Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #1
Stryder

Upper Works to Flowed Lands Oct 11-12

Thanks to those that commented on my questions with this trail-head that was new to me. We really enjoyed our trip. This trip was myself (some experience but out of shape) and my 14 year old daughter (less experience, very athletic).

Originally scheduled for Fri to Sun but Fri nights forecast was 100% rain so went Sat instead. Good decision since arriving at a new trail head in the dark would have been challenging. Next time we’d think about stealth camping in the van along the way somewhere.

Sat was beautiful. Hike in was very scenic, weather was great. We were overloaded though and did not do the mileage conversion properly. An Adirondack mile is not a normal mile when you factor in the ups and downs plus trail conditions (rock, mud, etc.) And an Adirondack mile under full pack is a little longer at that.

The sites were also pretty full. Happy to share but we eventually found a tent spot. We had a great evening Saturday. Good food, good temps, good stars.
We intended to hike to Hanging Spear or Tear of the Clouds Sunday but opted instead to hike out Sunday after a leisurely morning. Returned to car, dumped backs and went back to check out Henderson Lake.

So it was a bit shorter than planned but we really crammed in the scenery with the foliage and weather. Also, the schedule changes I think really helped it stay an enjoyable experience for a young backpacker just starting out.

The one thing I can share with those looking at this route is the terrain makes it difficult to find suitable space for tenting. Your tent may be a backup to staying in a lean to, but start looking for a spot early. This is probably common sense for this crowd.

Gear Review for this trip:
  • Klymit Insulated Static V Lite: I usually treat myself to a new toy each trip, alternating big and small. Two of these were new for this trip and I am very pleased. Much easier to pack in, the design seems to stay under me better than other pads, very warm. A real winner.
  • Esbit Alcohol Stove & trekking cook set: I switched to alcohol about 5 trips ago and am pleased with decision. Dirt. Simple. Not as fast as other options but I get to gaze off and enjoy scenery as water boils. The trek set is super too – pretty much all we needed. I carried a bit to much fuel, but always wanted coco 5 minutes away.
  • Eureka! Mountain Pass 3 XT : I love this tent. It is bombproof. With that said at 8lbs it is not a trail tent. I brought it because this was daughter’s first cool weather wilderness camping experience and I thought it would help if some of the gear was familiar. Will continue to enjoy it canoe camping but will look at a smaller tent or hammocking for backpacking.
  • Buff Headband: She had one of these and had way to much fun using it in a variety of configurations. Blindfold for ride up, hair control, warmth, etc. Way to much fun. This was her gear pick of the trip.
  • Field & Stream Zero Degree mummy bags: I’ve had these for five years now. Have taken mine down to -10F. For a store brand, I am pretty impressed. Probably not the lightest option but cost to comfort rating is high. On this trip when the sun went down the temp dropped suddenly. It was a great feeling to have a warm place to go.
Stryder is offline   Reply With Quote