Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
jgrecoconstr

Spring Fly Fishing

Hi, I'm new to the forum and frustrated as well with fly fishing this season so far. Just wondering what success people have been having and what your fly fishing with. I've been using a fly rod for about 4 years now and finally thought last year I was getting fairly decent with it. I've been out 4 times now this season so far and no luck at all. I've tried mainly nymphs stone and caddis, some scud patterns as well. I've tried weighting the tippet but not sinking lines. It would be great to hear just how someone else is doing.
jgrecoconstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
brookie

For what it's worth, I've been fly fishing for 20years, and this April has made me wonder if I should have taken up golf instead. Was on west canada yesterday, water was a balmy 39 degrees. Struck out all day, even worked may way down to an 8x tippet without success. Headed south of the thruway late afternoon, found some trout waters in the upper 40's and all of the sudden I couldn't miss. Pretty cool feeling to finally start connecting, until I hooked a big brown. Two runs and my woolly bugger and the trout were gone. Should have switched back to a 4x tippet....
brookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
amnesiac

Spring Fly Fishing

my favorite quote from a colleague this week: "I'm not saying only a--holes golf, but I find that if someone's an a--hole they probably also golf.
amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
Gman

Don't feel bad. Anyone who has fished for sometime hasn't even gone out yet due the conditions. It's pretty tough going as the water is high and cold. I struck out on the "A" water and resigned to catching some stockies that had been in the river for a couple days. Beige 8" trout with stubby fins.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
nativeadk

Yep, in the river I fish I think there are very few fish actually in the river right now. Pretty sad there aren't more survivors. Couple that with ice cold water that isn't warming during the day and it's tough.
nativeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
wildbrookies

Yup. After 45+ years of frustrating spring fishing, I don`t bother wetting my waders until the Ostrich ferns(Fiddleheads) start popping. But, just getting out and hiking around a trout river is a great way to scout out new places and see how your "old" favorite rivers have changed over the winter. Also, good exercise,I guess too. But, I`ll keep hitting the gym for another week or two. Then, you`ll see this forum pick up in reports,photos and stories of hogs that got away!!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #7
Gman

If you live near a farmer and he is putting his corn in. Daffodils or Tulips flowering. Dandelions flowering, grass needs first cut. Lots of signs. Or you could just buy a thermometer and check the water temp.. If it's still in the 40's stay home. 55 is the magic number.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

A Grand Weekend Out

So I've been fishing relentlessly, pretty much since the season opened here in VT. I've also been near the point of psychosomatic rabies waiting for the ponds to clear. This weekend they did.

Pond 1 was ice free and, as far as I could tell, un-fished before me this season. About 10:30 it sprang to life. Nothing huge - all 11.5 to 13" but nicely shaped and good fighters. I caught around 20 of them, mostly on a damsel. The water temp was a surprisingly warm 43 degrees.

Today I went to pond 2. Water temperature was similar, as were the fish sizes. I did have one tremendous grab, which stripped the fly right off my leader. Might have been a Mermaid. We'll never know for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring 2015.jpg (63.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 04-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
gmorin71

Nice fish! Hitting my first pond this weekend can't wait!
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
Gman

There are ponds up here that are open and the guys had fishing just like you did. Good numbers but nothing huge. I was supposed to go but checking my brand new tube I found it was leaking air in one bladder. Going back to get my money back tomorrow. I went stream fishing downstate. High cold dirty water. So I beat up some beige hatchery trouts.

BTW.....drove by the Salmon River in the AM and it was HIGH. Later in the day is was perfect level. I wish I threw some steelhead tackle in the trunk. The Sandy's were perfect.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #11
mar71

Very Nice VT, thanks for posting.
mar71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
wildbrookies

Yes, I knew ,the master would get into them somewhere! Nice report, and photo! Getting close for me to emerge into my ole favorite river. But, still will wait for the Fiddleheads to poke through the earth. To me, its a proven ,given. Corn, daffodils ,tulips and dandelions ,well, we`ll see.
I guess ,its just an old way of mine to get your gear together whenever you see the fiddlehead knuckles start showing. Also, not a bad way of harvesting a bag full of Ostrich Ferns to be sautéed later on after a good day of fishing or not. Bonus!!
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 04-27-2015 at 10:39 AM..
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
Gman

I don't have fiddleheads in my back yard. So I go with what I can. If you are somewhere and see fiddleheads chances are you're not far from a trout stream so you may as well fish. Also fiddleheads are not real common along ADK streams. My streams up here look like Michigan streams and have fiddleheads everywhere and watercress. Never seen watercress in ADK streams.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
Gman

BTW all those signs are triggered by the same response. It is when the soil hits a threshold temperature which is above 50F. It also plugs into the same sunlight, temperature threshold stream insects are I tuned as well. A stream may have early hatches and the fish may feed on them but they do so from winter lies. Which means if there is no hatch you are throwing your nymph into slow deep water....hardly a winning technique.

I have found that it is not until the Hendricksons (55F) start that trout will move into riffles and runs that can effectively prospect, hatch or no hatch.

In the fall it is different. Trout if not in the throws of reproduction will be in the same riffles, pools and runs even in 45F water and will be there until winter when the seek out deep refuges.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #15
Gman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
So I've been fishing relentlessly, pretty much since the season opened here in VT. I've also been near the point of psychosomatic rabies waiting for the ponds to clear. This weekend they did.

Pond 1 was ice free and, as far as I could tell, un-fished before me this season. About 10:30 it sprang to life. Nothing huge - all 11.5 to 13" but nicely shaped and good fighters. I caught around 20 of them, mostly on a damsel. The water temp was a surprisingly warm 43 degrees.

Today I went to pond 2. Water temperature was similar, as were the fish sizes. I did have one tremendous grab, which stripped the fly right off my leader. Might have been a Mermaid. We'll never know for sure.
Well that brookie looks like a good solid 14" and nice and thick. Thats a nice trout anywhere.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:23 AM   #16
jgrecoconstr

Nice fish!!! I haven't tried pond fishing yet and I should with all the water around here but the rivers always seem to keep me busy. Nice to know it just wasn't me striking out. I always love getting out no matter what but a hit here or there always makes it that much better.
jgrecoconstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #17
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman View Post
Well that brookie looks like a good solid 14" and nice and thick.
13" if you stretch him. But the Mermaid that stole my damselfly nymph, now that's another story altogether!.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #18
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
13" if you stretch him. But the Mermaid that stole my damselfly nymph, now that's another story altogether!.
as i rebuilt my pond box this winter I tied up a couple dozen of those woven extended body damsel nymphs. fun to tie and great looking flies! when reading up on the behavior it is said that damsels make their way towards shore and the fly should be casted OUT and brought in towards shore. do you see any significant difference in how the fly is fished? meaning can you fish it the same way you would fish a leech or any other pattern with the expectation that if a fish sees it, it'll eat it and not ignore it just because of the direction in which it is swimming?
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM   #19
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
as i rebuilt my pond box this winter I tied up a couple dozen of those woven extended body damsel nymphs. fun to tie and great looking flies! when reading up on the behavior it is said that damsels make their way towards shore and the fly should be casted OUT and brought in towards shore. do you see any significant difference in how the fly is fished? meaning can you fish it the same way you would fish a leech or any other pattern with the expectation that if a fish sees it, it'll eat it and not ignore it just because of the direction in which it is swimming?
I've never seen any difference. During hatches you'll often see damselfly nymphs whipsawing their way across the surface in many directions. Once the breeze comes up they seem to get aligned.

Don't forget that these are long-lived nymphs and are available all year except for the month after hatching. It's a rare trout indeed that will turn one down.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #20
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Let's not forget the greatest synchronicity observed in the Adirondacks. That is the correlation between the best fishing and the emergence of hordes of bloodthirsty blackflies...

Tags
fly fishing adirondacks, spring fly fishing