Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
LoMad

Treadway & Grizzle Ocean

Hello everyone! I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks, it seems like a fantastic resource, which leads me to my first (of what I'm sure will be many) questions. I'm going to be in Schroon Lake starting the Wednesday before Memorial Day (I live in Burlington, VT so it's an easy drive over after work) and will be staying with family while I'm there. I'd like to do Putnam Pond to Treadway, wtih a visit to Grizzle Ocean. I'm not in great shape (working on it!) and it seems like this is a bit more forgiving than Pharaoh, which was my initial plan. I'd like to do this on the Thursday before Memorial Day. The other thing I'd like is to take my 8 month old pup with me- it's probably on the high side of exercise for him, but he is a VERY high energy guy (a setter/beagle mix who after a 7 mile walk the other day looked at me like, that's it??) I've talked with my vet and he says not to worry unless it's high impact climbing on his joints. He's good on and off leash, and doesn't seem to care one bit about wildlife (people on the other hand he thinks are all his best friends).

My questions are is this a decent, full day? My family has some land, so I'll be camping out there to get the pup used to the tent, but I'm not looking to hike in, camp, and hike out. I'd like to just make it a full day. Do you think it'll be crowded? I'm hoping because it's before Memorial Day, and during the week, it won't be crazy. Is Treadway a bit more of a gentle climb, or are there pretty steep parts? Thanks for any/all help everyone!
LoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Bob K

Putnam to Treaway & Grizzle

These trails are fine for dogs with nothing really steep (no ladders, no hand & foot scrambling). Treadway is a great mountain and probably a bit gentler and less exposed than Pharaoh. There is a false summit with great views (and relaxing open rocks) if you or dog run out of energy at the end.

I was at Grizzle 2 weeks ago (with two dogs) and the trail is in fine shape (no snow, minimal mud). You will likely encounter some folks (Putnam is a NY State campground) but don't let this discourage you. On a weekday, chances are no crowds.

The combination of Treadway & Grizzle would be a nice day. Alternately for a slightly longer trip with more ponds, you could do Treadway (from the south end of Putnam) then return via the route past Clear then Rock (and Little Rock) on the west side of Putnam, then east & south to the trailhead. A bit more scenic in my opinion and a nice loop around Putnam Pond.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
LoMad

I was wondering when I was looking at google maps if you could loop around Putnam Pond. My aunt in Schroon Lake has a bunch of great maps, but of course I can't consult those until I'm there . Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoMad View Post
I was wondering when I was looking at google maps if you could loop around Putnam Pond. My aunt in Schroon Lake has a bunch of great maps, but of course I can't consult those until I'm there . Thanks for the advice!
Topo map of the Putnam Pond area
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
LoMad

Justin that map is great! I've been referring to it a bunch, very helpful for planning! Has anyone tried to get from Rock Pond to Gooseneck Pond? It seems a shame to have to go back to the road and take that trail in if we're already in (the pup and I). I also didn't see a trail going up Rock Pond Mountain, is it worth making an effort or is it just a hill?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

The bushwhack over to Gooseneck from just above the mine quarry pond near Rock Pond is not difficult, and well worth the effort.
And yes, Rock Pond Mtn does have some nice views.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Last summer, I did a loop from Rock Pond to Gooseneck Pond, over to Otter Pond, and back to Bear Pond. There's some rugged terrain along the vicinity, but nothing that is overly difficult. For the most part, the forest is pretty open.

The peninsula that separates the two legs of Gooseneck Pond is well worth planning to spend some time exploring. Lots of neat rock ledges in that area, especially on the south side of the peninsula.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote