Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #1
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quick Paddle on Essex Chain of Lakes

I found a few hours on Sunday and decided to finally do a quick trip to Essex Chain of Lakes. I had not been in there before and thought a bit of a recon was in order. I got to the empty parking lot at the Deer Pond Access a little before 3 pm and made my way down to Deer Pond and over to Third Lake.

I made my way down Third Lake with the wind at my back. Resident loon was not shy about letting me know that this was his lake.

The weedy entrance to Fourth Lake.

Fourth Lake

Unique entrance into Fifth Lake

Fifth Lake

Unfortunately, I hit my turnaround time at Fifth Lake and went no further. So back through the culvert.

When I got back to Third Lake the wind had increased to whitecaps, but with a little work I got back to the carry to Deer Pond.

While not pristine wilderness by any means, the paddling here certainly has a lot of potential as some other trippers have noted. I checked out a couple of campsites and all were lightly used and the prohibition of fires definitely helps mitigate the impact of camping. When I got back to the sign in I noticed that almost all the users this summer were day trips.

I made it back to the car by 6:00 with just under 7 miles of travel, only 1 1/2 miles of which were carries. I like that kind of ratio!

Last edited by Adk Keith; 08-08-2016 at 07:44 PM..
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Cool photos, Keith!
I have to admit, the ease of access & odd camping regs has made me less interested in this area, but your photos (as well as others') makes me want to do a few day-use only type trips there soon also.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Awww, Keith, you shoulda went the other way!!
Nice photos...
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #4
Adk Keith
Telemarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Awww, Keith, you shoulda went the other way!!
Nice photos...
I didn't want to get sucked down the drain!!

Thanks Justin!

Last edited by Adk Keith; 08-09-2016 at 02:54 PM..
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
mpn702

Thanks for the great pictures Keith! Out of curiosity, would you happen to have any campsite recommendations for the Essex Chain? I'm eyeing #4 on Third Lake or #1 on Fourth Lake...
mpn702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
Adk Keith
Telemarker

#1 on Fourth is nice but has a small tent area unless you go up toward the toilet.

I did not look at #4 on Third. I did note that from #3 on Third you would be able to see the private camps in the bay across the lake.