gets annoying, especially when I have a pack on.
Maybe the 4 inch one might be a little better.

And for what it's worth, I use This Belt (with suspenders) for work to carry my hand tools.

These belts do help a lot, but I wish that I could find a belt that will not only fit through normal pant belt loops, but also helps support the lower back...even if it was some kind of added attachment thing or something, where I could just clip or Velcro the support system onto the belt after it is put on.

Probably wishful thinking.
Like I said before...a "Magic Belt".

Any belt makers out there?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Justin
Moving along

...Somthing a little smaller than This, and perhaps a little firmer, that also has a couple belt loops on the outer side of it which allow you to wear it with any normal belt would be awesome...

Last edited by Justin; 02-04-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Uncle Alvah

I'm thinking what you might want is a "gun belt", they are made extra thick, stiff to help support the weight of a holster and handgun. Saying whether or not they would help your back is way above my paygrade, sorry.
This guy has an absolutely stellar reputation for making a top-notch product, check him out....they ain't cheap, but "Quality remains when price is forgotten!".

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Uncle Alvah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the link Uncle Alvah.
I actually was looking at gun belts in my searches.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Justin,

Instead of a belt, what about dealing with the problem in a more direct fashion? My lower back bothered me occasionally until I started doing back extensions in the gym. A quick google search will show you the machine (45 degree bench with something to hold your feet, really), the technique and how to do them without the machine.

I started doing these 30 years ago and never suffer back pain. It may or may not work for you but it's sure worth a try!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
skillzman1

I cant speak to the severity of your back issues. I will say that a few years ago I had to have an MRI of my lower lumbar..it showed 1 crushed disc,1 torn disc and 1 bulging disc..modifying my habits of over lifting helped to let the problem settle down. I have since taken up regular exercise at the gym...cardio and weight training. Nothing like I used to do when I was younger...just steady,consistent exercise. When I tried the core exercise machines/workouts involving training the lumbar area..it immediately flared my problem back up. It took a few months for it to settle down again. So I stay away from those specific exercises and I fair much better.
I'm a big proponent of regular, low to moderate impact exercises...from the time I was 18 until just 2 yrs ago(I'm 41) I regularly went to a good chiropractor 2-3 times a month...since the exercise routine..I go maybe 3 times a year. If I take a week to 2 weeks off from the gym..the aches start coming back. Dr. said I have severe arthritis in my spine and would likely be in a wheelchair as I got older....the regular exercise keeps the arthritis at bay. Might not work for every situation,but I really wish I had learned this years ago. It would likely have had greater benfits all along.
skillzman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Thanks guys.
Frequent stretching & exercising is essential for those with back problems, along with being sure how to lift things properly, and keeping backpack weight at a minimum.
Still, like I said before, I'm always on the lookout for a good sturdy heavy duty back supporting belt.
Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Troy64

Belts

+1 on the Beltman. He makes a great product.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote