Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Environmental Issues
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #41
b00tz

I truly do not want to continue a contentious discussion, but I have to comment on one idea that has been expressed more than once here when it comes to firearms. The idea of "risk to personal safety", its as if people think firearms simply discharge themselves, they don't. There are people that are just waiting to win a darwin award practicing their spinning cowboy draw, or violating any number of safety rules, but the mere presence of a firearm is not itself unsafe. Some people have unwarranted fears of snakes and spiders, some of firearms. i keep mine concealed as much as I can while backpacking as I do not want to ruin any ones individual outdoor experience, but if it is noticed (hasn't been yet)the idea that some people have that a holstered sidearm is just as dangerous as one your staring down the barrel of, well, it urks me a bit.

Thank you for allowing me to speak my peace, I hope no offense was taken by my viewpoint....Now how's about everyone just goes outside to play huh?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #42
ADKeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTail View Post
Perhaps I misread your original post, but it sounds like you've been carrying a concealed handgun to this point without a permit? Not a good idea. As far as the utility of a handgun to defend yourself from an attacking bear, no insult intended, but it's nearly laughable.
Agreed and agreed on both points. Of the many reasons to carry a sidearm in the wilderness I would rank bears at the bottom of the list.

It is a balancing act between benefits and costs as sombody mentioned. The only cost I can think of is extra weight on the belt.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #43
ADKeagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00tz View Post
I truly do not want to continue a contentious discussion, but I have to comment on one idea that has been expressed more than once here when it comes to firearms. The idea of "risk to personal safety", its as if people think firearms simply discharge themselves, they don't. There are people that are just waiting to win a darwin award practicing their spinning cowboy draw, or violating any number of safety rules, but the mere presence of a firearm is not itself unsafe. Some people have unwarranted fears of snakes and spiders, some of firearms. i keep mine concealed as much as I can while backpacking as I do not want to ruin any ones individual outdoor experience, but if it is noticed (hasn't been yet)the idea that some people have that a holstered sidearm is just as dangerous as one your staring down the barrel of, well, it urks me a bit.

Thank you for allowing me to speak my peace, I hope no offense was taken by my viewpoint....Now how's about everyone just goes outside to play huh?
+1
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #44
fisher39

I can't believe no one made a joke about prophylactics!
Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #45
Rik
H-E-R-O

There are bears attacking families in the Adirondacks? Who knew?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #46
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
There are bears attacking families in the Adirondacks? Who knew?
Shhh - it's supposed to be a secret.
“Death is the only wise advisor that we have. Whenever you feel, as you always do, that everything is going wrong and you're about to be annihilated, turn to your death and ask if that is so. Your death will tell you, 'I haven't touched you yet.” Carlos Castenada
Old 06-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #47
WiseFool
Backpacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00tz View Post

I completely agree with this. Indeed firearms are dangerous tools, and need to be handled as such with utmost safety and respect. The argument that they will magically leap into a bears paws (or whatever aggressor's) is weak. I think people underestimate their own natural instinct to survive. This is not to say that everyone turns into Clint Eastwood when threatened, quite the contrary, I'm sure, but we tend not to sit there like a whimpering child and hand over the firearm, either. We are animals, and like all animals we thrash and kick and fight back when we are attacked. I've been attacked before (on city streets), and I did not cower and let the attackers have their way. Likewise, I would not let a bear (or violent aggressor) get close enough to take away my means of self-defense. You are smart to keep it concealed, and like another poster said, to not advertise it. Only reveal it to use it. I agree that hidden safely on one's person or in one's pack, firearms pose no danger in the right hands.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #48
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
Justin - a bayonet vs. a bear? Don't you have to get, like, really really close?
Just to clarify...
I am never worried about being attacked by a black bear in the Adirondacks.

However, the world is full of stupid, crazy, insane, sick human beings that do try and attack other people.
It happens everyday!
Black bear attacks on humans in the Adirondacks.....not so much!

Like I said, sometimes the bayonet just helps me sleep at night when I'm solo!

Last edited by Justin; 06-23-2010 at 04:46 PM..
Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #49
smurph420

most alaskan guides and rocky mtn guides in grizz ter use anything above 454 to 480 kissel u need stopping power for that kind of situation! something with 10,000ftlbs of enery or more to stop an animal that weighs 200 plus lbs running at u at close to 30mph u really gunna carry that much lead in the woods??? id rather save space for something more inportant thats me like i said if your legal and u want to, go right on doing what your doing i just dont see the need as the old saying goes "what ever helps you sleep at night!"
Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #50
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Just for conversations sake, how many people here are familiar with the habits of black bears and how many think that if attacked, they could stop the bear dead in it's tracks with a hand gun?

Remember, a bear who is in sight does not necessarily pose a threat, and most bears will use a false charge to try to scare away a threat, (In the bears way of thinking, you are as much of a threat to it, as it may be to you) or to try to scare you away from food if it's around.

So to justify using that firearm, you would need to be positive that the bear was a threat to you.

Here in the Adirondacks, bears have been so conditioned to humans making food available, they have developed habits which are quite common and quite well known. So in most cases the bear is not really a threat and the best solution to 'the problem" is to just move away.

So, who can stop a charging bear in it's tracks, with a handgun?

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 06-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #51
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Just for conversations sake, who can stop a charging bear in it's tracks, with a handgun?

Hawk
Apparently Trooper Donah can.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #52
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Just to clarify...

However, the world is full of stupid, crazy, insane, sick human beings that do try and attack other people.
It happens everyday!
Black bear attacks on humans in the Adirondacks.....not so much!
That's interesting as that was *exactly* my thought when reading the first post.

Last November I had done a solo hike up Baker Mountain and had my Pepper Spray strapped around my wrist the entire time. And it certainly wasn't out of fear of any four legged animal approaching me, as I'm sure it wouldn't really stop a bear anyway.

It would however, stop a two legged animal.

~ZZ

(Click on Greeneyezz)

"The soul that can speak through the eyes, can also kiss with a gaze."
~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #53
adkman12986

Tarus 357 mag with 240 gr hollow points. Yes Hawk I could stop a bear but that wouldn't concern me half as much as some of the nuts camping and hiking.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #54
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyezz View Post
That's interesting as that was *exactly* my thought when reading the first post.

Last November I had done a solo hike up Baker Mountain and had my Pepper Spray strapped around my wrist the entire time. And it certainly wasn't out of fear of any four legged animal approaching me, as I'm sure it wouldn't really stop a bear anyway.

It would however, stop a two legged animal.

~ZZ
I guess that's my point.
As it's been pointed out by others, there is really no need to carry any protection against bears or other wild animals in the Adirondacks... as long as you know, understand, and follow the suggestions, recommendations, & regulations of other experienced outdoors enthusiasts and the DEC.

I am more affraid of crossing paths with a psychopath, than I am about being attacked by a wild animal in the Adirondacks...but then again, when was the last time someone was attacked by another person in the Adirondacks?

It just doesn't happen very often.

As far as I'm concerned, the Adirondacks are one of the safest places on earth, as long as you know what you're doing.

Then again...
...If I happened to lose my life in the Adirondacks, then I guess there's no other place that I rather it happen.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #55
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Yet again...
...If I lost my life in the Adirondacks, then I guess there's no other place that I rather it happen.
That's not really comforting for me. lol

(Click on Greeneyezz)

~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Old 06-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #56
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

When I go into the Seward's to fish or hike, 99% of the time I'm off trail to camp an fish,I don't worry about bears, I've had more problems with coyotes then anything else, I've had a pack not twenty five yards from me coming toward me growling, I shot a foot in front of him to scare him an they ran off. My most recent one was two weeks ago after George an I parted, I was hiking up the Npt past Big eddy when all of a sudden one howled behind me,I turned around an there was two of them not fifty yards away, One howled again an I hollered an they went into the woods,

I carry a 357m with me it is small an fits into my pocket . One time I was just coming out into the trail head when a co stopped to talk to me, He was expecting me out ( I always tell him my route an time out) he happened to see my pistol an said I'm glade you carry that, If something should happed it makes a good signaling device, It carries louder then a whistle.I don't flash it around, It stays in my pocket.

Bob
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 PM   #57
Little Rickie

I don't carry protection in the woods or anywhere else. I'm a married man. My pistol is in my pants where it belongs. If a bear (or anyone else) came along they wouldn't want to see me pull it out anyway. No worries.

I don't keep food in my tent or sleep where I cook. That seems to help.

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Old 06-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #58
Greeneyezz
Syracuse OranZZe ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post
I don't carry protection in the woods or anywhere else. I'm a married man. My pistol is in my pants where it belongs. If a bear (or anyone else) came along they wouldn't want to see me pull it out anyway. No worries.

I don't keep food in my tent or sleep where I cook. That seems to help.
I'm sure Justin will be very relieved.

(Click on Greeneyezz)

~Gustav Adolfo Becquer
Old 06-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #59
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyezz View Post
I'm sure Justin will be very relieved.
Like I said, The world is full of sickos!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #60
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
I've had more problems with coyotes then anything else, I've had a pack not twenty five yards from me coming toward me growling, I shot a foot in front of him to scare him an they ran off. My most recent one was two weeks ago after George an I parted, I was hiking up the Npt past Big eddy when all of a sudden one howled behind me,I turned around an there was two of them not fifty yards away, One howled again an I hollered an they went into the woods,
Bob
So, do you think having a fire arm is what saved you from being attacked in that first encounter?
Closed Thread