Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #1
Viking

Outdoor Enthusiasts

Good morning,

Doing some planning - how were the crowds at Little Tupper and Low's over the weekend?

Thank you.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
LongLaker

FWIW Viking...
  • Paddled the Bog River from lower dam to Hitchens/upper dam on Tuesday 9/8. Counted 30+ cars at the lower dam put-in.
  • Paddled Forked Lake on 9/12. Campground full. Lots of company.
  • It's further away from LT and Lows, but not a sole on Henderson on 9/9
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:30 AM   #3
Viking

Pulled into the dam for Lows about 4:00 am Sat. The 3/4 mile road had about 4,000 cars and the road before the turn had cars everywhere as well.

Decided to bag this plan and drive over to Round and LTL. Only 5 cars at Round and the sign-in showed these people were on 3 sites so I settled in.

By the time I arrived at site #8 my gear was covered in frost. The fish had a firm case of lock-jaw

The word might have been out that people were having gear stolen because nobody was paddling around that I saw. I must say this crossed my mind a couple of times when paddling.

Big part of the plan was to test drive new gear and I can say that the new zero degree Marmot bag worked well. Didn't even climb in - just pulled it over the top like a quilt.

Time to shut down canoeing for the season for me - need to get the boat out for steelhead.

Enjoy the fall everyone!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

When the kids were young, MDB and I camped at Horseshoe Lake a half a dozen times one summer back in the early 90's. We would day trip in to Lows, Hitchins, Big Trout, etc...there were never many people despite the easy access.

Then, a few days before Labor Day weekend that year, the place was mobbed, cars jammed on the access road to the lower dam in every possible spot. We had no idea why it all changed (pre internet days). As I carried our canoe past a car with CT plates, I happened to see a recent edition of Canoe magazine folded over on the passenger seat, showing the article about a new found paddling destination...that was the last time we camped at Horseshoe!
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote