Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Fate, Bad Luck and Brook Trout

UpstateDave, Glen and I planned a trip. The last week of September was the only time it could work. Rhe sun continued to beat down relentlessly, which certainly didn't help us or the brookies. So we set out for a secret pond. Fishing was slow but acceptable and pond surface temps were just below the cutoff point. We caught a few fish, nothing spectacular. Then the state helicopter flew over and almost dropped a load of fingerlings into Dave's lap. Just like Viet Nam but with different ordinance.

We regrouped and decided to hit a well known road accessible pond that has rainbows. It was 66 degrees all the way to the bottom. Glen caught four bullhead, fair caught on flies, making him our new Bullhead King. Congratulate him on his coronation. It's quite an accomplishment: in 52 years of fly fishing I've never seen a bullhead caught on a fly.

We decided to go high, one of the higher ponds we know of. On the drive over Glen got the fateful text calling him back to Long Island and the world of work. No protestations would do. He was out of the picture with naught but a couple of brookies and a mess of bullheads to show for his planned week of fall fishing.

Dave and I hiked into a cooling rain. We set up a cozy camp. Then we worked very hard for a couple of fish, failing to convert a number of good strikes.

The wind came up, the pond temperature dropped 2 degrees and the next day we found a few fish. Again, we failed to convert on some of the big ones.

Friday, our last day. Two more degrees subtracted from the pond temperature. We were into fish, really good ones. Only Dave started foul hooking them, first from the top, then from the bottom. I told him it must be a technique he picked up from his time on the Salmon River. He threw some hard object in my direction that landed with a splash. Some people!

Then Dave tried something I wouldn't have: a particular small fly. The brookies hunted it down and pounced on it. We caught a dozen or so between us, mostly good ones. Then it was Dave's time to depart.

Gmorin showed up and we had a pleasant chat in camp. I look forward to his report!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020553.jpg (89.1 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg PA010727.JPG (65.3 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg PA020760.JPG (65.5 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg PA020759.JPG (80.0 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpg PA020751.JPG (80.1 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg PA010739.JPG (63.0 KB, 412 views)
File Type: jpg PA010747.JPG (61.7 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg P1020574.jpg (70.1 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg PA010742.JPG (62.1 KB, 411 views)
Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

Well done boys but where are the bullhead pics? Those brookies are easy but it takes skill and calm nerves to catch bullheads on a fly.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
mar71

Gorgeous fish gentlemen. Your hard work and persistance paid off. Glen sorry you had to rush back home I know the feeling. Thank you VT for posting your trip pics they are truly an inspiration to get out and fish
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Just turn off the Damn cell phone Dave!!! You've got to get your priorities streight.

I was up in the SRCA wed-fri and heard the chopper flying over a few times , wondered if they were stocking.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
marzrw

Old 10-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #6
Stillhunter

Those are absolutely gorgeous specs and under difficult and changing conditions. You have provided inspiration for my next trip before the season ends!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #7
EagleCrag

vtfly: Any specifics on that "particular small fly" or is that an inside joke? Details, we must have details! And yes, beautiful pictures and fish as always--love those fall colors. I saw the stocking helicopter in the vicinity of Tupper Lake last week as well.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:45 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
vtfly: Any specifics on that "particular small fly" or is that an inside joke? Details, we must have details! And yes, beautiful pictures and fish as always--love those fall colors. I saw the stocking helicopter in the vicinity of Tupper Lake last week as well.
No particular secret, Eagle. It was a small, brown soft hackle with a bead head, size 16. The brookies were all over it.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #9
chaser
pond jockey

Well done!!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #10
Hard Scrabble

What is more nice than a fall brookie?
Thanks,
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:36 AM   #11
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Oh my. Envy attack. I am so looking forward to next spring. Wish I could find the time now.

"Pushing the limits of easy."™
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
gmorin71

I did have a report but I got so busy when I got home with work. anyway....

i had a trip planned for a while that i was really looking forward to. I was going to start on a few of my favorite rivers/streams east of where I live, then hop on the northway, enter the adirondacks from the east side and hike into a pond that i havent fished since early spring and camp out.

USGS showed my streams dropping to a very nice level and i found the rivers to be in great shape with ideal water temps. fishing was a bit slow, but I did get into fish consistently all morning long. dropper took most of the fish but as the day wore on the ausable ugly started killing it. I did catch one beautiful brown about 18" but I didnt get a pic of her as i figured my day on the river was over and had the phone shut off (i need to buy a camera).

got some food at a great little place in town and hopped on the highway, into the daks and up into my pond. was a little concerned on the way in as it was COLD! arrived, set up camp, as he said ran into vt, was great chatting for the short time I did see you, hopefully you got out of the woods in time. couldnt stir much up in the evening, was excited to fish the next morning but woke up to cold and WIND WIND WIND. it blew me all over the pond, tough to cast, frustrating so i high tailed it out. even though i didnt pull much out of the pond, it was great to be out as always. 2 more small day trips into a couple ponds to close out the season then its steel time! I'll post up anything i get into this weekend, in the meantime here's a few decent fish representative of a nice morning

[IMG][/IMG]

gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #13
Hard Scrabble

Good Lord!
Aren't they beautiful??
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #14
wildbrookies

Nice report VT!! Beautiful char!! Feel bad about Glens early departure. At least the bullheads were safe after he left.

Also, Gmorin71, glad you got into some nice trout!. Almost made it out finally last friday ,water looked perfect on the USGS site like you mentioned,but my truck decided to blow a transmission coolant line 3/4`s of the way there. Thank God for AAA though and an old friend who lives just 5 miles away from where it happened. Might be done for the year unless I can sneak a steelhead trip in ,we`ll see.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #15
gmorin71

wb dont even get me started on transmission issues! i went through hell with my insurance company in the spring about that same thing, hopefully it all gets fixed up quick and yes, AAA is a godsend. even with that youve gotta find 1 day before the season closes, just think how many months til you can get out haha. I will be out as much as i can this weekend, 2 quick pond trips and 2 rivers/streams. will be exhausting but hopefully a great send off to the season then, after that its all about steel which i am very excited about.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #16
wildbrookies

I know..gmorin,.I`ll try!! Thanks for some confidence building!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 10-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Nice report VT!!my truck decided to blow a transmission coolant line 3/4`s of the way there. Thank God for AAA though and an old friend who lives just 5 miles away from where it happened. Might be done for the year unless I can sneak a steelhead trip in ,we`ll see.
Man, sometimes life just isn't fair. Hope you get out of it without a whole lot of cash flying out of your pocket. I did hear, though, that your mechanic is behind on his boat payments.

Do keep in touch re: steelhead! Maybe this is the year you, mea and Ross finally meet up!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #18
wildbrookies

VT/gmorin,
Was`nt as bad as I first thought. Actually the lines were replaced last year ,but the garage that installed them put the wrong connectors where they enter the bottom of the trannie!! Only cost $150.00 with labor(inwhich was $95/hr) so, maybe the ol` trout truck will be ok for awhile Might have to go talk with the mechanic I originally went to also!!

WB
Old 10-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #19
wildbrookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
Man, sometimes life just isn't fair. Hope you get out of it without a whole lot of cash flying out of your pocket. I did hear, though, that your mechanic is behind on his boat payments.

Do keep in touch re: steelhead! Maybe this is the year you, mea and Ross finally meet up!

Yeah, sucks when I can finally break free and hit the river before going to work and never make it to the river or to work. Not a lot of money involved but vacation days are worth gold in my way of thinking...guess it could have been a lot worse, could have hit a deer like on another thread posted by x-600-x.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #20
gmorin71

VT, do you tie your dragonfly nymphs with an up eye hook? mine ride upside down.