Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #41
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahikes View Post
(pg please!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
"sure gotta' purdy mouth ain't he?"
:d
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #42
SaraHikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A warm campfire & cold beer! ����
How do you keep the beer cold? I'm a pretty big beer geek myself, but find it's usually not worth the weight to lug around in my pack and end up drinking lukewarm. Sometimes I'll pack a little single-serve bottle of cab sauv for a nightcap. Side note, I visited the new Big Slide brewery last week. Had a great time there, they make some good brews.
SaraHikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #43
Neil
Admin

Clearly we are all different in our likes and dislikes when we are enjoying the great outdoors. The beauty is that as long as we don't impinge upon others' enjoyment or disrespect the regs we can do pretty much as we please.
Whenever I hike and/or camp out I find that the niceties many enjoy (music, certain foods, wine, beer etc.) hold no appeal for me. I always say (half) jokingly to my wife that I'm not there for the food or drink but just to be outdoors. She on the other hand prepares really nice food, which clearly enhances her overall experience. Different strokes....
Old 09-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #44
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraHikes View Post
How do you keep the beer cold? I'm a pretty big beer geek myself, but find it's usually not worth the weight to lug around in my pack and end up drinking lukewarm. Sometimes I'll pack a little single-serve bottle of cab sauv for a nightcap. Side note, I visited the new Big Slide brewery last week. Had a great time there, they make some good brews.
This is a guess, but I would think the cold beer would be during winter camping trips or, if not that, when canoe camping and you have the option to load a cooler into the boat with you. Unless it's cold out I don't know of any way to keep a cold one cold while solo backpacking. If someone does know, however, I would love to know how.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #45
chriswebb

Quote:
If I can I'll chill my beer in a nearby stream or river for like 15 minutes. Won't be ice cold but it does the trick for me.
chriswebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:22 PM   #46
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswebb View Post
If I can I'll chill my beer in a nearby stream or river for like 15 minutes. Won't be ice cold but it does the trick for me.
Forgot about that as I've done it too actually. I always end up with a cooler beer, but definitely not cold. Still beats drinking a warm one though.

Now that I'm thinking about it I remember reading that Noah Rondeau buried a large box in an ice-cold spring hole near his camp. Supposedly it would keep his butter and whatever else he wanted in it cold year round. Sort of a backwoods freezer.

As for the original question:

I normally will look over the map to see where I've been, the distance I covered and what my plan is for the next day. I also normally have a book but find that I can usually never read for too long as I will inevitably get distracted by the world around me and will end up just sitting quietly while watching and listening to whatever is going on. I can space out for a long time just enjoying the moment and I often do.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #47
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
How do you keep the beer cold?
During the hot & buggy months I mostly canoe camp with a small cooler.
During the cooler months a cold stream usually works out just fine.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #48
Stryder

Great thread. Thanks for the question. I've been hiking with my daughter so we read or play cards. On a Lake George island we both woke up middle of the night and decided go out on the dock/shore and just lay staring up at the stars. When at the Loj or a campsite with a designated fire ring we enjoy a good fire.

I have not been out alone in years - will have to try it again soon.
Stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #49
DuctTape
Out of Shape

A frozen steak makes a great ice pack to keep a beer cold in summer. Buried deep in the backpack, wrapped in e tra clothes will often not even allow the steak to defrost completely the first day.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #50
Jack

Back in the day when I could carry a heavy pack for miles, my evening drink of choice was Old Grandad 100 proof half & half (water/Grandad). Never gave a thought about Beaver Feaver, never got it. After about 3 of those I could care less about not having any cold beer! Ha!
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #51
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
You're alright in my book, Jim!
A wise woodsman for sure!
Thanks again for the email & old photos!
Thanks Justin, I would have shared those photos to the group, but I'm an Old Woodsman.
jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 PM   #52
Hard Scrabble

Cold beer.
Bring a net bag, weight it with stones and drop into 40 foot deep water with a float attached.
Worked for me 50 years ago.
jim
Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #53
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
Cold beer.
Bring a net bag, weight it with stones and drop into 40 foot deep water with a float attached.
Worked for me 50 years ago.
jim
That's a really great and resourceful idea! May have to use that some day. Even if you could only get it 10-15' deep down that water would still be pretty darn cold.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #54
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
That's a really great and resourceful idea! May have to use that some day. Even if you could only get it 10-15' deep down that water would still be pretty darn cold.
See!
Even the old guys have some good ideas.
Smugly.
jim
Old 09-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #55
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
I've been going on a lot of solo trips the past year. I love backpacking with a friend or two, but the older I get the harder it seems to coordinate schedules. So I just head out on my own. I'm wondering what is everyone's favorite activity to keep themselves occupied at night when you're alone before you fall asleep (PG please!). There's always a few hours in the evening before I pass out, where I feel a little bored/lonely and paranoid (every twig breaking is a bear or a serial killer). Do you like to read a book, play cards, etc? I myself usually end up sipping some tea and reading a book. I'm curious as to what pastimes others enjoy when they are camping alone at night.
I have to admit that in my early days, I would think about a partner like Sara.
But that's another time.
Dang it!!!!
Jim
Old 09-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #56
geogymn

The only thing worse than a warm beer is no beer.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #57
Justin
Moving along

Another option for a few cold beers when backpacking that I've used in the past is to use a small (lunch size), insulated, lightweight cooler bag that you can purchase at most grocery stores, or from Target, Walmart, etc, that can hold say 3-4 beers or so. On your drive to the trailhead, keep them in a regular cooler with some ice until you get to the trailhead, then pack them in your backpack inside the small cooler bag with a few chunks of ice (preferably in a plastic bag to help prevent leakage). Your beers will stay cold for several hours even on the warmest days.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:40 PM   #58
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
The only thing worse than a warm beer is no beer.
Or no Sara!
Old 09-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #59
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
A frozen steak makes a great ice pack to keep a beer cold in summer. Buried deep in the backpack, wrapped in e tra clothes will often not even allow the steak to defrost completely the first day.
I've known thruhikers to pack beer and icecream inside their sleeping bags that way after a visit to town.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #60
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Forgot about that as I've done it too actually. I always end up with a cooler beer, but definitely not cold. Still beats drinking a warm one though.

Now that I'm thinking about it I remember reading that Noah Rondeau buried a large box in an ice-cold spring hole near his camp. Supposedly it would keep his butter and whatever else he wanted in it cold year round. Sort of a backwoods freezer.

As for the original question:

I normally will look over the map to see where I've been, the distance I covered and what my plan is for the next day. I also normally have a book but find that I can usually never read for too long as I will inevitably get distracted by the world around me and will end up just sitting quietly while watching and listening to whatever is going on. I can space out for a long time just enjoying the moment and I often do.
Before refrigeration, dairy farmers would store the milk in milk cans ( remember them??) in a "spring house" before bringing them to a creamery for processing.
Every larger small town would have a creamery.
Jim