Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #1
darnedsox

Rondaxe to Dart Lake

Is it passable by canoe? Two grandaughters want to do a new paddle close to Ole Forge. Their rules:must include river or stream if it is a Lake paddle. Cannot be Middle Moose. How about shallow-brown tract Raquette? I've yet to poke around those parts.
anyone? Bill
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
jan

I paddled Brown Tract Inlet a week ago from Raquette Lake to the snowmobile bridge. There were 4 beaver dams, two of which I had to get out and pull the boat over. With no solid ground in the vicinity, it was necessary to stand on the dams themselves which can be a bit of a challenge.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
darnedsox

Thanks Jan-we'll just be in the area for an overnite so maybe I'll get a chance to poke around in there when I don't have the kids and I have some time
Old 08-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
jan

Make sure your boat is clean. The boat launch in Raquette Lake has an invasive species steward on duty to educate you. The morning I was there it was the president of the Property Owner's Assoc. or some such group and we had a real nice conversation. I would've continued past the bridge, but he told me there were lots of trees down and beaver dams beyond there and since it was pouring rain I decided to turn around. Stopped and paddled South Inlet on the way home. Your granddaughters might enjoy that. It's about 2 miles or so to a nice little waterfall with a spot to get out and enjoy a snack on the rocks.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote