Stocking Atlantic Salmon 4/24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stocking Atlantic Salmon 4/24

The Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club will be stocking 70,000 Atlantic Salmon in the East Branch of Fish Creek watershed this Saturday. If anyone wishes to volunteer , meet at the Taberg, NY public parking lot across from the Catholic Church, 4/24 at 1 PM. Use covid protocols.

Are they seeing any positive results from past stockings? Have any of these stocked fish survived long enough to reproduce?

Comment

We have stocked close to 1 million fry since 1997 . We have not documented any natural reproduction, but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening. People are catching them up to 28” in length in the East Branch and its tributaries as well as Oneida Lake, where they were once a flourishing indigenous species. One of the problems is, that when they are small many people mistake them for brown trout and keep them. Remember Atlantic/landlocked Salmon need to be 15” to keep.

Comment

Hey Tug: When are they letting the pen-reared fish loose? I may be going to Plattsburgh this week for that.
        Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Buckladd, don’t know anything about that. We are a private group trying to restore the Atlantic Salmon in the East and West Branch of the Fish Creek , and Oswego River watershed that feeds and drains Oneida Lake. We stocked 64,000 fry yesterday. Go to our website for more info. , and history of the this once great Atlantic Salmon fishery.
          Fish Creek Atlantic Salmon Club. Fishcreeksalmon.org

Comment

I will check that out for sure. Glad to see grass roots stuff happening.

Here's the pen-rearing info, also good stuff:
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

I was under the impression that Atlantic Salmon remained in the river for a year before migrating to the lake/sea. Steelhead migrate sooner. In the Salmon River system off Lake Ontario it was believed that this limited the salmon returns as much of the habitat gets too warm in the summer to support them. Can anyone confirm this?
              I realize that salmon are the native species in Lake Champlain but I think considerable success could be had with steelhead as well. I know there are a few steelhead out there but there doesn't seem to be much emphasis put on them. Is this because the DEC thinks they will compete with the salmon? Just wondering.

Comment

Yes Atlantic fry remain in the river for a year or more before returning to in this case Oneida Lake. They are called smolts when they head downstream. The great thing about Atlantic’s, is they do not die after spawning. So a adult fish could spawn several times during its life.

Comment

do you get spawning and feeding runs in spring and fall? one of the two? both? neither?
                  "The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?"

Lee Wulff

Comment

There are adult fish being caught in the Fish Creek watershed system, ( up to 30”) but we have yet to document natural reproduction. Fishery Biologists have told us if we had 250 adult breeding pairs the fishery would be self sustaining.

Comment

Tug Hill Salar Project

Not to hijack this thread... Pen were assembled yesterday 04/27 and nets installed at the Salmon River Estuary/Lighthouse Marina - will be placed in the water this weekend - smolts delivered soon. Plenty of people/organizations involved from Trout Unlimited chapters, the DEC, Marina owner, to local students who welded together the pens. Just a volunteer so in no way know all the details nor the hours of background work getting the project this far. Will be happy to update progress over the next month if there is any interest...

Comment

I talked to a guy that fishes Oneida a lot and he landed a 2 foot Atlantic when he was trolling for walleyes

Comment

salar4me thats awesome..yes, please keep sending updates. I've been hearing reports of some very nice salmon being caught on Lake Ontario this year

Comment

Update - Atlantic Salmon pen rearing

Installed the pens today in the rain - a slight mishap when the water level spiked - fish arrive from the Adirondack Hatchery Tuesday.

Comment

Thanks for the update!
                              "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

Working...
                              X