Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Woodsman

Town of Duane (Northern NY)

What is your impression of the area around Duane, NY? It's not that far from Malone, I'm told

Is it nice? Is it considered the mountains?

Wildlife? ?

Thanks in advance.
Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #2
Bill I.

I've poked around up there a little bit, not as much as I'd like. There is a goodly amount of state land, mostly the Debar Mountain Wild Forest, but also the Meacham Lake Campground, the Deer River, and Madawaska Flow. Paul Smiths is just down the road. All in all, a worthwhile area.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
alombard

It is a pretty nice area. A friend of mine has a camp there and I have done some hiking and hunting there. I would'nt consider that "the mountains" more like the "north country". If you want to try it out, hike Debar Mtn. A nice moderate hike with great views.

AL
-alombard #5624W
alombard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
Hobbitling
spring fever

its practically within spitting distance of Debar mountain, which is 3300 ft, and has some other little peaks around the valley. pretty flat from duane north, and more mountainous to the south. I'd say its on the edge of the mountains.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #5
maxadk

Hi Woodsman.

I did Debar Mt. near Meacham lake in septembre. It's a really nice hike. It's a 7.3 miles round trip and a respectable 1 726 elevation feetgain, and you gain 800 feet on the last 0.5 miles !

Here's a picture from the summit. The big lake is Meacham lake.

Hope this will help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM000023.jpg (72.7 KB, 105 views)
maxadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:22 AM   #6
Woodsman

Thanks!

Thanks Colden11 and everyone!

Guess I'll meet a friend up there and hike Debar Mtn. That area is an acceptable drive for him and I want to check it out.

Woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 PM   #7
suescanal

Duane/Dickinson

Duane hosts the beginning of the Deer River for canoeing, and Hatch Brook lies near its Eastern boundary. You can reach the Osgood River via Meacham Lake. There's not much in the way of mountains, but the boreal forest makes up for it.
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
Old Rivers

Belly's bar & restaurant in Mtn. View is a great place to eat & gather information from the locals who hang out. They get heavy use by ATV/Sno machines from nearby Malone residents and seasonal campers. I think of it more as northern foothills of adirondacks, just inside the blue-line.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote