Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many of the 46 ADK high peaks have you climbed?
none 16 6.58%
1-5 43 17.70%
6-10 22 9.05%
11-15 16 6.58%
16-24 27 11.11%
25-35 26 10.70%
36-45 29 11.93%
46 64 26.34%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2004, 08:32 AM   #141
Freakin' Chickin'

How may peaks climbed?

Poor student on a tight budget living away from the mountains (Qc city)...

I am always counting on my meager summer salary of field assistant in forestry to cover up some cd's, new equipment, xcski racing and ice canoe racing during winter, with little money and time left to venture out there...

Well, I try to vary, so I've been up in the Green Mtns, Whites, Kathadin, Adis... trying to vary and also to include our little mountains of Quebec (but hey, the Chic-Chocs are farther than the Adis!!!)

So here is my little personal list that will grow smoothly and without a hurry:
Toegether in the same day: Wright-Algonquin-Colden-Phelps (From M.Dam)
... and the other day: Marcy-Skylight-Haystack (Still from M.Dam!)
T'was two winters ago, in December... heck we have slept for long after those two days!

And in summer: Giant then Dial and Nippletop, all from St Huberts

Next will be from tomorrow to Friday: Big Slide-Marcy-Basin-Saddleback-Gothics.... I am quite eager to go back to the Adis!!!

Freakin' Chickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #142
dgurga

I just found out about this site and thought I'd join. I started hiking 3 years ago and have hiked 23 high peaks so far. Half of those just this year. Looking forward to doing more next year. Just did Skylight and Gray 2 weeks ago. Not a pleasant hike. We started with drizzle. Then sleet. Then snow. Then on top of skylight winds around 40 to 50 mph and sleet. But the snow looked very pristine and beautiful. But it was a long 16.5 hour day.

I see reference to Winter Peaks? What is that about?
Dave
dgurga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:06 AM   #143
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

You must of forgot to bring the rock to Skylight's cairn and they put a curse on you!!
Winter is a whole new ballpark and it seems that you got a good taste of what winter climbing is all about. It's a whole lot of fun once you get started and are prepared, but plan on L O N G days on the trail to conquer the peaks in winter as day hikes.
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:34 AM   #144
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgurga
I see reference to Winter Peaks? What is that about?
Dave
Climbing all 46 peaks during the winter season (Dec 21-March 21).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #145
kingof14ers

I have not ascended any of the "high peaks" as far as the Adirondacks go, but I'm looking to change that this January when I visit family. I have however ascended numerous peaks out here in Colorado during calendar winter.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #146
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingof14ers
I have not ascended any of the "high peaks" as far as the Adirondacks go, but I'm looking to change that this January when I visit family. I have however ascended numerous peaks out here in Colorado during calendar winter.
Isn't Loveland Pass beautiful in the Winter? I particularly like the Estes park area.

I used to live in Wellington, 10 miles NE of Fort Collins.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:34 PM   #147
kingof14ers

It is! What a great area to test new winter gear. You can ascend the ridge line starting at the pass and go up Sniktau (13234') or Grizzly (13437') with little or no avalanche hazard. The other side of the pass is treacherous and snowboarders always get caught. I'm looking to hit the Mummy range near your old neck of the woods next spring!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #148
Kevin
**BANNED**

I'm looking forward to heading west sometime in the near future. From the photos I've seen it's a hiker's paradise.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #149
kingof14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm looking forward to heading west sometime in the near future. From the photos I've seen it's a hiker's paradise.
It's an endless ocean of mountains from mild to exotic. Each range here has it's own distinct personality. The San Luis valley which separates the Sangre de Cristos from the San Juans is the largest mountain valley in the world and is larger than the state of Connecticut!
Old 11-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #150
Rik
H-E-R-O

Being new to this site this seemed like a good place to start. I finished my first round of the 46 in 1998 after starting in 1992. I started a winter round in 1999 and I'm up to 30. Hope to finish this winter. I will always keep climbing the high peaks and have repeated most of them.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #151
Hollywood
hollywood

I'm a newbie to this site too....I've only got 10 so far but it feels like an addiction. I'm constantly thinking about which peak(s) to do next. Lots of choices with 36 left! My 10 have all been day hikes and I'm looking forward to some overnight stays when I resume climbing next spring. My 12 yr old son plays travel hockey, so I have no life in the winter. I hope I get to meet some of you folks on the trails.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:20 PM   #152
hekki6
aspiring 46er

I'm new to this site,also. I started climbing in 2001 , and I have 26 peaks so far. Wish I would have started this about 20 years ago.I break up the climbing witn a few long backpacks . This past spring, I spent best part of a week in the Cold River area, Rondeau's homesite, and Duck Hole.Next year, with the peaks, I want to do the N.P. Trail.My favorite climb so far was Gothics and Armstrong via Weld Trail and Beaver Meadow Falls return.
hekki6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #153
Dick
somewhere out there...

Hekki6, welcome! We also enjoy a variety of hiking venues, not just the high peaks of the Adirondacks, nice as they are. Indeed, we have often thought "what if we started earlier." We never set foot in the woods until we were 30, but we haven't stopped since then. Pointless to play the "if I only had..." game. Gothics is indeed one of our most favorite of the high peaks. We've been there several times, and my most enjoyable memory is that of the cable route on the west face.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 06:54 PM   #154
StonerLakeLover
I'd Rather Be Hiking

2 down 44 to GO!

I'm totally a newbie. I did 2 (Giant and Cascade) this summer and totally caught the summit bug. I already have several adventures planned for next summer There is nothing like hiking a high peak. This is such a cool forum. Thank you all for posting your recent treks and adventures. It's great to read about what you wish you were doing right now. Well, off to take a physics test, and believe me I'd rather be Hiking!
StonerLakeLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:26 PM   #155
mt.runner
always outside

hey, new here to...love to hike. i finished the n.e. 111 in 97. always looking for somewhere new to go!
mt.runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #156
percious
Transplanted

Welcome to both of you!

Congrats Mt. Runner on finishing your 111, are you going to get the other four for your 115?

Stone - Welcome to the high peaks! Those two peeks have spectacular views. Other good view/effort peaks are Porter (near cascade) Wright and Algonquin. Feel free to ask away. The wealth of knowledge here is incredible.

-percious
Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #157
jbonbright
Withering away indoors...

Only two so far but hopefully more!

- Algonquin (June 2012)
- Marcy (June 2013)

Both were done from the Loj parking lot with my son, now 14 years-old. Both were socked in with thick clouds pretty much the entire hikes, so I've actually never had a view from an Adirondack summit yet. You don't know how bad I want to look out and view the panorama and name as many of the Adirondack peaks as I can! We did have a perfect blue sky day for Mt. Washington in 2011 and the vistas were stunning but I'm not drawn to the White Mountains like I am the Dacks.

I'd also like to become a 46er someday but don't think it's going to happen, so I might instead try for the top 20 highest or so. First reason is that I'm almost 51 and running out of time! Secondly, I live over 500 miles away from the Dacks and can only make it up there once a year when my family and I do our annual camper trip to Lake George. I'd live in the Adirondack region in a heartbeat but our jobs keep us anchored to the DC area (Eastern Panhandle of WV to be exact). It's pretty here but the Dacks are my favorite part of the country (and I've seen a LOT of 'em as a military brat).

Next summer I think my son and I are going to do our first backpacking trip. Tentatively we've looking to hike in from Elk Lake and establish base camp at Panther Gorge for two nights. (Got a 2 lb. TarpTent Double Rainbow I can't wait to try out.) Then we'll hit Skylight, Haystack, and Gray as day hikes, maybe even Colden.

Let the adventures continue!
jbonbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #158
Willie
46er #5193W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonbright View Post
I'd also like to become a 46er someday but don't think it's going to happen[.] First reason is that I'm almost 51 and running out of time! Secondly, I live over 500 miles away from the Dacks and can only make it up there once a year[.]
Your excuses are bunk. My brother is in the ADKs now finishing his 3rd round. He's 56. I did the winter 46 while I lived in Chicago.

If you want to be a 46er, be a 46er. "Git-R-Done!"
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #159
jbonbright
Withering away indoors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post
Your excuses are bunk. My brother is in the ADKs now finishing his 3rd round. He's 56. I did the winter 46 while I lived in Chicago.

If you want to be a 46er, be a 46er. "Git-R-Done!"
Where does your brother live? Is it a thousand-mile round trip to hike for him?
jbonbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #160
Willie
46er #5193W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonbright View Post
Where does your brother live? Is it a thousand-mile round trip to hike for him?
Pittsburgh.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote