Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #21
dundee

[QUOTE=Justin At the same time, if someone is uncomfortable with hiking in areas that is perfectly legal to have your dog off leash, than they should probably hike elsewhere. QUOTE]

This is incredibly selfish. Trails and the Forest Preserve were made for people, not dogs.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:07 PM   #22
Ramblin'J

I love seeing trail dogs, on or off leash. In many years and miles of hiking I cannot recall ever having an encounter with a rude or aggressive dog. I can recall dogs that were really cool but I like dogs so...

People on the other hand, don't get me started.
Ramblin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #23
ILikeRocks

I also love hiking with my dog off leash, but really only rarely get the chance (bushwhacking or if no cars are at the parking area of an out and back hike, and only then on the way out, with a remote collar on)

My dog is super friendly and listens closely off leash and I still would never let him off leash on a routine hike. A random dog ran up to my (leashed dog) on a hike last weekend, fortunately both were fine, but leashed dogs often do not respond well to non leashed dogs. I wasn’t happy to say the least, and still grabbed the large dog to keep it away from my kids. Keep them leashed please.
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #24
Ramblin'J

I guess I just don't see the point in complaining on a web forum. What use is it other than to stir the pot. Go out hike, have fun, and lighten up.
Ramblin'J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 05:35 PM   #25
ILikeRocks

The hope (mine anyway) is that since many people read forums like this, that they learn proper trail etiquette. What?s the point of saying anything on a web forum? Sharing info.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:42 PM   #26
rbi99

[QUOTE=dundee;290234]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin At the same time, if someone is uncomfortable with hiking in areas that is perfectly legal to have your dog off leash, than they should probably hike elsewhere. QUOTE

This is incredibly selfish. Trails and the Forest Preserve were made for people, not dogs.
The point being made here is that if dogs are allowed off leash in areas, the owners of the dogs are just as free to hike with their dogs off leash as someone who hikes without dogs. It has nothing to do with being selfish, no one is breaking any laws or rules.
Old 07-16-2022, 08:12 AM   #27
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post

That is a good one, sorry I missed this.
Saying that trails and the forest preserve were made for people not dogs is incredibly selfish. The forest preserve was created for just that, to preserve the forest, for animals and people to enjoy forever. It is perfectly legal to hike with your dog off leash in most areas of the forest preserve. Yes people should also be courteous about it. But if someone is really that uncomfortable with the possibility of running into an unleashed dog where it is perfectly legal to do so then they should probably seek trails where dogs are required to be leashed, or where dogs are not allowed, or get into bushwhacking. It is pretty rare when a negative interaction happens. I can count the number of times on one hand that something negative happened in all of my years hiking in the Adirondacks. Yet, I can count numerous times when something negative happened with other people. Selfish, gimme a break dude!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:11 PM   #28
rbi99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
That is a good one, sorry I missed this.
Saying that trails and the forest preserve were made for people not dogs is incredibly selfish. The forest preserve was created for just that, to preserve the forest, for animals and people to enjoy forever. It is perfectly legal to hike with your dog off leash in most areas of the forest preserve. Yes people should also be courteous about it. But if someone is really that uncomfortable with the possibility of running into an unleashed dog where it is perfectly legal to do so then they should probably seek trails where dogs are required to be leashed, or where dogs are not allowed, or get into bushwhacking. It is pretty rare when a negative interaction happens. I can count the number of times on one hand that something negative happened in all of my years hiking in the Adirondacks. Yet, I can count numerous times when something negative happened with other people. Selfish, gimme a break dude!
Well said Justin. We all agree that unruly dogs should be leashed, but like you said - and it applies to me as well - after 100's of hikes with my dogs in the Adirondacks, I personally ran into one minor dog issue with another dog - but never a negative dog/person encounter. Negative people encounters, well that's why I come up during off season and mid week!!!
Old 07-16-2022, 06:29 PM   #29
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I love our daily off leash walks , that said, I stay away from trails with people on them. We have never had an issue. Sometimes our dogs can be exuberant when meeting folks, and they might be frightened, I understand, hence we stay away from those trails....We also hunt with our dogs, and that is legal, and hikers have to respect that, meeting dogs off leash. We must share the woods...the STATE has seen to it that areas for training hunting dogs have become rarer with more restrictions as to when we can train the dogs off leash because of hikers who JUST DON"T like dogs...wtf...

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:20 AM   #30
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I have had a few incidents when dogs ran up to me while their owners were not yet in sight and then growled and raised their hackles. I don't carry a stick, so I don't have anything to hold them off with. I have been bitten a couple of times while bicycling, and don't want to repeat that experience. I am just over 7 feet tall, so that may be one reason why I make dogs nervous.

People always say "He wouldn't hurt a flea" or "My dog just wants to play" or something like that. There are many dogs that I have no problem meeting off-leash, but there are some that I do not like to meet. I am sure it is not the dog's fault but the owner's, because they have not trained it properly, but that doesn't make me feel better about being bitten.

In a forum discussion on this topic some years ago I likened unattended dogs on trail to someone shooting arrows up the trail and then saying "I am such a good shot that I would never hit you, so don't worry." I don't know if they would like it if the proverbial shoe was on the other foot. I've met some people in the woods who did not immediately strike me as people I would like to get to know better (and no doubt some people have felt the same about me) but I never thought any of those people was going to bite me.

Last edited by Zach; 07-17-2022 at 09:51 AM..
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:25 PM   #31
ILikeRocks

Well said Zach.

My point of view definitely changed now that random German Shepards run up to my 5 year old?s face on a busy trail, it?s just different than one running up to an adult.

Just cause something is legal doesn?t mean it?s a good idea to do in every scenario.
Old 07-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #32
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post

My point of view definitely changed now that random German Shepards run up to my 5 year old?s face on a busy trail, it?s just different than one running up to an adult.

Just cause something is legal doesn?t mean it?s a good idea to do in every scenario.
100% agree, and the German Sheperds owner should be ashamed of themselves. Especially on a busy trail! I love all dog breeds but something about a German Shepherd that is unleashed and loudly barking at you is extremely scary. My neighbor has one. Every damn time I go out in my own back yard I am getting barked at by this crazy bastard, so I know the feeling. Friggin hate that dog!
Old 07-17-2022, 07:26 PM   #33
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeRocks View Post
The hope (mine anyway) is that since many people read forums like this, that they learn proper trail etiquette. What?s the point of saying anything on a web forum? Sharing info.
This is the point of posting on a forum or social media about these issues!
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 07:41 PM   #34
Justin
Moving along

Also, anyone who says my dog would never hurt a flea, you know right then and there this person has no idea what they are talking about. Because anyone who has ever had a dog ever that has had fleas knows that dog will scratch, chew, and naw at itself endlessly until it tries to kill every single last flea on its body as they start to invade your house, carpet, and other pets.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #35
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I've heard both flea and fly used in that context. Would fly seem more plausible? I think some people really believe that because their dog is nice to them it will be nice to everybody, even when they can't see what it's doing. I have met some dogs who were very well behaved even when alone, but some owners seem to think they have trained their dogs better than they have.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #36
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I've heard both flea and fly used in that context. Would fly seem more plausible?
I am probably the wrong person to ask. Every dog I have ever had tries to bite the deer flies, horseflies, and stable flies as they swarm around, damn near tipping us over in the canoe sometimes.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:37 AM   #37
rbi99

Just like there are fair weather, weekend warriors that really don't have a clue when out hiking, there are those same kinds of people who happen to have dogs. The problem for those of us who respect nature and other people, but who have spent a considerable amount of time engaging with our dogs so that they understand what is expected of them, just one idiot paints a black eye on all of us.
Old 07-25-2022, 12:06 PM   #38
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I've heard both flea and fly used in that context. Would fly seem more plausible?
My yellow lab used to sit in front of an open window while catching and eating the flies on the screen. He never had fleas, so I don't know if he would've hurt them or not. Flies, however... yes, he would definitely hurt them.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #39
RockytheDog

Dogs in the forest

I lurk here a lot but almost never post. I'd thought I'd chime in.

I hike and fish with two large dogs. One is a 120lb Rhodesian Ridgeback and the other is a 90lb Shepherd/Rottweiler mix. They are both obediant and well-behaved, but they are very big and I can understand people being afraid of them.

I usually am bushwacking or on seldom used trails. Its difficult to have them on leash when hiking because they are constantly getting tangled in trees and undergrowth. I make them stay where I can see them and when another hiker approaches I leash them and we step off the trail to let them pass.

Both dogs have excellent recall and will stop chasing a deer or squirrel and return if I call them. The problem comes when someone approaches and I don't see them. The Ridgeback thinks that the way to introduce yourself is to charge someone while barking. Then he tries to get them to pet him. He also loves to run the trail at top speed and if someone is there he veers at the last moment to go around them. Ridgebacks are very fast so it looks like he's going to run into you. He doesn't touch them but I am not willing to trust that it will never happen.

I can see how this can be scary, It scared me when I first adopted him. This has happened twice. Both times, the person understood what was going on and just laughed at him but that was pure luck. In any case, there is absolutely no reason that someone should be subjected to a situation like that where any reasonable person would be frightened. We are currently seeing a trainer to stop this behavior. It costs slightly more than $1000. I hope it works but Ridgebacks are naturally suspicious of strangers and his brother has anxiety issues. I'm thinking it might be a good thing if he got a good shot in the face from a hiking stick. Might change his behavior a bit. Please feel free. Then yell "NO!" and tell him to sit down. I'll hold your pack for you.
RockytheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #40
St.Regis

Rocky, I hope the training helps because if your dog behaves the way you say it does, I see bad things happening to it
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote