Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
PJFFF

Tupper lake (new neighbor)

Hello everyone,

In the first week of February. My fiancée and I will closing on a home in the Tupper Lake area. Being in my early 50's now. I've been coming to the Adirondacks since the late 80's. More of the central part of the park though. I hope to be able to make new friends and fish around the area.

I don't bring a lot of baggage (lol) or friends to harm the area. I have a great respect for the beauty found in the Adirondacks. I hope that I can come familiar with the area and possibly enjoy some time on the water.

I'm posting this with the hope of meeting some of you if you'd consider welcoming a newbie to the area!

Thank you! Patrick
PJFFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Hard Scrabble

Welcome Patrick!
A good forum.
"Upper Tupper" is a great venue.
Good warm water fishing and good trout lakes.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

I lived in Tupper for several years in my younger days, was a much healthier , busier town back then, but I do think it's turning the corner. Had a lot of fun there back in the late 70's early 80's. I own a second home in Lake Clear, plan to move back there (from CT) when my wife retires. Everyone else around here moves south, we're heading north.

Checking my calendar on the new year revealed that I was in the Adirondacks 56 days last year.

Lots of good paddling, fishing, hunting etc in the area. I always hit the Swiss Kitchen or the Lumberjack for breakfast when I'm up.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM   #4
St.Regis

Stop in at the Thirsty Moose in Childwold. The Marketplace Deli is another good spot.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
EagleCrag

IMO the best food in Tupper is at Little Italy. Swiss Kitchen is favored by many of the locals and the Lumberjack is a good spot for breakfast as CT Yank mentioned. Welcome PJ. I have a camp in the area too, at Eagle Crag Lake.
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
Buckladd

Welcome PJFFF:
You're in a good area with much to do year-round, at least in my opinion. We live in the Lake George area but camp up that way. Can't help much with the food as I'm gluten intolerant and have only had a GF pizza at the Italian spot up there, which was pretty good! I've passed by the Thirsty Moose (Pub n' Grub) many times but have never stopped, although I've too heard it's good.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

I remember Tupper when the "Oval Wood" factory was in existence.
They made the wooden spoons for "Skippy Cups".
That's a long time ago.
Jim
Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Wldrns

I'll second the Swiss Kitchen as a great homey style diner. Good solid traditional diner type food for breakfast and lunch. I go there quite a lot, my go-to place when I'm not with a lot of other people.

The Lumberjack is pretty good for breakfast, but often the wait is too long to get served. Right next door you can get the best fresh made breakfast or lunch sandwiches and a large variety of fresh yummy pastries at Larkin's Deli.

Little Italy has the usual Italian fare (of course). Good food, but the air is often overly warm in the dining room and it can be crowded at any time. You can get anything from the menu as take-out. That's a good thing when it is over packed and the wait for a table is long, as it usually is during the 90-mile canoe race.

I've been happy with the Pine Grove Restaurant too. Had many 90-miler race end-of-day dinners there with paddling crew and friends.

Just down the hill to the east on Rte 3 is the Marketplace Pub and Deli. Haven't tried the pub, but you can get a wide variety of very tasty fresh made to order deli sandwiches there.

Oh... and welcome to the area.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #9
PJFFF

Wow!

Thanks for the ideas and places to visit. We are so looking forward to spending time there. My children can't wait to go and enjoy the outdoors.

I've spent a lot of time fishing western New York for Salmon, Steelie's and Browns. I so look forward to fishing with my son in the Tupper area!

Thanks for the welcome!

Patrick
Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #10
EagleCrag

You may want to check out the You Tube videos on stocking landlocks in Tupper Lake. I think that will develop into some good salmon fishing. With all the feed in that lake they should grow to huge proportions.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Hard Scrabble

EC,
Lots of folks don't know that there is a great fishery for lake trout and walleye in Tupper.
There is also an overlooked fishery for whitefish.
Jim
Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #12
EagleCrag

Scrabble: I was unaware of the whitefish--wouldn't mind getting into some of them through the ice. They can be awful finnicky though. Also tough to target them when there's so many other, usually more desirable species around. I have heard (heresay mind you) that the DEC thinks the next NYS walleye record could come out of Tupper. I really haven't fished it much but from what I understand its difficult to catch fish because of all the feed in the lake. Tons & tons of smelt. And there are pike & panfish to boot.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Scrabble: I was unaware of the whitefish--wouldn't mind getting into some of them through the ice. They can be awful finnicky though. Also tough to target them when there's so many other, usually more desirable species around. I have heard (heresay mind you) that the DEC thinks the next NYS walleye record could come out of Tupper. I really haven't fished it much but from what I understand its difficult to catch fish because of all the feed in the lake. Tons & tons of smelt. And there are pike & panfish to boot.
EC,
The old timers would bait ice fishing holes with a bag of corn to catch whitefish (basically a big minnow). Great eating!
It's not hearsay, Tupper is a good walleye fishery.
Jim
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #14
JW

is corn harmful to fish?
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:33 PM   #15
chaser
pond jockey

It can't be good for them. Sero will know. Help us out with this one Sero??
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
EagleCrag

Jim: I have heard & read where folks will chum for whitefish but have never done it myself. I think they keep chumming the same location repeatedly so as to "train" the fish to keep coming back. Some folks use rice too though I'm not sure if either corn or rice is bad for the fish. Fishing for whitefish used to be much more popular than it is today--not sure why. I know they can be quite finicky at times but once you find out where they're hanging our and what they want, the action can be pretty fast. Quite a few lakes that have Lake Trout also have whitefish or cisco so I sometimes will try for them if the lakers aren't cooperating (which is often for me). There's quite a bit of information on them on iceshanty.com if you look in the right place. They seem to be a much more popular target species in Canada.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
Hard Scrabble

EC,
I remember when canned corn was used for bait when fishing for Kokanee salmon.
There was a study made and it was determined that fish could not digest it. Makes sense to me, but the impact would be pretty minimal. They didn't spread corn all over the lake that was being fished.
I'm thinking that the corn kernels looked like fish eggs.
I've been told (never tried it) that whitefish would take a flutter spoon fished deep and slow.
To be honest, I've never caught a whitefish, the closest I've come is to catch fallfish in the upper Hudson.
Jim
Old 01-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
EagleCrag

We catch whitefish in the summer on swedish pimples or hopkins jigs. They hit pretty hard when they hit, but you have to be careful as they have delicate mouths and you can literally rip thier lips off. The ice fishermen in Canada use what are called wire worms--nothing more than copper wire wound around a hook shank. That must imitate some natural food, not sure what. But we digress from the thread topic........
Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
We catch whitefish in the summer on swedish pimples or hopkins jigs. They hit pretty hard when they hit, but you have to be careful as they have delicate mouths and you can literally rip thier lips off. The ice fishermen in Canada use what are called wire worms--nothing more than copper wire wound around a hook shank. That must imitate some natural food, not sure what. But we digress from the thread topic........
Understood
Jim
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #20
PJFFF

A lot of great information here.

Does anyone know of if the potential for big Pike exists in Tupper? I know neighboring Cranberry does.

Patrick