No announcement yet.

Looking For Rustic Campground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you buy something netted make sure its no seeum netting. You WILL find them making a pest of themselves at dawn and dusk specially in grassy weedy areas. Their bites feel like mini fires.

Cliff Jacobsen from the Midwest came to Maine and told everyone not to bother with no seeum netting as they did not exist. Maybe in MN they don't and I never was bothered by them in Michigan but they do exist in Maine and the Adirondacks. We all laughed at his comment and three minutes later ( the presentation was outdoors, the no seeums arrived!)

Stay in exposed windier areas. We kayaked in the Apostie Islands two years ago and I did wonder where in July all the skeeters were. I don't know.

Comment

Video and Pictures of brown Tract pond CG

Here are a couple links for Brown Tract Pond CG, pictures and video. Enjoy your trip.

http://www.campadk.com/campsitephoto...own+Tract+Pond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oejPzMASEKU

Comment

Get a couple of ThermaCell units for the bugs. They really work. We usually put two of them on a table when camping, keep two of them going on our front porch (we live in the ADK) when we sit out at night, and I've got one stashed in my turkey hunting gear for the month of May as well as my fishing gear. I've used it from April to September. Each year is different. I've seen black flies horrendous around July 4 weekend, other times they're done by mid-June. No-see-ums can be just as bad, especially when it is damp.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Hello! I was about to post a thread with the exact same inquiry! Family, with dog, camping, no fancy facilities, remote and quiet. However, the suggestions you have a really far for me. I was hoping for something closer to Adirondack State Park since we are driving in from the north (Montreal) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

Taylor Pond looks like a good bet.
            Taylor Pond can be found in the back woods, on a dirt road far from the public mainstream. Fishermen and naturalists come from miles away to spend their vacations in campsites on the back part of the pond or in the mainland campground.

When are you looking to go? This weekend is a holiday weekend and the end of season for a lot of DEC campgrounds. Some still can be used by the honor system after the season.
            And Buck Pond is open to October 9, 2016
            Buck Pond compares to a mountain retreat; it offers secluded sites, numerous water access, and a walking path that stretches for miles along an abandoned railroad bed. The campground offers a variety of recreational opportunities, including canoeing and boating, fishing, hiking, and bicycling.
            Last edited by electbc; 08-30-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I enjoy the tent sites and lean tos at the Adirondack Loj wilderness campground. Yes, they have facilities but I enjoy that the sites are reservable, spaced out a bit for privacy, close to major trails.

The beach is nice too.

Comment

Working...
              X