Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
whitelief

Camping near Lake Tear of the Clouds?

I know that Lake Tear is above the legal limit. Has anybody found any nice spots just below the 4000 ft level on the way down Feldspar Brook? We are thinking of an overnighter that will take us over Marcy on Day 1 (from ADK Loj), and planned to camp somewhere along Feldspar Brook. The last time I hiked in there was many many moons ago, headed the other direction, and I do recall a steady climb up along Feldspar. And those little lines are awfully close together on the topo map.

If all goes well we do Marcy, Skylight, Gray, and maybe the next day Colden or Marshall, camp a second night and head out. Flexibility will be our main theme. Reality checks, experience and commentary most welcome.

-Dave
whitelief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:26 AM   #2
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

I've never specifically looked for camping spots where you are asking, but I suspect there aren't many good (legal) ones. I would continue down to the Fedlspar Lean-to area and camp there or go the half mile to Uphill Lean-to where there are several places to camp.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:42 AM   #3
MrOysterhead
Climber Obsessed

camping

As for camping around the Lake Tear of the Clouds area - the biggest thing to remember are the two rules about camping in the High Peaks.

1 - no camping above 4,000'
2 - only camping allowed above 3,500' is in designated sites.

for a full list of the rules check out here - DEC Regs

Based on that - once you get above the Feldspar Brook LT on the west, and the Panther Gorge LT on the east - you pretty much need to camp in a designated site. As far as I know - there are no legal sites in the area.

Hope that helps.
Peace
Oysterhead
MrOysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #4
JimB

Uphill leanto is your best bet IMO. You will have to carry all of your gear either over Marcy and Gray or come up Felsdpar Brook and leave it at Uphill for your summit bids. If the trails are all broke out and you are fit this is a doable trip. The only thing is the camping gear needed is quite a drag to haul up there. A few years back my son and I planned a winter trip up there. Day 1 was to be Redfield/Cliff and Day 2 was to be Gray/Skylight. We did Redfield the first day after a tough trip in with 60 lb packs. The next day we did Skylight and had a death march back out to Upper Works. We were fairly fit(we thought), but the pack weight gets to you after awhile unless you are used to it. Also the days are a lot shorter and you need lights to finish. After I posted I found my map and Feldspar leanto is a little closer to 4 corners but I have never camped at that area. Good luck, JimB.

Last edited by JimB; 02-01-2004 at 02:24 PM..
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote