Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #21
Bark Eater Too

Thanks for the report. I had hoped to get in there back in July but had some medical difficulties and had to pass on that adventure. I did locate the beginning of the Wilson Ridge Trail, departing from the MRP Road, just off a campsite across the river. The initial presentation was quite grown in, thinking "this is designated a bike trial"? I concluded I needed to come back for this in the fall after the leaves were down. I think I'll explore your approach from the NPT next time.

ps - Morrissey recommends approach via the Butter Brook Trail, but recent reports say that is quite grown in as well.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #22
Neil
Admin

The Butter Brook Trail is an old logging road cum snowmobile trail, which seems to have been abandoned. It is gradually being reabsorbed by the forest. We did follow it on our way to Little Moose (the peak, not the pond) although we spent about as much time walking parallel to it as on it.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:37 AM   #23
Lucky13

The Northern Cutover shows on the SLIM, although there is a very undefined (I assume grown in) center section of about 300 yards. Other than a faint line meeting the Wilson Ridge trail, I see nothing of the southern trail on the Satellite photo.

My experience of the Plains and how they show up on the Satelittes is that open grassy meadows are wishful thinking. Usually they are low growth of cherry, spirea, blueberry, and meadow sweet, usually difficult to navigate . If it is grassy meadow (like along Sumner Stream to the north of the Cedar River Road from the T to the turn off for Lost Ponds) it is associated with the floodplain of a watercourse, and will be loaded with bog holes and other pitfalls. Darker areas are generally Black Spruce groves, and these can be impossible to penetrate. I've gotten off the trails (intentionally, knock on wood) in a lot of the western Adirondacks, but in the MRP, I have a tendency to stay on them.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote