Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
donald_112

Dix and Hough (almost) 5/30/10

This was our family’s first backpacking trip. We have 20 high peaks as a family but always as day trips. I picked Dix and Hough since it seems reasonable for 1 or 2 nights. We drove up on Saturday morning and got to the Round Pond parking lot on Route 73 at 9:30am. The lot was full but I made another spot. Three other cars pulled in after me and they decided to park off the road right in front of the trail head. It was raining lightly so we waited 15 minutes and the rain stopped (no more rain the rest of the weekend). Pack weights: 10 year old daughter 12lbs, 12 year old son 25 lbs, 14 year old daughter 27 lbs, wife 35 lbs, me 40 lbs. We had 2 tents and food for 3 days (two bear canisters).
We hiked the 4 miles into Boquet lean-to making good time (3 hours). When we got there the lean-to was open so we put our stuff in there. Others showed up during the day but they camped. A family of 4, a group of 5 guys and another group of 3 who camped on the other side of the river. We actually had a lot of time to kill since we were all set by 2pm. We thought about heading up to Dix but did not figure we would have time. The kids had fun around the river, we ate dinner and went to bed at dark. After about 7pm there were no bugs of note and we slept without bug nets.
We got up at ~6:30am and were off by 7:30am. The hike up to Dix was steep as expected but with our lighter day backs we had no problems. I stopped at one of the last streams and pumped 5 liters of water, which was a good thing – we would use it all before we got back to this spot. We summited Dix without seeing anyone. It was about 10:30am and we had an early lunch. A group of three that had come over from Hough joined us at the summit for a snack. It was very windy at the summit and we were glad we brought our jackets. We headed off for Hough at 11am. We got over the Beckhorn which was exciting (a few rock scrambles). We continued down the Dix trail, which is steep with a fair number of scrambles (reminded me of the Wolf Jaws). After about 45 minutes I realized we were not heading toward Hough. We turned around and headed back up – there was much grousing at this point since Dad had led them in the wrong direction. The family had decided that they really wanted to get back home on Sunday night instead of staying another night. That meant we needed to be back at the lean-to by 6pm (7pm at the very latest).
We got back to the Beckhorn and my daughter and I spent 20 minutes looking for the trail to the ridge to Hough. I could see the ridge, and Hough, but we could not find the trail. It was now almost 2pm so we had to make a call. We gave up on Hough and head back over Dix. The wind was very strong! If anyone finds a red Niskayuna Soccer cap it is mine!!! We moved down the hard part of the Dix trail and back to the lean-to by 5pm (pumped 4 more liters of water) – if anyone finds a bug net in a blue bag we lost that too. We packed up quickly with visions of pie at the Noon Mark Diner dancing in our heads. Almost without a break we hiked back to Route 73 getting to the car at 8:10pm. Everyone’s feet and backs hurt but after a wonderful dinner at the Noon Mark diner we headed home about 9:30pm. Thank goodness my wife was alert since I was falling asleep. We got back to the Capital District at 11:20pm – shower and bed. Great first backpacking trip!!! We are 21ers. We will get Hough another time – maybe a day trip from Elk Lake.
donald_112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
ADKian

Sounds like a great trip! I can't wait until my kids are old enough for that.
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_112 View Post
Great first backpacking trip!!! We are 21ers. We will get Hough another time – maybe a day trip from Elk Lake.
Sounds like a great time for you guys! I did the 5 on Sunday and doing Hough from Elk lake up Hough via the Lillian brook trail is a relatively easy trip with water most of the way.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Pete_Hickey

A couple weeks ago, we did our blowdown clearing up to the base of the slide. Can you tell me it there is any blowdown from the slide to the summit?

Cory... Did you go up/down the Beckhorn or hunters pass trail? How was the blowdown there? Was there much?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Cory D
ColdRiverRun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Hickey View Post
A couple weeks ago, we did our blowdown clearing up to the base of the slide. Can you tell me it there is any blowdown from the slide to the summit?

Cory... Did you go up/down the Beckhorn or hunters pass trail? How was the blowdown there? Was there much?
I went up and down the two branches of the Lillian brook. I did have to do some hurdles to get to the start of the path though. There is a good number including right out of the parking lot.
Cory D is offline   Reply With Quote