Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak trip Suggestions? Places with treatable water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak trip Suggestions? Places with treatable water?

I do like my Venture Flex, I originally wanted something that would be good for flat water and some low class river running. It has a pretty big storage compartment in the back which helped a lot. For the front I took the foam pillar out for more room and put some gear in dry compression sacks. It really handled the extra weight well and I didn't feel any less stable. The cockpit is smaller than some other Rex kayaks but I don't mind as I feel more like I am part of the boat. Venture is produced by Pyranha and is basically the same boat design as the Pyranha Fusion but with a deeper vee bow and a little less bow rocker. I think if I knew about the Fusion at the time I purchased my Flex, I would have gone with the Fusion to handle the White water a little better, but it was also more expensive. Overall I am very pleased and it tracks well when the skeg is down. I heard there is some good hiking on Grass Pond Mountain and also there are Ice caves somewhere on the back side.
    The main reason I decided to go with Bog/Lows was it is really a wilderness feel, especially once you past Higgins Pond and it is supposed to be good Fishing. Another Location that I want to Visit is Lake Lila just south of Lows. It is supposed to be another wilderness spot. There is a portage from the parking lot to the launch beach but it seems like a good place to go without having to paddle as far out like Lows.

Here is a link to a Lows Map showing the campsites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a nice setup Ryin, actually very similar to my Jackson Rogue 10 with the skeg, dry storage and bow storage with dry bags. And the same reason I bought mine, for flat water and white water. I've taken mine on a couple multiday trips and it has worked out great.

How was the paddling on Lows in that size kayak? Did you feel overwhelmed at the size/roughness of the lake? I know it can get rough but heeding the advice of some of the previous posters I figure it's doable to hug the north shore, take the available portages, or wait it out if it's too bad. I do have a skirt and am fine with paddling in some chop. It will just make those calm pristine days where the lake is flat as glass that much nicer!

Comment

I didn't feel overwhelmed at all in my boat and I cruised right along almost always in the lead.
        The wind wasn't really noticeable until after you get up Frying Pan Island where Lows gets wider. We followed the northern route and hugged the northern shore as others suggested. The wind only produced some chop in that open part, nothing big that couldn't be handled easily. I did tend to use my skirt most of the time mainly as a spot to rest my gps, phone in waterproof case and snacks.

Comment

From what i have read, you won't have problems anywhere in north America filtering water, if you get a decent one, and know how to use it. In Africa, you will need an anti-virus rig. Viruses, much smaller than bacteria, are not an issue in our part of the world.

I filter all water, except known springs, you never know what lying dead up stream- certainly something is... if you have a filter, it is simply not worth it. If pressed, i would look for the best place... even with a filter i do this. I figure i narrow the odds as much as possible. I always have a squeeze Sawyer filter now. They are tiny and very good. I know of a guy who drank his whole life, from wherever he pleased- bragged about it as he laughed at people filtering.... only to be holed up at a lean-to once on a solo trip for three days.. praying for death to come and rescue him ( his words LOL) ... He looked us in the eye and said that cured him... "never again"... a good enough lesson for me, but i had already decided because of this story of my own...

When I was a kid, we planned on drinking out of the creek we were traveling down on a 3 day trip... doesn't matter where. Not long after the start, it was a rock garden for the first part, we were lining the canoe and floating where we could, i happened to look down into a deep pool and happened to float right over the carcass of a deer, tattered gossamer flesh waving ethereally in slow motion with the current, looking at me with a shriveled white eyeball and reapers grin, as it loomed into visibility through the heavily tannin stained water. Was sort of pretty in a way... my partner didn't see it, had to convince him... I thank that deer for curing me of bravado, as it was just by accident i saw it. Since then I have seen others, and dead birds, and various rib cages or skulls in otherwise pure streams. We drank meltwater from coolers the rest of that trip, and always careful ever since in these 40 years, and never sick once.

Once upon a time, our guts were acclimated to such things, we are whimps compared to our forefathers, and not enough Neanderthal genes for the rest.... C'est la vie.

Comment

Working...
          X