Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2022, 07:17 AM   #1
Tug Hill

The brook trout bite has been on.

We have been having great luck brook trout fishing in the Five Ponds Wilderness. Have been to 3 different lakes so far, one lake we went to it twice. Going to a different lake this week. Many Brookies 12”-15” ,all with the standard lake clear wabbler set up about half trailing streamers, they make it easier to release the fish unharmed. Bushwhacked 11 miles round trip last Wed., saw much moose and bear sign , very little whitetail sign. Some of the lakes must have been recently stocked, because we did catch and release a few 6”-8” trout. Trout all seem to be fat and healthy, one lake the fish had what I think are Brook Stickleback minnows in them.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
St.Regis

Nice
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Northcountryman

Does the state stock Brook Trout? I thought they were too difficult to raise- no?
Old 06-12-2022, 11:38 AM   #4
adkfishing

They stock brook trout in several ponds throughout the state and some streams
adkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:42 AM   #5
St.Regis

DEC Fish Hatcheries - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7742.html
Old 06-12-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
Northcountryman

Didnt know this- thank you Sirs
Old 06-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Tug Hill

Many remote ADK Lakes and ponds are stocked with heritage strain brook trout.
When the Rome , NY hatchery was up and running they raised Horn Lake strain Brook Trout.
Not sure if they are running because of a recent zebra mussel infestation at the hatchery ?
Old 06-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #8
St.Regis

They've had more problems at Rome

DEC: Significant numbers of trout likely lost from Rome Fish Hatchery during recent flooding - newyorkupstate.com
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...-flooding.html
Old 06-13-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
BobF

TH, Congrats on your brookie outings. Wish I was upstate instead of 4 hrs. away. Someday I hope to make fishing more important than work.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:41 AM   #10
Tug Hill

Thanks BobF, hope you get the time someday, you’d be welcome to tag along with me anytime. That’s what I did this spring, because of high diesel prices, I turned down work , parked my equipment, and decided to start fishing remote brook trout lakes and ponds again. I’m not as young as I use to be, but will keep going as long as I can.

Headed out tomorrow at 4AM to do it again.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:51 PM   #11
OntarioSkiBum

Does anyone know how often stocked trout take to a lake and begin naturally reproducing?
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
St.Regis

Not long if the habitat is suitable. They need cold water with gravel and sand shoals with cool springs and/or inlets and outlets. Brook trout are fairly short lived compared to other species, like lake trout, and brookies don't live much longer than 4 or 5 years on average. They start reproducing their first year, so that offsets their short life span. Some stocking efforts have been very successful; to the point that annual stocking has been discontinued because the ponds now have a self-sustaining population. Other factors like water chemistry, predation, invasives, fishing pressure all play a role
Old 06-14-2022, 11:00 AM   #13
BobF

Thanks for the invite TH; I might take you up on it. Regarding age, at 68 I try and live by Clint Eastwood's take when asked a couple years ago "how do you do it at your age?" His response - "I wake up every morning and don't let the old man in".

Bob
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:47 AM   #14
Tug Hill

Went to another lake last Tuesday, caught many Brookies but few over 11”. 10 mile round trip but easy trail. I think there are bigger trout in this lake , but might have just been a off day. Still a great trip, saw osprey, loons, old growth White Pine, glacial esker separating two lakes. We did find a dead whitetail fawn missing its head, floating in the lake, and wasn’t sure if it just drowned or if a predator had killed it . Seems if it was killed by a predator it would have not left it in the lake ? Thought maybe a snapping turtle had been feeding on it ? Anyway, it was still a good trip.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:30 AM   #15
Tug Hill

One other thing. Of all of the lakes we have fished in the 5 Ponds Wilderness , this last lake the brook trout were in the poorest shape. they were feisty fighters , but not very fat. I think maybe too many fish and not enough feed in this lake ?
Old 06-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #16
Glen
Check please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hill View Post
One other thing. Of all of the lakes we have fished in the 5 Ponds Wilderness , this last lake the brook trout were in the poorest shape. they were feisty fighters , but not very fat. I think maybe too many fish and not enough feed in this lake ?
If the lake is stocked the numbers might be too high. If it's natural reproduction, with plentiful spawning areas it is not unusual for brook trout to overpopulate and stunt. The right balance is the exception rather than the norm. Also, at this point the ponds are warming up. Try again in October or early spring when they will be active longer in the day.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:03 PM   #17
Tug Hill

Glen, I agree, I think they naturally spawn in this lake, the ADK lake survey in the 80’s confirmed it sustained brook trout. As for the lake warming, I think this year is an exception, last week we had temps in the morning from anywhere in the 30’s-40’s, so I think the lakes are still not as warm as usual this time of year. We are going 1 last time for brook trout next week, after that we will wait to go again in Sept..
Old 06-24-2022, 09:53 PM   #18
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
If it's natural reproduction, with plentiful spawning areas it is not unusual for brook trout to overpopulate and stunt.
That's what happened to Glen