Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #21
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Have a pair of needle nose pliers with you, whether you intend to keep or release the fish. Northerns are some of the best eating fish out there. Some people don't like them because of all the Y bones, but there's a filleting method to get rid of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JkA68kceCw

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:47 PM   #22
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Regis View Post
Have a pair of needle nose pliers with you, whether you intend to keep or release the fish. Northerns are some of the best eating fish out there. Some people don't like them because of all the Y bones, but there's a filleting method to get rid of them

LONG needle pliers.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #23
PJFFF

Thank you all who contributed.
PJFFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 05:21 PM   #24
Viking

One thing to keep in mind is that, generally speaking, large pike and small pike hang out in different areas. "Hammer Handles" - small guys in that 18" range are plentiful and are aggressive. You can generally pound these pretty easily. It's hard sometimes to move from these fish when biting to another area.

But if you want the bigger fish then move from these areas and into habitat conducive to big pike. Good luck.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 AM   #25
richard1726

Long shadows, long Pike. And thin water, fat Pike.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:13 PM   #26
Lowjack12

Troll fast slow all day. Fire tiger and gold and black probably works the best in the adk. Go on the hottest days and fish deep structures and big wind on the hot days. Don't need to go any deeper than 15 down with the baits. Long line some back far of a board one in the prop wash don't stop moving. Low pressure days are the best and if it sunny and low pressure even better.
Lowjack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:00 AM   #27
ADKpikebuster

Hey all I’ve been on a hiatus studying underwater basket weaving in the mountains of Afghanistan but I got called back by glen to teach VT how to fly fish. With that being said pike fishing for me is most productive in the morning and in the evening, I like using large spinners and spoons like Mepps and doctor spoons. Fire tiger patterns seem to work really good in shallow weedy areas. Remember take lots of beer with you Busch light is the preferred drink of the superior fish

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #28
Glen
Check please

Good to hear from you buster!
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #29
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Pikebuster!!! Welcome back! Glen will never teach me to fly fish so I might as well surrender and fish for the prehistoric fish with you. Busch Lite is a non starter however.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:14 AM   #30
EagleCrag

Good to see you back Pikebuster.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #31
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Thanks for your service. No more Pike in Afghanistan