Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
whitefoot

Cl-50

I was supposed to do this trip in early May with my 2 daughters and my girlfreind, but things happend and I never made it till now.
July 9th , I headed out solo because my family couldnt join me at the time,
I drove from North syracuse to cranberry lake in just under 3 hrs. and parked at the Burntbride pond trail head on rt 3.
I checked my gear one more time and started hiking at 12:15, I didnt really have a plan as to how far I would go today because of the time I left the trailhead and not knowing the terrain, so i dint know how far I would be hiking, I figured I would at least make it to the DEC campsites near the lake, I ended up just stopping at the DEC campsites for a short break and then hiked to Dog pond, just over 10 miles, I spent the night on a new tent site next to the pond, really nice little pond.
Day 2, I wanted to try and get to High falls and also do a side trip up cat mntn. for a break and check out the veiws. I left Dog pond at 7:30 am, hopeing not to get lost because i know there are new sections of trail through here and im not sure how well it's marked, I did'nt end up getting lost but the trail was alot different then it was yesterday, alot of ups and downs, not very big but constantly , and alot of MUD of coarse so that slowed me down a little.
I stopped at Chair rock creek for a break, I sat at the boat landing, I stayed there for about half hr. taking in the veiws and had a snack, then started hiking again, I seen the first person since I left yesterday, he was going the opposite direction, we talked for about 10 min. about what each of us had comming up and then parted ways.
Today would turn out to be the day to see alot of people, I was begining to think i wasnt going to see anyone, while hiking I came accross many beaver ponds, one of them litterally had thousands of tadpoles swimming in there with there legs, I dont know where all of the frogs are going to go when they are frogs. another pond was drained of water , that was weird. I climed cat mntn. on the way to high falls, its a half mile or so to the top, pretty easy climb and worth the side trip, I took a nice long break up there,had it all to myself. then started my last 5 miles or so to high falls.
I arrived at High falls at 5 pm , there were about 8 people the and there were tents all over the place, I talked with some of them for a few minutes and found out they had come by canoe, before i knew it, they were putting beer in my hands, it was a good night after 16 + miles on the trail today,the beer was good, I found a spot and set up my tent and crashed for the night.
Day 3, I hiked into wanakena, The trail was mostly flat , although there are many beaver dams to skirt accross, I stopped counting them after awhile, I made it to wanakena just before the rain started, I waited out the rain on the front porch of the general store for awhile before heading towards the leanto on the other side of the Forest ranger school 2 miles away, I bought a large Canadian beverage to carry with me for tonight at the leanto, my last night on the trail.
Again, I am lucky and make it to the leanto just before a thunder storm rolled in, when I arrived at the leanto, about 2 pm, there was a group of people there that had come by boat, they were just getting ready to leave when I got there, they where there having lunch and had a fire going, when they left, I had the place to myself for the rest of the day and night, I watched it rain all afternoon wich put out fire quikly, the rain finally stopped at about 5 or so, I ate dinner, started a new fire and drank my tall canadian beverage that I had packed in from the store. It again started to thunder storm during the night, I was glad to wake in the morning to see that the rain had stopped, but it was going to be a wet hike out to the road,
The leanto is on a short spur trail off of the main trail, for some reason I thought I had to go right off of that trail when I left the leanto in t he morning to get to the road, so I did just that, for about 15 or 20 minutes, I didnt feel i was going in the right direction so I got out the trail description and map , and realized I was going the wrong way, thats the only time I was kinda lost on this trip, so it is marked pretty well as long as you pay close attention as to what color trail your supposed to be on because its not always marked in BLUE, could be RED or YELLOW.
Day 4, 10 miles back to my truck, only 4 on the trail, 6 on the road, I arrived at the trail head on rt. 3 at 9 am, sunday morning and started my dreaded 6 mile road walk back to my truck, I was hopeing to get a ride from somebody but I never got picked up, it was really warming up by this time and I was now looking foreword to seeing my truck again, I also know now that rt., 3 has a graduale incline all the way from the peavine swamp trail head to cranberry lake.
I didnt see any moose or bear, but i did see alot of deer, birds, an owl, snoshoe rabbit , snakes and frogs and toads.
-Bryan
CL-50 # 81
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Fantastic, you finally got to enjoy such a wonderful outting.. I mayself had one of the best times around this lake.Congrats on your finish, sorry your family could not be there as well.. sure has been alot of people since i was there at the end of may. will you be posting any pictures?

Rob
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
adktyler
previously adk88

Nice trip, Bryan. I'm really glad that you had fun and were successful, in spite of the wetness. I hope those memories stay with you forever.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
whitefoot

I did take alot of pictures, but i dont have anyway to post them,sorry.

-Bryan
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

thats a bummer..id like to see the difference with the leaves on the trees...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 07-28-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
adktyler
previously adk88

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefoot View Post
I did take alot of pictures, but i dont have anyway to post them,sorry.

-Bryan
You need a facebook! You can embed photos in your report if you have a facebook.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

maybe he has no cord???? HMMMMMMMMMM
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 07-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
whitefoot

[QUOTE=viewseeker;129629]maybe he has no cord???? HMMMMMMMMMM[/QUOTE

No, what I actually did, was I printed the pics at wallmart, then i deleted the whole card like an idiot, thats why I cant post any pics.
Sorry.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #9
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

thats fine, make copys and send them to us....sound good to you tyler!! ))
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
Old 08-06-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
looncry

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
Fantastic, you finally got to enjoy such a wonderful outting.. I mayself had one of the best times around this lake.Congrats on your finish, sorry your family could not be there as well.. sure has been alot of people since i was there at the end of may. will you be posting any pictures?

Rob
Rob: Any pics on your TR? Looncry
''Tadpoles and pondslife is extreemly intriguing-especially under a microscope!
How much can I see in one drop of water?Amoebas-parasites and ,well,tons of kool stuff. Looncry
Old 08-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #11
trankin
Views and Brews!

I hear Corey tried this once. When he got half way, he was tired so he bailed and turned back!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:06 PM   #12
fingerlakeshiker

nice
fingerlakeshiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Originally Posted by looncry View Post
Rob: Any pics on your TR? Looncry
''Tadpoles and pondslife is extreemly intriguing-especially under a microscope!
How much can I see in one drop of water?Amoebas-parasites and ,well,tons of kool stuff. Looncry

Ya, just follow the photos link and pics of CL-50 are there on webshots.
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13

Tags
cranberry lake 50