New camper- primitive camping advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New camper- primitive camping advice?

Me and 2 friends are planning to go primitive camping sometime in late april or early march.

we want primitive camping outside of a campsite. Is that possible in the ADK? Where should I look? I hear that Moose river plains is a good spot. are there any other good places to camp at that time? we also want to do a little hiking and fishing if possible. we want to stay out there for 3 nights MAYBE 4. we have a car.

any advice? places to camp? trails to walk? that sort of stuff?
    thanks
    Last edited by redxmoonx; 01-26-2016, 10:17 AM.

also camping near water would be nice. somewhere where there isnt too much traffic and no loud motorboats would be nice.
    and hows the weather around april and march? i read that it normally stays above 30?

Comment

I would recommend buying some of the Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks.
      Most waters are still frozen in April, and the Mosse River Plains generally have the roads closed until after mud season, mid May most years...

As far as advice, start easy and become familiar with the regulations.
      Last edited by stripperguy; 01-26-2016, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stripperguy View Post
        I would recommend buying some of the Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks.
        Most waters are still frozen in April, and the Mosse River Plains generally have the roads closed until after mud season, mid May most years...

As far as advise, start easy and become familiar with the regulations.
        thanks for the info.
        i been spending a lot of time reading regulations and learning them.

is there another part where its good to camp during that time?

Comment

You can camp almost everywhere in the wildernesses, provided you're 150' from water, trails, etc. Leave No Trace is key, and guard your food. Note that the "campsites" are just established areas that often have a privy, they're not KOAs. Most camping is essentially "primitive".

Depending on the area, it can be cold any time of year, I think the only time I didn't bring a fleece jacket was July4 weekend. The higher mountains can get snow any time of year. Plan Ahead And Prepare.
          http://edthesmokebeard.com/

Comment

Please get familiar with a few important information web pages. The NYSDEC site has tons of official useful information, but the multiple pages can be confusing to navigate at first.

Start here for primitive camping information, along with the internal links....
            Back country camping, also known as primitive camping, a self-dependent experience in which campers carry in and out their supplies and tents in order to reach more remote or secluded forest areas and where a leave-no-trace philosophy is expected.

Then understand the backcountry camping rules and guidelines from the larger set of regulations given here:

Many of the DEC regulations are based on Leave No Trace Principles. Please heed them.
            The Seven Principles of Leave No Trace provide an easily understood framework of minimum impact practices for anyone visiting the outdoors.

Note that you are allowed to set up camp in the same spot for 3 nights only, unless you have a permit issued by a Ranger for a longer stay.

DEC Rangers are there to help you. After you select an area you think you would like to visit, call the ranger who covers that area for tips and the latest information on that location.

Region 6 is the western third of the Adiondacks

Region 5 covers the eastern side.

As Stripperguy mentioned, forget about planning to get into the Moose River Plains until mid-May at the earliest. The road is gated and locked until after mud season.

And I also highly recommend getting one or more editions of the Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks.
            This website is for sale! hiketheadirondacks.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, hiketheadirondacks.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
            "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by redxmoonx View Post
              is there another part where its good to camp during that time?
              Yes, lots of places. The Adirondacks comprise approximately 6 million acres.
              "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

also camping near water would be nice. somewhere where there isnt too much traffic and no loud motorboats would be nice.
                and hows the weather around april and march? i read that it normally stays above 30?
                No.. sometimes the March weather is subzero. Snow may last till May.This winter its slow coming but March can bring a LOT of snow
                No motorboats till ice out. That is toward May.
                If you hike in April, snowshoes may be required. Average high in Lake Placid in March 40, low 16 with 19 inches of snow.

In March you may be near water but getting to it is another story. In April don't even think of going on the ice.

Comment

Yeah, late March is typically still winter in the Adirondacks.

Where are you located? There are other destinations that might better serve you that earlier in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
                    No.. sometimes the March weather is subzero. Snow may last till May.This winter its slow coming but March can bring a LOT of snow
                    No motorboats till ice out. That is toward May.
                    If you hike in April, snowshoes may be required. Average high in Lake Placid in March 40, low 16 with 19 inches of snow.

In March you may be near water but getting to it is another story. In April don't even think of going on the ice.
                    we dont actually want to get into the water, just be near it. mostly cause i think it would look nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
                      Yeah, late March is typically still winter in the Adirondacks.

Where are you located? There are other destinations that might better serve you that earlier in the season.
                      im in NYC. i just thought the ADKs would be nice. but if there is another place anywhere as nice where we could go i be open to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wldrns View Post
                        Please get familiar with a few important information web pages. The NYSDEC site has tons of official useful information, but the multiple pages can be confusing to navigate at first.

Start here for primitive camping information, along with the internal links....
                        Back country camping, also known as primitive camping, a self-dependent experience in which campers carry in and out their supplies and tents in order to reach more remote or secluded forest areas and where a leave-no-trace philosophy is expected.

Then understand the backcountry camping rules and guidelines from the larger set of regulations given here:

Many of the DEC regulations are based on Leave No Trace Principles. Please heed them.
                        The Seven Principles of Leave No Trace provide an easily understood framework of minimum impact practices for anyone visiting the outdoors.

Note that you are allowed to set up camp in the same spot for 3 nights only, unless you have a permit issued by a Ranger for a longer stay.

DEC Rangers are there to help you. After you select an area you think you would like to visit, call the ranger who covers that area for tips and the latest information on that location.

Region 6 is the western third of the Adiondacks

Region 5 covers the eastern side.

As Stripperguy mentioned, forget about planning to get into the Moose River Plains until mid-May at the earliest. The road is gated and locked until after mud season.

And I also highly recommend getting one or more editions of the Discover the Adirondacks series of guidebooks.
                        http://www.hiketheadirondacks.com/pa...ondacks_Series
                        thank you for all the links. im already checking them out.

apart from the moose river plains. is there another place you would recommend?

Comment

im in NYC. i just thought the ADKs would be nice. but if there is another place anywhere as nice where we could go i be open to that.
                          That kind of explains why you expect open water as in your area lakes are often open all winter.

I suggest going south. To Atsion Campground in the Pine Barrens. Its a primitive campground. There is quite a bit of hiking and canoeing year round there.
                          Best of all its close to you and worth investigating even if that is not what you want right now.

Another might be the Catskills. I know very little about that area.

NYC has had more snow than the Adirondacks I think! But it goes away..The stuff in the mountains hangs on.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowcanoe View Post
                            That kind of explains why you expect open water as in your area lakes are often open all winter.

I suggest going south. To Atsion Campground in the Pine Barrens. Its a primitive campground. There is quite a bit of hiking and canoeing year round there.
                            Best of all its close to you and worth investigating even if that is not what you want right now.

Another might be the Catskills. I know very little about that area.

NYC has had more snow than the Adirondacks I think! But it goes away..The stuff in the mountains hangs on.
                            yea.. here snow goes away quick. but thanks for the info. im looking into catskills now, but i'll def keep atsion in mind

Comment

If you're willing to do backpacking style camping, where you carry all of your gear on your back, Harriman State Park could be a good option. There are plenty of backcountry shelters there than you can camp in or pitch a tent at. The park is almost always snow-free by the end of March.

Harriman can be popular because it is so close to the city, but that early in the season it shouldn't be too busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X