Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you register your dog at the trailhead?
Yes, because people should know a dog is on the trail. 7 28.00%
Yes, he is trying to be a 46er 2 8.00%
No 7 28.00%
I don't have a dog. 9 36.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
runslikeajohndeere

Doggone it

Do you sign in your dog when you hike a trail? I'm curious if people do this as a courtesy for hikers who follow them up the trail. Would it be helpful to know to have a dog treat available for that bear or dog on the trail?
runslikeajohndeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
b00tz

I do, but the only indication I leave is after our names in the "number of persons" box I put 1 (or however many actual people are along). Haha well, this last weeks trip, I did include after checking out, the annotation "Bugs ate dog".
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I register my dog, but not to alert others. I do it so that the DEC has a better idea of who is using the trail, and for what.

A dog may not count as a full person, but the DEC uses trailhead register information to allocate funds for trail and backcountry maintenance projects. I don't want to deny the DEC funding it should rightfully have as a result of the added tread of my dogs footprints on the trail.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

no.

Two reasons.
Dog is not a taxpayer.
When counting for bodies from aerial search they may be looking for a party of two. People . One dog and one person in the party can muddy the search sending teams off in search of another person.

I dont get cute with notes on the register. Just the facts.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
b00tz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
no.

Two reasons.
Dog is not a taxpayer.
When counting for bodies from aerial search they may be looking for a party of two. People . One dog and one person in the party can muddy the search sending teams off in search of another person.

I dont get cute with notes on the register. Just the facts.
My register notes happen to be cute and just the facts......
b00tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
Alpine1

I think it's a good idea to register ALL in the group.
Sometimes we register the dog sometimes not.
Oliver will now always be in the register as a dog so not to confuse what ever issues might be at hand.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Which is why, when I do register my dog, I specify that it is a dog and not a person. I don't get "cute," all I do is write something like "1 person + 1 dog."
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
yellowcanoe

I was amazed at the "cute" entries at Inlet.
Such as "maybe we will sign out" and "when we want to leave".

Just a reminder that Rangers have a big job and anything we can do to make it easier might help.

IDing your dog as a dog might help.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Just a reminder that Rangers have a big job and anything we can do to make it easier might help.
This is definitely true.

However, studies have shown that register use compliance is generally only about 50%- that is to say, only about half the hiking groups that enter the backcountry actually sign the register. Compliance rates tend to be a bit higher in high use areas utilized by low experience users (such as the High Peaks), and lower in low use areas utilized by high experience users (such as more remote wilderness areas like the West Canada Lakes). Rangers are fully aware of this, and while the register is one of the first places they check for information during a search, they have learned that you quite often cannot rely on the information within a register to make the search go more quickly and smoothly.

A lot of people don't sign registers because they don't want to be found; they are seeking solitude and freedom from being around other people. While the odds of someone seeking a person out simply because they signed the register are low, not signing the register does carry a bit of psychological weight with it- "I'm on my own, completely and entirely." Some people want that feeling in the backcountry, even if it means creating a dangerous situation should they become lost/incapacitated/etc.

The way I look at it, even if you are confident in your abilities, and want that feeling of self reliance, you should at the very least sign the register so as not to deny the DEC funding for trail and backcountry maintenance that is necessary as a result of your entry into the backcountry.

There are also a significant amount of people who don't sign the register on their way in, but do sign it on their way out for both of the reasons stated above.

Also, on a side note about my own personal preference, I enjoy reading through registers and seeing where people have come from, what areas in the backcountry they were visiting, and even the "cute" entries.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #10
Foottraffic

I feel that it is her responsibilty to sign in and out of the registers so until she learns to write, she can't become a 46r
Foottraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:49 AM   #11
Rik
H-E-R-O

"1 + dog" is usually how I sign in.