Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #21
mgc

Great thread. I have learned that I should never shake hands with strangers.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #22
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Dig a cathole 6" deep with a fashioned digging tool out of a stick or bring along a digging tool (I bring a big clamshell), do your business, and cover it up; give it an adequate stomp or two.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #23
gebbyfish

So many signs already at each trail register. Not sure another one isn't going to just get lost in the "yellow" noise of all the signage. People already seem to ignore the ones that are already there.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #24
MTVhike

I guess I'm just lucky but I usually can hold it until I get back. Having Port-a-Potties at the trailheads would be great!
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #25
pigpen

i don't believe in pooping just as a personal choice but more power to you all #respect/onelove
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #26
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
I guess I'm just lucky but I usually can hold it until I get back. Having Port-a-Potties at the trailheads would be great!
Try it sometime. A few minutes of ungraceful gymnastics, and you really do feel better.
http://edthesmokebeard.com/
All Downhill From Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
SaraHikes

I try to use a porta potty or thunderbox whenever available. When there is no other option, I dig a cat hole. Rather than burying paper, I keep a travel pack of baby wipes in my pack. Then I put the used ones in a non-see-through plastic bag (reduces the ick factor), tie it shut, and pack it out with me until I have access to a trash can. I find if I'm eating well and getting lots of fiber, there's um, not much to wipe up
SaraHikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #28
JohnnyVirgil

Pretty much the same method here, re: cat hole. I'm a fan of the deep squat, while a buddy of mine prefers the orangutang hang or the tree hugger method. I never go for the downed log, because you know you'll find a cesspool behind it. Sometimes at campsites where I know there's no thunderbox, I'll bring an extra trowel and leave it behind, hoping people will get the hint. So far they've all been stolen.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #29
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

The trick is to avoid any logs < 50' away from a campsite. People say 150', and they may even think it IS 150', but in these woods it's not, and when you have to go, you're not going to count paces. The trick is to pick a spot 150 actual feet from a section of regular trail. The likelihood of finding someone else's previous efforts is essentially zero. Plus you're not concentrating it in a radius around an established site, leading to smells, flies, bears, etc.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #30
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Downhill From Here View Post
The trick is to avoid any logs < 50' away from a campsite. People say 150', and they may even think it IS 150', but in these woods it's not, and when you have to go, you're not going to count paces. The trick is to pick a spot 150 actual feet from a section of regular trail. The likelihood of finding someone else's previous efforts is essentially zero. Plus you're not concentrating it in a radius around an established site, leading to smells, flies, bears, etc.
Yep, this is true. I should say I avoid the downed log in the "established" cesspool area around a campsite. I've even been known to (disgusting) clean up after others. My house is approximately 50 feet long, so I have a generally good idea of how far 150 feet is.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #31
TEO

In all my years hiking, I'd always just used the combination of my boot heel & local sticks to dig my cathole. This summer I invested in a GSI trowel, made out of recycled Lexan water bottles—you know the old-school polycarbonate bottles, BPA included at no extra cost. What a difference. I can dig a smaller diameter, deeper hole, in less time. It is well worth the minimal weight penalty.
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #32
Stryder

Can't thank enough the folks who are adding thunderboxes. You just need to look at the trail register to understand that some areas are heavy use. And if you figure a percentage of those listed are less than knowledgeable about Leave No Trace, back country etiquette, common courtesy, etc.

We plan our meals wisely (I'm from Rochester, but you will not see me enjoying a 'garbage plate' prior to hiking), use biodegradable wipes, toilet paper and cat hole it. We also enjoy the facilities at the Loj when we wish to glamp (fire pit, water spigot, 24 hour washroom - livin' the life).

On my todo list is switching over to 'pack it out; pack it ALL out'
Stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #33
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEO View Post
In all my years hiking, I'd always just used the combination of my boot heel & local sticks to dig my cathole. This summer I invested in a GSI trowel, made out of recycled Lexan water bottles—you know the old-school polycarbonate bottles, BPA included at no extra cost. What a difference. I can dig a smaller diameter, deeper hole, in less time. It is well worth the minimal weight penalty.
That trowel is awesome. Light and cheap.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:18 PM   #34
All Downhill From Here
Longstrider

I use the old-timey orange trowel myself. I think its subtle advertising that "hey, I bury my poop, maybe you should too."
Old 09-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #35
Trail Boss

FWIW, for the precious few times I've ever had to "go", the heel of my shoe worked a treat. However, the lack of a trowel robs me of some 'street cred'.

Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #36
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
FWIW, for the precious few times I've ever had to "go", the heel of my shoe worked a treat. However, the lack of a trowel robs me of some 'street cred'.

By Da Holy Feesh!
I can't count the times that I've had to go.
Winter, spring, summer and fall.
I've used the heel of my boot, a snowshoe to dig a hole or the tip of a ski.
Or the closest outhouse at a leanto.
I can't imagine spending more than a few days without attending to natures call.
I may have met you, you're the grouchy guy that I passed on the trail.
Smiles
Jim

Last edited by Hard Scrabble; 09-02-2016 at 04:50 PM..
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #37
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post

And some depth!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #38
Trail Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Scrabble View Post
I may have met you, you're the grouchy guy that I passed on the trail.
Smiles
Jim
LOL

You mean the guy with the constipated expression?

But seriously, I live 2.5 hours away and just day-hike in the High Peaks. I rarely ever have a need to "go" in the woods. In my case, carrying a trowel would just be a symbol of a club I don't belong to ... "The Regulars".
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #39
montcalm
Mobster

montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote