Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
Jwojcik1990

My season closer trip.

Even though the temps were not super cold, I decided to break out my hot tent and canoe and make the hike out to one of my favorite Brook Trout spots to spend the last week of the season fishing and camping. I had plenty of action, but not in the way I was expecting! Up until the last two days of the trip all my trolling and casting was coming up with nothing but Bass and Perch, and I was beginning to get worried that I would not find any Brookies during the entire trip. My luck turned around on the last two days though, I ended up landing two beautiful Brook Trout. I knew there were Bass before showing up, but had done very well at this spot in the Spring and assumed it would be the same in the Fall. I believe the warmer temperatures were also working against me a bit, as the two Brookies I did land were very "lazy" in way. The bites were also imperceptible and sluggish and had almost no fight until being netted. Still though, I put it down as a great trip with a lot of beautiful scenery and relaxing paddling.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/yoFCAtW

YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/tnf18gMkTI0
Jwojcik1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #2
Glen
Check please

We saw you out there. We were in the float tubes. You did better than we did.
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
Jwojcik1990

I wish I had realized earlier on in the trip how subtle the bites on the Wabbler were going to be. I had plenty that I thought were just Perch taps that I am now second guessing. When I was there in the Spring you almost had to do nothing while trolling, they would grab the entire bait, the rod would double over and they were hooked!
Old 10-21-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
Stillhunter

It is unfortunate that there are so many big bass in there. I would remove my limit every day in order to help the trout out. Any parasites or "gill lice" on the two you caught?
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
Jwojcik1990

No parasites or problems, the two Brookies I caught seemed very healthy! It seemed to me they were just still very lazy and not hitting hard or often, but like I eluded to before, I think it was the temperatures working against me. I have been told by several people that I should have removed the Bass, it just felt wrong to me at the time. I was always taught growing up to never kill a fish or animal unless you plan on eating it and its a hard teaching to shake off, even in a unique situation like this.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:42 PM   #6
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwojcik1990 View Post
No parasites or problems, the two Brookies I caught seemed very healthy! It seemed to me they were just still very lazy and not hitting hard or often, but like I eluded to before, I think it was the temperatures working against me. I have been told by several people that I should have removed the Bass, it just felt wrong to me at the time. I was always taught growing up to never kill a fish or animal unless you plan on eating it and its a hard teaching to shake off, even in a unique situation like this.
Don't stress about it. The bass damage is done and I've never seen a case of angling pressure on bass ever making a dent in their population. That said, we've got to figure out a way to get that pond reclaimed. It's a solid gem!!!