Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
Gman

Fibreglass the new Bamboo

Anyone else have a interest in them? Some of these new glass rods are gorgeous and cast beautifully. Action is a little like bamboo but rods are lighter and more durable. Graphite is a better all round material but glass has its place with dries and smaller water.

I just picked up a 8'6" 7 weight blank for small - medium bass bugs on small waters. It will be perfect for that.

Forget about cheap. Some sell for $500 - $1000. Old Fenwicks are now selling for $100 plus. The blanks are good but the grips and components cheap. I built myself some Fenwicks back in the late 70's early 80's with good components. Wish I still had them, practically gave them away when graphite cameout.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Anyone else have a interest in them? Some of these new glass rods are gorgeous and cast beautifully. Action is a little like bamboo but rods are lighter and more durable. Graphite is a better all round material but glass has its place with dries and smaller water.

I just picked up a 8'6" 7 weight blank for small - medium bass bugs on small waters. It will be perfect for that.

Forget about cheap. Some sell for $500 - $1000. Old Fenwicks are now selling for $100 plus. The blanks are good but the grips and components cheap. I built myself some Fenwicks back in the late 70's early 80's with good components. Wish I still had them, practically gave them away when graphite cameout.
Haven't had the opportunity to cast one yet so I haven't formed any sort of opinion yet. That said, I can't see which of my rods a glass one would replace.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post

Gman,

I've still got a few of my old Fenwicks. The ones with the thin wall and old style butt wrap thread. One is my first fly rod given to me by my father on my 12th birthday. You are right, the older ones are going for big dollars. I've actually seen them as high as $400. They have a nice action and I think I will dust them off and try them this year.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
marzrw

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/
Old 02-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
EagleCrag

Are we going full circle here? When graphite came out glass rods went by the wayside. What has changed? Have there been improvements in glass that now puts them in a class with graphite? I can understand older rods becoming collectible but new glass rods for $500 or more? I don't get it. This being said, I still have an old 5 weight Fenwick that I have many many memories with and I still use it. The ferrule doesn't fit well any more and I have to put a thin shim in it so it doesn't cast off when I'm fishing but I still like the action. I prefer a much slower action than the fast action rods that prevail in the marketplace today. Perhaps that is the attraction of glass, but I'm sure in can be engineered into graphite as well. Just my 2 cents.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
marzrw

[QUOTE=EagleCrag;227522]Are we going full circle here? When graphite came out glass rods went by the wayside. What has changed? Have there been improvements in glass that now puts them in a class with graphite? IQUOTE]

http://www.maineflyfish.com/forums/i...howtopic=25267

http://echoflyfishingblog.com/tag/glass-is-not-dead/
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
ADKpikebuster

The fact remains that fiberglass isn't bamboo and ugly stick is the only rod that I use to hammer the brookies.

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Just my 2 cents.

Graphite is faster, stiffer modulus, great casting tools, long casts, big flies, for salt and bass buggin' far superior to any other materials. Never was to impressed with boron rods.

Glass is slower , a better fishing tool, more delicate. Better in short length and light lines, I've seldom cast short rods in graphite that don't feel to stiff.

Bamboo, good bamboo anyway is best in the short, light line weights and aesthetically more enjoyable to fish for some of us.

Winston makes graphite that casts well delicately in shorter lengths , there are a few others. If your on small streams where casting distances are your leader and a few feet of line the high modulus graphite is not your best choice, I'll use a bamboo or glass rod. If I'm casting 40 or more feet or big flies then the graphite is far superior.

I owned a fly fishing shop for 15 years and cast everything I could get my hands on from the newest rods before they were even on the market to Panes and Garrisons, they were mostly all good rods for there intended purpose. My favorite fishing is small stream Brook Trout hunting, I've also fished bass, pike, bonefish, tarpon etc. and there is a right rod for every situation. Heck, you can cast a fly line with a broom stick or your bare hand if you want. It's best for you to fish with the rod or rods than give you the most joy,

If you have a smile on your face your doing it right.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #9
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Yankee View Post
Just my 2 cents.

Graphite is faster, stiffer modulus, great casting tools, long casts, big flies, for salt and bass buggin' far superior to any other materials. Never was to impressed with boron rods.

Glass is slower , a better fishing tool, more delicate. Better in short length and light lines, I've seldom cast short rods in graphite that don't feel to stiff.

Bamboo, good bamboo anyway is best in the short, light line weights and aesthetically more enjoyable to fish for some of us.

Winston makes graphite that casts well delicately in shorter lengths , there are a few others. If your on small streams where casting distances are your leader and a few feet of line the high modulus graphite is not your best choice, I'll use a bamboo or glass rod. If I'm casting 40 or more feet or big flies then the graphite is far superior.

I owned a fly fishing shop for 15 years and cast everything I could get my hands on from the newest rods before they were even on the market to Panes and Garrisons, they were mostly all good rods for there intended purpose. My favorite fishing is small stream Brook Trout hunting, I've also fished bass, pike, bonefish, tarpon etc. and there is a right rod for every situation. Heck, you can cast a fly line with a broom stick or your bare hand if you want. It's best for you to fish with the rod or rods than give you the most joy,

If you have a smile on your face your doing it right.

John M.
Interesting insight, John.

I think it's design more than materials. I have RL Winston graphite rods, a 3 wt and 5 wt, that are ideal for stream/small river fishing. I also have two delightful Gatti graphite rods that will lay out a country mile of line without feeling like a club. All four of these rods would be categorized as 'medium action' by today's standards.

Sage has been the real driver behind big gun, fast action rods that have become all the rage. This is OK if you are fishing on ponds or chucking streamers into the wind. So is glass the overdue correction to this fad???
Old 02-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Gman

A number of years ago a friend went out and bought his first "high end" fly rod. He bought an 8'6" 5 weight Sage, not sure of the series but the rod was teal coloured. He paid $500 for it and it was the worst fly fishing rod I ever saw or used. It was better suited to an 8 weight line! He was having trouble catching fish so I took him pocket water fishing and he could not make a short cast or put his fly in a seam no matter how hard he tried.

We went back to the car and I got him a 5 weight I built on a 33 mil modulus Pac Bay blank. Finally he could hit seams and put his fly where he had to and started catching trout. After he wanted to trade me straight up his $500 Sage for the $100 Pac Bay!

I think there is something to the idea of an over correction in where graphite has gone. But there are instances where I think glass might be better. When you need accuracy. Pocket water fishing with dries. I think I will built an 8' 5 weight for that. The small bass ponds where I'm plunking bugs along the shoreline I got the 7 weight for. I think the edge in accuracy is due to a slower line speed and more "feel". Just like the difference between a casting rod and a spinning rod in conventional fishing.

I suppose if a 7 or 8 weight 9 foot graphite was overkill you could drop down to a 6 weight graphite which might be the equal of a 7 weight glass but the difference is the 6 weight line does not have enough weight to push the bass bug and the graphite wants to work too fast. I wanted a 8'6" rod, which you can't get in graphite and I did not want a fighting butt on a rod I was using exclusively for bass from a canoe.

Seems anything over a 6 weight in graphite is 9 feet long and its all 4 piece. A 3 piece rod is superior to a 4 piece.

The other thing is when you look at some of these builds they're real pretty. You can build a real pretty rod from glass.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:36 AM   #11
Gman

I wanted to add something else too. This re emergence of glass is not new. Bass pro's saw the advantages of glass 20 years ago for fishing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. In these instances glass was more sensitive than graphite.

Yes with graphite you can feel a fish suck in your jig 20 feet down. Something subtle it picks up and transmits it very well. Glass is no equal there.

But something really overt like the thumping of a spinnerbait blade graphite does not. With a graphite rod the spinnerbait feels like reeling in a mass of weeds. With glass you feel every thump of the blade, every wobble of the crankbait. You can see it in your rod tip as it bounces back and forth like the ticking of a metronome. When a fish hits the soft tip of the glass allows the bass which has just sucked in the bait to get it in its mouth and the thump stops. The rod tip goes dead/slack. You set the hook and its fish on.

With graphite the lure feels like mush, the stiffer tip impairs the sucking and engulfing of the lure. If the bass does get the lure you'd just feel heavier mush. Even the fight, with graphite it is non descript but with glass the rod reacts to every head shake and twist of the fish.