Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
PaPaZeus

Need advice on waders!!!

Going on my first steelhead drift boat trip next week. I'm looking at waders and I am looking for advice on what to get...

Primarily will be in the boat but may also be wading from locations... I also hope to use these for general trout fishing on the west Canada via wading.....

I have proper wool and synthetic insulation items for backpacking I plan to layer accordingly....

I'm looking for chest waders and have about 140 to spend..... Any advice is appreciated I'm thinking of going with bp's redhead brand due to their warranty.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
PaPaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Gman

Looked at BPS waders and thought they were junk. I've had two pair of Orvis Silver Labels and liked both. Orvis replaced one pair for me. The waders I have now are Frogg Togg Hellbenders which I am impressed with and are about $70 cheaper than the Orvis.

Last edited by Gman; 03-14-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
PaPaZeus

Should I go neoprene or pvc... These will only get used a few times a year but I want them last a good 5 years or so..... Should I get ones with attached boot or no?

Old 03-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Gman

Neither, get breathables. In cold water you can wear polar fleece under them. Unless you are fishing in mid winter get stocking foot. Hardly anyone uses boot foot.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #5
Fly Rodder

I've used the frogg toggs hellbenders and they're fine waders for the price. I've got the ones the next step up too and a pair of redingtons. I llike the redingtons the best, but that's because they only go to just above the waist.

I've never used neoprenes, but I've fished in 20F temps with 32F water in Pulaski no problem with breathables and appropriate layers. Well, one time my foot went numb and I toughed it out (because I'm a stubborn moron) to fish another hour. I couldn't take it anymore and came out of the water. Turns out there was a leak in that pair of waders and my boot was full of 32f water and had soaked me up to mid-thigh.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
I'm looking for chest waders and have about 140 to spend..... Any advice is appreciated I'm thinking of going with bp's redhead brand due to their warranty.
What's the warranty on the Redheads?
Can't imagine that it's equal to or better than L.L. Bean's.
Frogg Toggs warranty, I believe is 1 year limited.

For $140 I would be inclined to go with Bean's Flyweight stockingfoot
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/81494...ductId=1364066

and probably these boots from Bass Pro:
http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...4020609115021/

Total: $138.97
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
PaPaZeus

So the life jacket affect of the neoprene is superseded by the breathable? Looks like breathable is the latest tech?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #8
PaPaZeus

In the interest of knowledge..... Why does Noone use bootfoot?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #9
PaPaZeus

Also. I'm headed to salmon river... Is there a salmon specific permit or license I need for steelhead?

Old 03-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #10
Prometheus
Adrift

No additional stamp or license needed for salmon or steelhead. The Douglaston Salmon Run does charge a daily fee if you fish their waters; but nothing additional from the state.

I do have a pair of Simms bootfoot waders. They work better for me in near freezing NY waters. More air space that doesn't get compressed; so my toes stay warmer. They're sloppy to walk in long distances and don't provide great ankle support. But they do have a place in the lineup.

Breathable waders have been around for a couple decades; so not really new tech. They offer more adaptability. If it's warm out; you can wear shorts; if it's cold out you can layer up with fleece pants.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #11
PaPaZeus

Allright.... Looking at a good deal on the hellbenders. going to pick up the cheap bass pro boots that are on sale. Can cleats be installed on any boot that is not felt typically?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #12
PaPaZeus

Thank you for the info guys! I appreciate it!

Old 03-15-2016, 06:22 AM   #13
St.Regis

Yes, you'll definitely need cleats of some kind.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #14
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

A tip on the cleats: Wear microspikes. You'll feel like you're glued to the bottom of even the most slippery river. And the Salmon River qualifies in that department.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #15
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaZeus View Post
In the interest of knowledge..... Why does Noone use bootfoot?

Boot foots are clunky and don't provide the support, lightness and stability of a wading boot. However generally speaking they are warmer. For winter fishing the ideal wader for the Salmon River is a 5mm neoprene with rubber sole and korkers. You wouldn't want felt soles as the snow sticks to felt and felt freezes. The problem is that wader would be awful at any other time on a trout stream.

With breathables there are areas on the wader that don't breathe as well as others such as double knees (some brands) and definitely in the boot area. There you may get a bit of dampness due to condensation. A guy at Orvis told me once most of the returned waders had nothing wrong with them other than that.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
PaPaZeus

Yes microspikes! Awesome idea and good for backpacking as well!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #17
serotonin
ember

PaPaZeus
When you purchase the wading boots, be sure to get them large enough to leave ample wiggle room (and air space) near your toes. If they are even slightly tight, your toes will go cold in the winter.

When fitting them, be sure to wear the socks you intend to use in the winter, along with the waders of course (or use a neoprene sock as a surrogate for the stockingfeet waders).

In the winter I like to lace the boots relatively loosely near the toes, and gradually go tighter toward the ankle. During warmer months you can lace them firmly the entire way, despite wearing one less sock. Eliminate all slop.
Can't do that with bootfoot waders. Don't think you can do that with the Boa lacing system either.

So... what are the warranties on Togg Frogg and Redhead waders?
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #18
ADKmountaintrout

I would suggest breathable if you plan on using them any other time of the year. Neoprene will be warmest but will easily be too warm is air temps are much over 40 degrees unless you are chest deep in 32 degree water all day long.

I have bean stocking foot waders. might not be the best out there but can't beat the guarantee!
ADKmountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #19
PaPaZeus

I'm looking to use these as all-around waders... Duck hunting.. Marsh deer hunting. Spring and fall fly fishing.. And winter at salmon river.

I've tried on several pair of breathable so far. Each breathable is too tight for a simple pair of jeans from the calf down and going up a size or Stout essential leaves me with entirely too much length or width in the waders....

I'm starting to think a 3.5 neoprene insulated bootfoot will have to suffice based on budget and multiuse a huge compromise when it comes to fly fishing.. But it will support the other two uses better.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #20
PaPaZeus

Not sure on frogg toggs... But with bp's. So long as you have the receipt they work with for a year or two on redhead brands