Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #1
Hiker801

Whitney Property for sale

Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...million-141618
Hiker801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #2
Huezee

Paging Jack Ma...
Huezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
TCD

I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I hope Jack Ma or some other private buyer gets this. If it ends up with the state, they will take my money to buy it (and I don't really want it). And they will destroy the beautiful, historic buildings, open it to the public, and let it become a mud pit.
You really need to leave this state.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:33 PM   #5
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker801 View Post
Anyone got $180 million to spend? For 36,000 acres your looking at $5,000 an acre. Hopefully it doesn't get sold off and subdivided by a developer. This land is the missing link for some long distance canoe trips. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articl...million-141618
Looks like her (much junior) husband didn't love it as much as she did
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #6
OntarioSkiBum

Quote:
I'm not a New Yorker, but spread out across all the private and corporate tax payers it doesn't seem like it would cost one individual a lot for a lot of opened up recreational possibilities. If I lived in NY, I'd say buy it for sure!
OntarioSkiBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
You really need to leave this state.
Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Love the Adirondacks too much right now to leave. Hiking, climbing rock and ice, backcountry skiing.

But the bigger part of my family is in Florida, and that's probably the future, maybe in ten years when I'm 75. By then, the Cuomo dynasty will have totally destroyed NY, and it will be time to leave.
I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:04 PM   #9
Woodly

I'd like one of the guide boats please.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:09 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

PS If the state DID buy - I'd be happy if Jack Ma came and used it as the rest of us plebeians would.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
Buckladd

$3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 PM   #12
TCD

Quote:
I don't want to get into the politics, but if you think a Chinese national (and I'm not being racist here, I have nothing against China or the Chinese as a whole) would be better suited to the land than the people of this state, then you really have a problem with democracy and true freedom, not with the Governor.

If you truly love something, set it free...

I'm sure you've heard the saying.
Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #13
TrailBlaser

Quote:

I hope you find peace in Florida and enjoy yourself there. Best of luck.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:03 AM   #14
Tug Hill

The state is broke but it has not stopped it from reckless spending. Recent press releases in my area shows the DEC purchased a $16,400 ROW across 2800’ of private land. What the press release didn’t tell the readers, is, the reason for purchasing this ROW is to build a million dollar (?) Bridge for the snowmobilers. Just wait and see, all this bridge access is going to do is open this easement land up to illegal ATV traffic.

NYS has not proven they are able to properly manage the land and easements they already have. They should do that before purchasing more property.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
$3B Bond Act on hold as of today, so who knows what the EPF will look like, which typically pays for land acquisitions in the Adirondacks. A more likely scenario would be a private buyer for the buildings, and the state acquiring the land via OSI, TNC, or both. Would love to see the 1800's trapper's cabin.
This sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. I have zero interest in the buildings. If the cabin has real historic or educational value it should be packed up and moved to the museum.

Last edited by montcalm; 07-31-2020 at 05:42 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #16
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:28 AM   #17
adkman12986

Quote:
Maybe "the people of this state" could convince their government to do a better job managing the areas it owns.

When I through hiked the NP trail in 2007, it was dramatic how much better the trail conditions were in the sections owned by "the (hated) private lumber company" than in the sections owned by "the people of this state."

If we want to get support for state owned land, we need to get the state to do a heck of a lot better job of managing it.

No political agenda here; I just go based on what I see in the woods. I am virtually certain Jack Ma could do a better job of land management than NY State. Hell, my dog could do a better job.
I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Hendrickson has been quoted that he specifically wants a private buyer, NOT NYS, to purchase the property. Both he and Mary Lou were devastated by the destruction of the LTL Brook trout. So the individuals that succeeded in advancing their personal vendettas have ruined the chance for all future visitors to experience Little Forked and Slim Pond.
Lol. Didn't they want to put a hotel and cabins on the lake before the state bought it?

This Hendrickson guy is a complete slimebag. He has no vested interest in anything to do with that land except to make money off it.

Last edited by montcalm; 07-31-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkman12986 View Post
I also agree that the state and people need to learn how to take care of what they already have. As someone who lives in the middle of the Adirondacks and have for the last 70 years I have seen many areas of private land that the state has bought turned into a trashed area. Even here on this forum there has been many post of garbage and trash left behind. As much as I would love to see that area I feel that it will no longer be a pristine area if the state buys it
Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
ILikeRocks

Quote:
Again, LOL!

Apparently you haven't really been to many wilderness areas in the Adirondacks and seen all the junk left over from 70 years prior when they were owned by private individuals.

The amount of trash that gets left these days is a nuisance, but it's hardly a drop in the bucket compared to the dumps of old, the logging, tanning, mining and acid rain damage that's been done by private individuals and companies of the past.

As far as the fancy camps - we have a few preserved to show us a bygone era when the mega-rich of NYC used the Adirondacks as their personal playground and simultaneously almost destroyed all of it before the state stepped in and started preserving it.
I think that’s pretty well said. I know it’s easy to complain about the DEC but I think they do a pretty darn good job considering the diverse nature of the Adirondacks. What other states do a better job of managing their wilderness areas in people’s opinion? And how do they do better than our state?

Last edited by ILikeRocks; 07-31-2020 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Typo
ILikeRocks is offline   Reply With Quote