Crane Pond (Schroon/Paradox) primitive sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane Pond (Schroon/Paradox) primitive sites

I'm trying to organize a post-labor day camping and paddling trip for some family and me.

We're looking for somewhere relatively remote, with easy vehicle access, and primitive sites and/or lean-tos accessible by kayak/canoe.

So far I've narrowed it down to Raquette Lake, Little Tupper, and Crane Pond. I know enough about Raquette and Little Tupper to make informed decisions on those two places.

But, does anyone know if any of the primitive sites on Crane Pond (I believe there are 9 designated sites) have a thunder box or outhouse? A few in our party would definitely prefer it to doing the shovel and squat (greenhorns).

See embedded image from DEC Info Locator (https://gisservices.dec.ny.gov/gis/dil/)

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by joeDacks; 08-28-2020, 12:59 PM. Reason: adding image

There's an outhouse near the first site. I've not seen anything at the other sites. Please be aware that there's a flooded area on the road by Alder Pond. Crossing it will be sketchy at best. Check various Crane Pond YouTube videos to determine it's passibility for your situation.

If you want something you can easily drive to check out Thirteenth Lake. There's an outhouse by the parking area and one at the "Elizabeth Point" campsite. Best of luck!
    Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
      There's an outhouse near the first site. I've not seen anything at the other sites. Please be aware that there's a flooded area on the road by Alder Pond. Crossing it will be sketchy at best. Check various Crane Pond YouTube videos to determine it's passibility for your situation.

If you want something you can easily drive to check out Thirteenth Lake. There's an outhouse by the parking area and one at the "Elizabeth Point" campsite. Best of luck!

OK, thanks. Yes, 13th is another one on the list. I’m just a little worried we won’t be able to get a site.

And I actually forgot about the crossing into Crane, but I have already look at the videos and decided we’re not going to bother since a couple people will be coming in cars and I don’t want to have to deal with shuttling we’re having them hiking with all of their gear. Thanks for the insights!

Comment

There are 10 designated sites at Crane all have either an outhouse or thunderbox.

Comment

Yeah, Crane has 10 designated sites. Site #3 is missing from your map- starting with the site at the end of the road (closest to and due east of the outlet) and working clockwise around the lake, they are numbered in order from 1 to 10. Site #3 is on the broad peninsula due north of the western-most of the two "Crane Pond" labels. (If you tilt your head 90 degrees to the right while viewing the map, Crane Pond is shaped like a T-Rex, or Yoshi from the Mario games if you prefer. Site #3 is at the lower abdomen of the T-Rex/Yoshi.)

It's also worth noting that most of the sites on Crane are boat-access only (which it sounds like the OP is aware of). Only sites #1 and #2 have marked trails to them from the "illegal" parking area at the outlet. There is a herd path from site #2 to sites #3 and #4 but it's unmarked.

I know most of the sites (if not all by now) have either an outhouse or a box toilet. It was a bit of a challenge getting them properly installed- volunteers installed the first round of box toilets and they unfortunately did a piss-poor job of it. (Box toilets installed at sites that already had outhouses, box toilets installed in full view of the campsite itself, etc.) An AFR had the unfortunate task of "fixing" the havoc wreaked by the volunteers, including transporting some of the "already put to use" box toilets across the lake by canoe.

(The DEC has been given the feedback that every box toilet kit needs to come with a set of "volunteer-proof" instructions on how to properly assemble and install them, but that suggestion thus far has been ignored, resulting in numerous instances in which the toilets are not properly installed- to the extent that they are not used by the public and surface poo remains problematic at those sites, and/or the life span of the toilet is considerably lessened due to improper assembly.)

Also worth pointing out that there's been an on-going problem with signage for the designated tent sites disappearing at Crane Pond- some folks are jealous about others using their "favorite site" and so they will attempt to make it look like a non-designated site by ripping down the "Camp Here" discs and other signage.

In general, if you're looking for solitude, Crane Pond may not be the best option. It's been known as a "party spot" for years.

Comment

Working...
          X