Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
donald_112

Elk Lake Memorial Day Weekend

Hi, we are planning to hike Dix and Hough from Elk on Memorial Day weekend. The plan is drive in Saturday morning, hike to Lillian Brook lean-to, camp that night and then hike Dix and Hough on Sunday, spend one more night and hike out on Monday. This is the first overnight in the woods with the family (kids are 10, 12 and 14). My biggest worry is parking. Last time we were there we were barely able to squeeze into the lot.

What are people thoughts about being able to parking at ~9am Saturday morning?

Also, any idea if there is still snow on Dix or Hough?

Thanks,
Donald

Last edited by donald_112; 05-22-2010 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: cannot spell
donald_112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
JackG79

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_112 View Post
Hi, we are planning to hike Dix and Hough from Elk on Memorial Day weekend. The plan is drive in Saturday morning, hike to Lillian Brook lean-to, camp that night and then hike Dix and Hough on Sunday, spend one more night and hike out on Monday. This is the first overnight in the woods with the family (kids are 10, 12 and 14). My biggest worry is parking. Last time we were there we were barely able to squeeze into the lot.

What are people thoughts about being able to parking at ~9am Saturday morning?

Also, any idea if there is still snow on Dix or Hough?

Thanks,
Donald

Hi Donald,

In my experiences with Memorial Day Weekend in the Adirondacks, if you want to get a decent (spot, Parking spot, camping site, rental, room, anything) you pretty much gotta be there on Friday.

The Folks on this forum know every single place in the Dacks, and they will be able to give you more area specific advice.

I took Friday off of work, and Tuesday off of work. Gave me a 5 day weekend!!! I'll be getting my spot Thursday evening after work! : )

This has been my ritual for years until I got my own camp. I would suggest early arrival if you MUST go on Saturday. There Northway is going to be PACKED with people trying to make it into the Dacks. You will see what I mean when you pass by the Lake George & Warrensburgh Exits. Usually the Traffic is backed right up onto the Northway for Miles.

Unfortunally Memorial Day weekend has become less and less about War Vets, and more and more about funneling beer among mother nature!

Anyways, enjoy your trip! You said this is your first family trip into the woods with the Fam?!?!? That's great. I hope that you guys enjoy it!!!!! The park has SO much to offer in terms of Family friendly entertainment & activites!

Take Care!!!

Jack Garrand
And cut donuts in my yard
And while the Zeppelin's playing loud
They run off my party crowd
They cuff up my wrist
And throw me down so hard
JackG79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
Rik
H-E-R-O

I would have a back up plan if you can't get there earlier. It's a lot that definitely fills on a holiday weekend and you can't park on the road.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
donald_112

Thanks, for the advice. I will look for a bigger parking lot. We have 20 high peaks as a family but never an overnight in woods!

Is the Garden shuttle bus running that weekend (and Monday?).

Thanks,
Donald
Old 05-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
donald_112

New Plan for Dix and Hough

We are now thinking about doing Dix and Hough from Route 73 and staying at (near) the Boquet River Lean-to. Is there space to pitch two tents (2 person and 3 person)? I was also thinking that if I can't park at the trail head I could park up at Chapel Pond -- does that sound reasonable? Still coming in on Saturday (my wife is a teacher and they look down on missing Fridays).

Thanks,
Donald
Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
colden46

Yep, there should be plenty of parking at Chapel Pond. I've had to do that before, even in winter. The Round Pond parking area is pretty small and fills up fast.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

As long as you are 150 feet from the lean-to, trail, water, and road, and the area isn't closed to camping, you can set up tents anywhere you want. Within 150 feet of any lean-tos, trails, water, or roads, you may only camp at designated sites, marked with yellow "Camp Here" discs. For the average adult, 150 feet is about 60 casual footsteps into the woods.

The Unit Management Plan map (available as part of this pdf file) shows 4 designated campsites at Round Pond. I'm guessing that some of these sites will probably be taken, but this may be a better bet for a first time backpacking trip with children (shorter hike in from the road). Dix can still be easily climbed as a day hike from Round Pond.

If you do make it all the way to the lean-to, the map also shows 1 designated campsite near the lean-to, with 2 additional "proposed" sites a little ways past the lean-to; I'm not sure if these campsites have been cleared and designated yet.

I would bet that by Saturday morning of Memorial Day Weekend, there is a good chance that both the lean-to and the one campsite will be full. Also remember that you cannot set up a tent inside or next to a lean-to; it must be 150 feet away.
DSettahr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
donald_112

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! I did not know about the 150 feet from the Lean-to. Thanks for letting us know. We will try to make the lean-to area.

Donald
Old 06-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
donald_112

Great Trip -- could not find Hough

Things were not very crowded this weekend.

TR is here http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...207#post148207

Donald