Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Campingbuddy

Best Bear Canister to take Kayaking

We're planning a 7 day kayaking trip in the Adirondacks in September. And although we're quite confident in our bear bagging skills, to be on the safe side, we'd like to purchase some bear canisters.

We've got two kayaks ... a 15' Necky Eliza and a 17' Wilderness Systems Tempest 170.

Anyone have any recommendations as to what bear canister will both do it's job and be easiest to pack in/on a yak?

Any suggestions as to the best way to pack it in/on a yak?
Campingbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Joe R

Safest bet...

This is where real talent comes in. You'll need to be resourceful (and imaginative) to pack 7 days worth of food in a bear cannister. It can be done with dehydrated food and common sense. I own a "Barebox" which is a small hard side that does the trick for me on a long weekend. You'll need a larger Garcia which you can rent or, of course purchase.
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

Whatever you get measure your hatches very accurately.One of the assets is that a bear cannot handle one easily nor get its jaws around it. Size matters.

And believe me neither will you be able to get a good handle on it to get it out.

Make sure you have straps on the canister or preferably in a bag so that you have something to get ahold of.

Now I do have a canister and I use it for dog food while canoe camping but lessee I have spent some 700 nights canoeing in the last ten years and nary a visitor in camp. Have fallen over a bear literally and stepped in poop but no campsite calls. They apparantly dont like my dehydrated foood.

I couldnt even get the bear on the next island over to come by . I so wanted a picture. He so wanted nothing to do with me.

No this was not the High Peaks where there is good reason to use a canister but just an ordinary Canadian canoe trip.

Again the canister has to go inside. Even fully bagged and with straps securing it to a deck it interferes with self rescue.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
darnedsox

I donno-carrying around stuff for a 7 day camp+(a how many lbs.?) kayak sounds to me like an undertaking...no pun.
If I were driving from camp to camp, and I were in possession of a canister I'd consider it. If I were packing in and around..and out, I'd bring a good length of rope(what we use anyway). It comes in handy for all sorts of things as well as hanging food cache, and way easier to carry.
Bill
Old 08-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
spidennis

I've been hanging my food ..... but ......
mice and monks are more of a problem!
so it's time for me to get a canister .......
I looked at one over at Raquette Rivers Outfitters this morning.
It takes a coin to open up ....
and I don't think mice, chimpmonks, or bears carry change. Right?
It's also small enough to fit with my diy knupack setup.
It would be good enough for 3-4 days I'd think ....
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
I've been hanging my food ..... but ......
mice and monks are more of a problem!
so it's time for me to get a canister .......
I looked at one over at Raquette Rivers Outfitters this morning.
It takes a coin to open up ....
and I don't think mice, chimpmonks, or bears carry change. Right?
It's also small enough to fit with my diy knupack setup.
It would be good enough for 3-4 days I'd think ....
As long as you're not in the section that requires canisters, and are properly hanging your food but are worried about other critters, you may want to consider something like a Ratsack. Much lighter and easier to pack than a canister.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
Campingbuddy

Thanks

Thanks for all of the helpful info. We've been bear bagging for years. But, according to the rangers, many of the Adirondack bears have learned how to get to even properly bear bagged food. So, to be on the safe side, we purchased two Garcia bear canisters the other day. One will easily fit into one of the compartments on our Wilderness Systems 17'. However, we're still trying to figure out how to pack the other one. The compartments on my 15' Necky just aren't large enough. I hate the idea of having anything on my deck that large that might impede self rescue. But, it might be the only way. Any ideas?
Campingbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
bluequill

I have a Current Designs Gulfstream and the bear canister will only fit in the rear compartment. The problem is that it takes up so much room that it is difficult to effeciently pack other items around it. If I were going for 7 days I would not use the canister and opt for a good bear hang. Dry bags make excellent hangs. Also, my canister is the black plastic one (Backpackers Cache) and it is not waterproof so if it is on the deck and you go over.........
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bear canister, kayak, kayaking