Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #21
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaute View Post
I've used a sea to summit mosquito shelter in lean-to's with decent success. I think they also have a two person version.

https://seatosummitusa.com/products/...-insect-shield
I would caution against this particular model. If you click on the link at the bottom for more information about the mesh material used (15D Ultra-Vis), they are pretty upfront about it not being no-see-um proof. 500 holes per square inch is pretty inadequate for no-see-ums... you want mesh with like thousands of holes per square inch to keep no-see-ums out.

Granted, no-see-ums are one of the more site specific bugs in the Adirondacks- so you could get away with using bug netting that isn't no-see-um proof in certain areas. But with a bug net that isn't no-see-um proof, I think it's only a matter of time in the Adirondacks before you choose your destination poorly... and end up absolutely hating life because the local bloodsucker population is flying through your netting like it isn't even there.

Generally speaking, I've noticed that Sea To Summit tends to use netting that is not no-see-um proof in most of their bug net offerings, which unfortunately makes it a good brand to avoid when shopping for anything netting-related for use in the Adirondacks. The rest of their gear is pretty good, though.

Last edited by DSettahr; 05-14-2020 at 04:01 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
Wldrns

About no-see-ums ("punkies" locally). They are at their worst on warm humid nights. Many times I have heard people who have escaped into their tent, say that they are somehow getting into a completely closed tent with a good screen. Truth is, they had embedded themselves on your clothing while you were still in their cloud outside. Then they fly off your clothing inside the tent. Remove excess clothing, brush or spray your clothing and body before unzipping your tent, even at the risk of stripping naked before entry.
Old 05-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #23
Viking

Mr. Kayaker,

You will miss the lack of screens on the lean to's like they have on Isle Royale. When I got here from MI I was surprised to discover this. Eureka No Bug Zone for me and the Mrs. We have no issue paddling out during black fly season with this equipment.

Loved the Isle Royale pics. Got engaged on the pier in front of the lodge about a hundred years ago.

Welcome!
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #24
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Eureka No Bug Zone for me and the Mrs. We have no issue paddling out during black fly season with this equipment.
I have the Eureka VCS 13 and love it. I use it for paddling trips and even easy backpacking trips where I'm base camping. There's no frame, rather it sets up on a ridgeline (easy enough to tie between 2 trees) and 2 stakes to pull out the corners. It is suuuuuuuuper nice during bug season to be able to have a place to get away from the bugs other than your tent. It's great to be able to hang out, cook and eat dinner, relax, read, socialize with other group members, etc., all without having to rely on constantly feeding a smoky fire (which may not be that effective anyway depending on how the wind is blowing).

There is a newer version that cuts down on the weight some by combining the mesh and tarp into a single unit.

One draw back: For some reason, Eureka does not sell the VCS/CT bug houses in the US, so you have to order them from their Canadian site- and pay import fees to have it shipped into the US.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #25
Woodly

DS, Eureka is about 3 maybe 4 miles from me and when they reopen I will ask the shop manager, who I know, why they don't sell the bug houses here...and who knows where that may lead?
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #26
TrailBlaser

When canoe camping in peak bug season I take my Nemo Bug Out shelter. I can pitch my hammock in it and still have room for gear and relaxing. Along with my hammock bug net, it gives me a double layer of bug protection. If you don't already do so, I would also suggest treating your clothing with Permethrin. I treat my backpack with it too.
Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 AM   #27
Rich Lockwood

Don't you have trouble with blackflys crawling under the sides at the ground? I did on a bugnet riged over my sleeping bag under a tarp
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:19 AM   #28
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lockwood View Post
Don't you have trouble with blackflys crawling under the sides at the ground? I did on a bugnet riged over my sleeping bag under a tarp
This is why I pick bug nets with built in floors to sleep in when tarp camping- maximum protection from the bloodsuckers. The Eureka bug houses don't have built in floors and yes, I've also noticed the occasional bug that is able to find it's way in under the netting (the bug houses still make a huge difference, however).