Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
motorman
Motorman

Question Which way to tackle Mt. Marshall

Any feedback on which way to go up Mt. Marshall??

Looking to do it as a day hike from either the Loj or from Flowed lands.

It looks like the access from flowed lands may be a little longer, but the 'read' on the ADK Journey site (from 2001)states that the unmaintained trail from there is easier to find and follow, less junk on the trail. I walked past it last year on the way to March/Skylight/Cliff/redfield and it's very easy to spot.

Also, if I was to go from the Loj, is it better to go via Indian Pass and up from the trail that goes around Algonquin, or to go through Avalanche pass, Lake Colden and then up from there...

I'm at 39 and am going to knock off the rest this year!!!!

comments would be appreciated.

thanks,
Motorman...
motorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

The standard approach is to head in from Upper Works, and take the herd path from between Flowed Lands and Lake Colden. This path is well traveled and is easy to follow, just take it up Herbert Brook to the small pond/wetland near the summit, then turn left (south) and continue to the summit.

Some people do climb it from Cold Brook Pass, but I don't know of a herd path, so this may require some compass navigation to reach the summit. I've never done it this way, but if it were me, I'd probably do it as part of a loop around Algonquin, so as to see as much of the area as I could.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

Some people do climb it from Cold Brook Pass, but I don't know of a herd path, so this may require some compass navigation to reach the summit. I've never done it this way, but if it were me, I'd probably do it as part of a loop around Algonquin, so as to see as much of the area as I could.
There is a herd path from the pass.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Neil
Admin

A nice long day would be from the Loj, through Avalanche Pass and up the Herbert Brook Trail. Then head back to the Loj via the herd path to Cold Brook Pass and head down to Indian pass brook.

Or, if you want something completely different, from Cold Brook Pass climb up to Iroquois (check out Shepherd's Tooth while you're at it) and head home via Algonquin (and Wright to make it a four-fer.)
Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

I did from Upper works, easy to follow just dont miss the cairn to head up the HP..
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
TCD

Don't do it the way I did: Upper Works to the brook that meets the trail just after the junction with the crossover trail.

First we struggled to find the actual brook, which is no longer where it is shown on maps (rerouted due to a small slide upstream). Then we followed the brook to the little saddle about 1/2 mile SW of Marshall, and then swam through the thickest spruce I have ever traveled to the summit. When you are on Marshall, find a lookout to the SW: we came THAT way.

TCD
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
Teleskier

Have done it each way a couple of times - I think the Herbert Brook route is prettier, but if you're simply looking for the shortest route and least effort, I'd go Indian Pass trail to the trail to Lake Colden, and you'll find the herd path at the height of land on that trail. The path is well-established, and there's a cairn marking its beginning. But, in fairness, it's shorter, but not dramatically so...
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
NicksMaint

We used the Upper Works access that is mentioned several times above. Easy to follow even with the fact that the return from Flowed Lands to the Upper Works parking lot basically in the dark.

Tom
~NicksMaint
NicksMaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Pete_Hickey

My favorite route is from the Loj... Maybe a bit longer, but for me a lot less driving.

From the Loj I take the route toward Indian Pass, then the trail over toward Lake Colden. JUST before reaching the height of land, is the herd path. That path to Marshall, and DOWN via Herbert Brook. Why that direction and not up Herbert Brook?

My eyes are in the front of my head. Numerous views while on the rocks of herbert brook. I see them on the way down. If I'd be going up, I'd only see them when I stop to rest.