Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Hobbitling
spring fever

So I'm assuming you posted this thread using your typewriter then. or did you use a quill pen and ink?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
40dog

Backwoodsman im with you on that cell phone comment. I let every thing go to voicemail and use it like a tiny answering machine. Im extra lucky since i get zero cell service at home . Paddelwheel I like your style live as who you are and wear no face but your own. Earlier when i was getting diesel a kid pulled in to the pump next to me sat in his car for at least 5min texting before he got out to fill up. I instantly thought of this thread.
40dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlewheel View Post
By the way...I am not being nasty or acting in a bigitory way ...but I find it disturbing that a Native American Lakota is pro-technology...That's a scary thing..But then again the other day I saw an advertisement on cable for a native american loaning co....pay us back in three weeks w/45% interest or we'll knee cap ya & take yer scalp......

Native American loan sharks advertising on the ol' flat screen...ain't America a wonderful place????????????
Why would you think that Native Americans would not embrace technology like anyone else?

Think about it, from first contact with the french we traded for Metal knives, pots, mirrors, Weapons and gunpowder. Cloth for clothes, beads for decorations. This was all technology.

We improved our lot by stealing horses from the spanish, which when you think about it is a step up in technology from foot travel.

So, aboriginal people everywhere have embraced new technology when it was available to them.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #24
Adirondack Composer

Quote:
Nice post ADK composer....what instrument is your element? not to thread drift ........but I liked your comparison of things technical and things it takes talent to hold..& express with.........

I have been trying to learn the violin for about 6 yrs. now...I am no where near to being proficient at it but I do love the music it makes in the right hands.........
Keyboards and the stringed instrument family. Happiness is whatever one is enthusiastic about. Have a great day!

www.frederickwarner.com
Adirondack Composer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #25
Willie
46er #5193W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslover64 View Post
I think I would give up all of this grand technology to experience the slower pace again.
Quote:
Man ....slower pace....I could dig that.....it's very elusive now ain't it..? Good point...
Like everything else in life, I think it comes down to "self-control" - for lack of a better word. Does technology control you, or do you control technology.

My professional life is busy. But when I go home at the end of the day, I leave technology at the office, except for my dumb phone, Blackberry (which my employer gave me to "stay in touch" by e-mail) and cable television.

I'm typing this at the office (on a Sunday). Work, not technology, is controlling me.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #26
Neil
Admin

You again.

You can't "kill" culture but culture certainly evolves (you might say it devolves).

I remember when hand-held calculators came out.

Always something to moan about but life's like riding a bicycle. Try and stand still.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #27
starzero
The Inquisitorial Botanist

Whenever I feel the need to de-digitize (and these days I frequently do) I just try to imagine 1962…

Kennedy…Rotary Phones…Elvis…The Beach Boys…John Glenn Orbiting the Earth…The Mets First Season…(Feynman at Cal Tech)…

Ironically it’s the Internet which provides the best way to reminisce

http://www.brainyhistory.com/years/1962.html

Technology...Can't Live with it...Can't live without it.
starzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #28
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Alright, I'm stuck between worlds.

In my working world, I have powerful computers, rotordynamic analysis, computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, Cad, Cam, 3D modeling, and enough applied, advanced technology to make most Ph.D's eyes glaze over...my R & D company is the recognized world leader in the field of compliant surface hydrodynamic bearings.

In my real world, I own a cell phone that lives in the kitchen cabinet, I own a GPS and use it for reliving my trips, I do not believe in social networking.
My kids were not allowed to ignore others, whether in front of a TV or by toying with a keyboard. Dinner was a time for conversation, not avoidance or distractions.

I do not believe that technology itself is such a problem...
I do recognize a general decline in person to person interactions.
Is that caused by modern technology? No, I don't think so.
But, most certainly, modern technology does make it easier to avoid your fellow man, shirk your responsibilities to society, behave as an a$$ with near anonymity.

So, is there any chance for society to survive these recent trends of isolation? C'mon, the world moves on, whether we want it to or not.

I say, embrace the modern technologies, or at least make peace with them, just don't be enslaved by them.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #29
rollinslover64

Stripperguy,you say you don't believe in social networking yet any forum including this one is social networking.
rollinslover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #30
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Stripperguy,you say you don't believe in social networking yet any forum including this one is social networking.
You draw your line and I'll draw mine...look for me on Facebook!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #31
Neil
Admin

Quote:
This forum is more about information exchange than social networking.

ADKForum
Twitter
Facebook

Do you see a difference?

I see a difference.