Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
jkauff73

Long Lake

I have a co-worker who is renting a place on Long Lake this summer. The family enjoys fishing. Anyone know how it is on the lake? Are there other good fishing places in the area?
jkauff73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
wellsley

It can be a good lake to catch bass and northerns. My wife caught a white fish there last year. As far as other good fishing places in the area, well how far do you want to travel. Forked lake is not to far and Lake Eaton is right there.
wellsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
Adironzach

There are a lot of northern's up there and you'll be able to find them on almost any weed bed you find. white/silver and any combination with chartreuse are my go to colors for the lake. There are a lot of smaller northern's In the lake but there are a few monsters in there if you can find them. My PB for the lake is a 36" and have seen a few monsters follow to the boat before turning away as well. Been fishing it for almost two decades now since my grandparents got a house up there. If the water level is low, just be careful when flipping the shoreline. The lake isn't well marked and there are definitely a few large boulders that your prop wouldn't enjoy haha. Shouldn't be much fishing pressure either so you'll have your choice of spots. The big brook area has always produced for me as well as a number of bays along the western shore on the south end of the lake. One of my favorite spots is floating the channel that was in front of the old marina on the south end of the lake. Marina is no longer there, replaced by a giant house but that drift was always my go to if I wanted to catch fish. Good luck and im looking forward to see what you get into!
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:21 PM   #4
dano

I had a monster northernfollow a rapala in on the boatlaunch dock one year, will never forget that, looked like a shark, i pleaded for him to take itbut he turned around and swam back, i used every lure i had for the next two hours to no avail
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
PJFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
I had a monster northernfollow a rapala in on the boatlaunch dock one year, will never forget that, looked like a shark, i pleaded for him to take itbut he turned around and swam back, i used every lure i had for the next two hours to no avail
Would love to see that sight!
PJFFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
wellsley

Just got back from Long Lake, enjoy the pic's.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #7
wellsley

I caught several more northern's but I had to work for them. The water temp is 74 degrees so the big ones are deep at least during the day. The weather was beautiful and I had the lake almost to myself.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
ehsfishin72

Very nice pics.!!
ehsfishin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
wellsley

Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
nativeadk

Wellsley, nice fish. Looks like fun.

Consider this:
http://www.recycledfish.org/safe-ang...nd-release.htm
nativeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
wellsley

thanks nativeadk
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #12
PJFFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsley View Post
Just got back from Long Lake, enjoy the pic's.

That's a lot of good fishing! How big of a northern has followed your lure to the boat without taking over the years? Just curious as to what might be swimming around in these waters.

Patrick
PJFFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
wellsley

I had about a 48"er follow, I did a figure 8 and it just kept on swimming. It was the biggest Northern I've ever seen.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #14
Hard Scrabble

Pike on a down rigger??
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
wellsley

Yes sir. When the water gets hot the pike go deep. At least the bigger ones do. Otherwise your limited to mornings and night fishing.