Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of the 46 ADK high peaks have you climbed?
none 16 6.58%
1-5 43 17.70%
6-10 22 9.05%
11-15 16 6.58%
16-24 27 11.11%
25-35 26 10.70%
36-45 29 11.93%
46 64 26.34%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2003, 01:45 AM   #1
Kevin
**BANNED**

How Many High Peaks Have You Done?

Here's a simple poll to start this topic off...

Feel free to discuss or even list your peaks here for future reference .
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 04:30 AM   #2
Kevin
**BANNED**

I'll start...

(6 out of 46)

Rank/Name/Height

10 Gothics 4736'
12 Giant (2) 4627'
22 Armstrong 4400'
29 Upper Wolfjaw 4185'
30 Lower Wolfjaw 4175'
39 Cascade 4098'
Old 11-11-2003, 08:32 AM   #3
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

Have done all 46, most of them numerous times.
Haystack remains the favorite, by a wide margin.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally posted by AlpineSummit
Haystack remains the favorite, by a wide margin.
One of my friends, with 34 of them in, said the same thing... I would assume the view of Marcy is impressive .
Old 11-11-2003, 12:03 PM   #5
DLHiker

I can't get enough

The high peaks keep calling me back. I've hiked them all at least once and many of them multiple times. Haystack is my favorite as well. I know, there are 6 million other acres to hike (and I do hike a lot of them), but I find myself drawn back to the HPs!

I'm slowly working on my winter 46, but I have a long ways to go. I am at 11 right now.
DLHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

We're in the same boat DL - I have a measly 8 winter peaks, including Whiteface which I've skied up more than a dozen times. That one is fun, but winter is soooooo cold. Just don't know if I'll ever get 'em.

Yes, Marcy is just tremendous from Haystack. As is the headwall of Panther Gorgeous. A supreme spot to sit for an afternoon.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:34 PM   #7
DLHiker

Alpine,

There si a reason almost all of my winter high peaks are in the JB valley--so I can sleep in Grace camp or Peggy O'Brien! I've never camped out in the dead of winter. First, I'm not sure I want to! But if I do, I think i will enroll in the ADK club's winter camping school first. I want to learn all of the tricks of the trade!

Everytime I pass those winter campers on my way out at 4:00ish in the afternoon, I think, "man, am I glad I'm eating in a warm restaurant tonight!" But, alas, my day will come, I know. Maybe I'll love it.

To those of you who already there, my hat goes off to you! You're hard core!

Ron
Old 11-11-2003, 12:59 PM   #8
adk_dib

have done 15 in the last 4 years. all in the summer. would like to start in the winter.
my first was wright, and my last was colden.
adk_dib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 02:35 PM   #9
ADackR
livin' it

Quote:
Originally posted by DLHiker
Alpine,

There si a reason almost all of my winter high peaks are in the JB valley--so I can sleep in Grace camp or Peggy O'Brien! I've never camped out in the dead of winter. First, I'm not sure I want to! But if I do, I think i will enroll in the ADK club's winter camping school first. I want to learn all of the tricks of the trade!

Everytime I pass those winter campers on my way out at 4:00ish in the afternoon, I think, "man, am I glad I'm eating in a warm restaurant tonight!" But, alas, my day will come, I know. Maybe I'll love it.

To those of you who already there, my hat goes off to you! You're hard core!

Ron
I've got 28?? summer peaks and 10 winter peaks.

see it's funny, everytime that I see you hikers passing by at 4:00ish I'm thinking to myself man, I'm glad I'm in my warm and toasties getting ready to eat an awesome meal...this is usualy coincided with a bag of wine, cheese , crackers etc and with a pot of boiling water for tea ..

you should try camping with someone who has done it before, learn the basics and make the mistakes....it's all a learning experience.

The best is when camping for 4 days and you planned to do 4+ peaks and haven't even made one because of all the newly fallen snow....

I had to go back to the Dix range twice in one year because of too much snow...
ADackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #10
Willie
46er #5193W

It took me 26 years to finish the 46 (summer). Like Alpine, DL, and ADackR, I'm working on the winter 46. I started winter climbing in 1980, and 23 years later, I have 4 peaks to my credit. I guess I better pick up the pace if I ever plan on finishing!
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:15 PM   #11
Kevin
**BANNED**

I hoping to cut that 23 years in half and think having a forum community to meet new hikers and share information will increase the frequency of my northward journies. For example, I'd love to spend 3 days in Avalanche Pass and get 3-4 peaks done as day hikes. As it sits now, that's not likely unless I want to solo (both my hiking buddies are too busy and/or have most of those peaks in=unmotivated) and I'm not too keen on going into the woods alone for the simple fact hiking's fun going with friends. If I were a true bagger, I know I'd abandon those grandiose notions and pack the car at-will .

Speaking of turning back, I've gone up Giant twice in the last month with the intent on hitting Rocky Ridge, only to turn back the last time because of ice and the first time because of impending rain. Giant's a hell of a view though!

It's an honor to stand among you 46rs, knowing the dedication it takes to just get 6 done in a year... I could have easily doubled that were it not for all the non-peaks hiking I did this summer (though Blue Mountain was no walk in the park at 3800ft/1500ft elevation climbed)... but I did need a break to truly enjoy the outdoors from time to time. Eating and sleeping in the woods can be a lot of fun, and when you're a pyro like many of us are, massive camp fires are a bit entertaining too
Old 11-11-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
saus

How many high peaks?

Finished my 46th in August on Whiteface! What an incredible journey! What's next? The winter 46 possbily? Probably not. I would like to do some winter hiking, but at this point not shooting for winter 46er status. Actually plan on redoing the 46 in summer/fall with my kids. My boys are 5 and 3 and we did Cascade and Porter in September for their first two high peaks. I think I was prouder that day then I was when I finished the 46. Actually, both were incredible days, with great weather and beautiful views!
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:35 PM   #13
Head
Guiness Anyone?

Ive done the 46...Many of the peaks multiple times. Im currently working on the Winter 'Sledding' 46 (Ive got 8 right now). Nye was my favorite sled ride down...super fast and tight turns!

BirdHead Studios
Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:44 PM   #14
saus

How many high peaks?

This is a follow-up to my previous post:

It took me 12 years to complete the 46. Completed 34 of the peaks in the past 4 years. Although Haystack's view is awesome, it would rate as my second favorite peak. I would have to vote for Skylight as my favorite! I loved the views, wide open summit, we summited on a crystal clear, cool day and we had the summit to ourselves! What a great day it was!

Actually, any day spent in the Adirondacks is a great day!!!!
saus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 03:46 PM   #15
Kevin
**BANNED**

Re: How many high peaks?

Quote:
Originally posted by saus

Actually, any day spent in the Adirondacks is a great day!!!!
Aint that the truth.

Sounds like I'm on the 30something in 4 years path myself, next summer is going to be weekend after weekend of peak bagging for me.
Old 11-11-2003, 05:04 PM   #16
ADK4487

I also have completed the 46! Took 16 months and too many miles. My favorite time is winter with a lean-to or tent around me. I enjoy my hot meals and the company of new friends should anyone else be there which is quite often!

Most important I get to hear and see and experience the great Daks which you miss being inside at night. I spent time in a tent when the ice storm hit in 98'. It was so impressive hearing the sound of silence, then a cracking of a tree caused by the sap freezing, a normal part of nature.

My best winter climbs have been Haystack, the Great Range and bushwhacking the Sewards in March. In summer the TrapDike on Colden and the Eagle on Giant.

Most important, the people you meet on the trail. Even though I solo most of the time, I have never been alone.
ADK4487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 06:17 PM   #17
DLHiker

ADackr--At least we're both glad to be where we are at 4:00 in the afternoon after a long winter trek! I'll be sure to wave this winter!

Actually, I know that I would enjoy winter camping once I got into it, but I have a lot to learn. I'll definitely want to go with an experienced group. i will also need to get some gear--mainly: A winter bag.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:26 PM   #18
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally posted by DLHiker
ADackr--At least we're both glad to be where we are at 4:00 in the afternoon after a long winter trek! I'll be sure to wave this winter!

Actually, I know that I would enjoy winter camping once I got into it, but I have a lot to learn. I'll definitely want to go with an experienced group. i will also need to get some gear--mainly: A winter bag.

Any suggestions?
Layers, and that includes the bag. I would be fine with my 25 degree down bag, so long as I brought my crappy Coleman 45 degrees liner... could easily be comfortable to 10 degrees with both of them...

EMS has some sweet zero degrees bags for about $180 and up. If I needed a single solution, I'd probably just go with one of them out of convenience. You can go nuts, as there are military grade and other style bags that cost $300+... it becomes a weight issue at that stage, I don;t mind the extra 3 lbs for $200 in my pocket!
Old 11-11-2003, 06:56 PM   #19
morrell12

I have about 28 of the high peaks and have been working on them since 1992. I live so far away so I can only get up about 2 times a year. At my rate I will finish by the time I am 50....lol
Old 11-11-2003, 08:30 PM   #20
AlpineSummit
Walk Softly

It's a whole new ballgame in winter. You hafta really want them badly to get yourself out there and climbing. I like to CC ski all winter, but climbing is really too cold for me most of the time.

I'll admit climbing the winter 46 is less something I want to do and more something I want to have done.

Winter camping? I used to do it and I didn't really like it. The comfort margin is just too thin. I like my shower, hot food, warm bed too much for winter camping.