Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #41
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwanner View Post
... Nevertheless, I think it is fair to assume that canoe campers are far less likely to haul in 2x4s and large sheets of plywood, lawn chairs, barbeque grills-- the sort of stuff I saw left in sites on the Dead Creek Flow a couple of weeks back.
I agree, and I don't think anything you said was offensive, nor did it paint all power boaters with the same dirty brush. The easier the access, the more stuff people can and will bring to a campsite, and the more likely that some of that stuff will be left behind. I think that paddlers are "cleaner" campers mainly because the big stuff is more work to haul in. On the other hand, I didn't mind the plywood table on the site, but the slab of leftover plywood and burned aluminum table was a bit much. I view Cranberry Lake about the same as Stillwater Res. - it's a power boater lake that paddlers also use. I'll just go to quiet water lakes in the future. By the way, there is also a thread about float planes on Low's Lake that features similar comments about paddlers vs. float plane clients, with similar "offensive" comments and like reactions.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #42
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Congratulations! Job well done.
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
jcheesma

Motor boats!

I agree with chairrock, the part about motor boats. I have a nice canoe and a small motorboat which I use on Cranberry very often. I remove others trash as I did agian on 9/12/08-9/16/08. This is no different than other sports I enjoy. A few idiots ruin for others. Junk can be carried in by boaters, hikers and by canoe. No need to offend someone. We can all teach others by good examples! Unforunately there will always be the bad apple! Sound like you had a great time, as we always do.
jcheesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #44
MikeT

chairrock,

Congratulations on your completing the Cranberry50!

Agree with you and jcheesema about motor boats on Cranberry.

Over the last 30 years plus that I have paddled on Cranberry, I have developed an affinity for the place and for all who use Cranberry responsibly.

As a non-motor boat owner I feel no special entitlement; but rather I advocate for all who use this wonderful place, to use it with care.

The Cranberry50 will, hopefully, be some small part of a program of sustainable economic development for the great people who live, work and raise families in the Adirondack Park.

Having had the opportunity to listen to people like Clearence Petty, and others who have certainly talked the talk, and walked the walk of working for long term goals in the Park, I hope my generation steps up to the plate. And one way to step up to the plate is inclusion vs exclusion. If we don't all win in some way, in the long term, none of us will win.

On another topic entirely, there are great paddling days ahead this year on Cranberry before freeze up.

See you all on the water.

MikeT
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #45
saveatree,eatabeaver

Alright, time has finally been found to hike the Cranberry Lake 50. On the 17th (5pm) we will set out from the Wanakena trail head. Current plans have us ending at the Cranberry Lake Wild Forest on Sunday. We realize we're going to have to move along, but hopefully we'll find some time to place a few geocaches along the route. Any trail conditions/advice anyone would like to pass along??

Support your local forest ranger, get lost.

I think that they should host a survivor in the Adirondacks. Both teams get a over under rifle shotgun, box of matches, and a petersons edible plants field guide.
saveatree,eatabeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #46
Buster Bear
Trail Bum

Hey saveatree,eatabeaver!

I set out to do the whole thing on Sept 15th and the wind storm of Sept 14th created quite a few blowdowns. I actually had to bail out to Wanakena through the Janack's landing side of the High Falls loop after twisting my ankle while dealing with a blowdown.

Make sure you use gaiters or at least heavy duty long pants. The trail was overgrown with ferns and spiny plants.

I'm heading down to Wanakena tomorrow to hike the Peavine Swamp, Wanakena & High Falls sections. I will then have completed the CL50.

Hopefully I'll see ya out there (watch for DuctTape, He will also be hiking this weekend.)!

Cheers!
CL50 #49
Buster Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #47
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

"Limber" & I will be on a section of it tomorrow & I can't remember exactly, what part, but we'll be bringing some fishing stuff

He's the DEC trail crew supervisor/boss...well, supposed to be, when he doesn't let a couple good coworkers of his boss him around. I'll go back through this thread & try to figure out where people are saying the worse sections are & put a bug in his ear about it, as he says his crew will be responsible for the trail's maintenance, now.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #48
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper View Post
"Limber" & I will be on a section of it tomorrow & I can't remember exactly, what part, but we'll be bringing some fishing stuff
P'Hopper,

Someone once said that "something's fishy" because Ted and I went hiking with canoe paddles strapped to our packs.... Now there's now way that something AINT fishy about you the Limber going hiking with actual fishing gear. No siree. Something's up... Even an old hammerhead like me can see that.

Enjoy your water-to-water section hiking of the CL50!

Ordin
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM   #49
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
The Dog Pond Loop Section has alot of blowdown on it, say between Dog Pond and the Potato Patch. All of that was exposed to the strong south westerly wind storm.
Just got back..Ordin-we may have caught a fish, can't remember.

I think, he said they already got the Potato Patch section & said it was bad. But, I'll check w/him, again soon.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 10-11-2008 at 07:16 AM..
Old 10-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #50
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Related to the same general area & something, someone may find interesting:

A while back, they were involved in a missing person search along the Grass River, between Rt. 3 & the Tooley Pond Rd. & he said, the canoe carry trails through that section were badly overgrown & hard to follow. So, he's tried, a little, to push having it o.k.'d for getting that trimmed & marked better- in case something like that arises, again.

Last edited by pondhopper; 10-11-2008 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: having it oked added
Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #51
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Made it!

Weather was beautiful... finished the 50 at 10:24 am today. 49.5 hours from TH to Terminus. I made great time due to well marked trails, a light pack and being able to go at my own pace. Even got to check out some side trails and have a leisurely afternoon and evening at High Rock. Trip report coming soon. Thanks Chairrock.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #52
Bill I.

It was definitely a beautiful weekend on the trail. I hiked a 30-mile section from Wanakena to the Burntbridge Pond Trailhead over the 3-day weekend. I've never seen so many people on these trails--enjoying some fine weather and a beautiful area.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 PM   #53
MarkL
Self-challenged

Congratulations Duct Tape! When I saw you this AM at the Truck Trail register, you looked and sounded like you'd been having a great trip. Looking forward to your t/r.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #54
LifeOutside

Wow, I guess I have to do this next year...I've only been on individual sections around Cranberry and not threw the continous whole :/ I was thinking about loosing myself on the long trail in vermont next year as my uncle now lives around 20 minutes from the half way point but I'll have to do this instead.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #55
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

myself and 1adam12 planning this on memorial day weekend if anyone wants to join for a great 3-4 day weekend ..
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #56
LifeOutside

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
myself and 1adam12 planning this on memorial day weekend if anyone wants to join for a great 3-4 day weekend ..
If I'm not on call that weekend, or have to goto a wedding I'll be more than interested in joining you.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:12 PM   #57
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeOutside View Post
If I'm not on call that weekend, or have to goto a wedding I'll be more than interested in joining you.
me too.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #58
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

More the merrier
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:11 PM   #59
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Quote: