Cassette fly reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cassette fly reel

I was looking at the Hardy ASR but stumbled on the Grey's QRS for less than half the cost. I believe Grey's is subsidary of Hardy. At $139 it seems like a no brainer for trout fishing. Bar stock aluminum, disc drag and easy cassette change out.

???

No trout is going to break ANY reel. Go for it.
    “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
      No trout is going to break ANY reel. Go for it.
      At least none of the trout you might catch.

Comment

Originally posted by EagleCrag View Post
        At least none of the trout you might catch.
        Eagle, I can attest to that. Glen doesn't even fish anymore so consider that any useful advice he might offer only applies to equipment designed before the Great War.

But to the OP, I've found Greys reels not up to snuff. My son had one and it had unacceptable mechanical tolerance issues. They may have improved but the Hardy cassette reels are superior and worth the money if you can find one. I have 2 CLS Ultralites and love them.

On a final note, first foray into the ponds tomorrow with UpstateDave! It's been a long winter!!!
        Oscar Wilde:Work is the curse of the drinking class

Comment

I have a Hardy ASR and love it. It makes cassette changes easy while on the water. Just don't drop it. Its very lightweight so the spool will dent easily.

VT please post a report. I'm on the road and will miss early season (again). Looking forward to living vicariously through you guys for the time being.
          Oh I'd rather go and journey where the diamond crest is flowing...

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly D. View Post
            I have a Hardy ASR and love it. It makes cassette changes easy while on the water. Just don't drop it. Its very lightweight so the spool will dent easily.

VT please post a report. I'm on the road and will miss early season (again). Looking forward to living vicariously through you guys for the time being.
            I'll be happy to post VT's report for him. "At first light, we left the warm confines of our sleeping bags to ready up for the battle ahead. After casting a few hours without any action I noticed I had no fly on. I then tied on one of my usual heavily weighted tarpon flies and successfully snagged a 10" brook trout which I played for half an hour. After several minutes of pictures I performed surgery to remove the gaff, err, I mean hook, and then gently released him."

This should actually be fairly close to his "report".
            “Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
            ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

So glad that Glen wrote such an elegant report! It would sound a lot better if he actually described the Adirondacks, ponds and fishing conditions. Alas, he has not been there in quite a while and, well, his memory isn't what it once was.

See the picture of Glen after half an hour on the water back in the day.

The fishing was decent. Not on fire, but decent. Most of my fish were in the 16" to 17" range and nicely proportioned. I lost two that I wish I hadn't, one due to a frayed leader. I should know better...

USD would not give you the same report. Despite doing everything I was doing, same line, same flies, he couldn't buy a fish. I thought he might actually pitch his gear overboard and take up golf. The one fish he did catch in 2 days of trying was 13". And hooked in the tail...

We've all been there but I don't foresee him ever hearing the end of it
              Attached Files
              Last edited by vtflyfish; 04-14-2021, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Did he get tired out chewing through that tree in the background?

Comment

So good to see some of us old posters and good to see new ones as well! And that you are all still doing good and are getting ready for this upcoming open water fishing. Good to see VT and USD got into an adk. Pond already! Thank you for your report! I hope to get back involved on here again also! Miss this and I am looking forward to the shenanigans and great reports again! Getting back to the original topic. I would just like to add I started out fly fishing using an old STH cassette reel. It served the purpose and the price was right for me as a beginner. Probably not be produced to this day anymore. Can’t wrong with the Hardy.
                  "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

Originally posted by bridgeman View Post
                    Did he get tired out chewing through that tree in the background?
                    gnaw!

Comment

Its been awhile but I had to check in and see whats going on in the forum. VT I'm always excited to read your reports and your Glenn Bashing Sorry Glenn. Im itching to head up and try my luck on my favorite pond (VT you Know which one). Found this on Sierra Trading Lamson Remix 1.5 Fly Reel - 3-Pack made in the USA great price. Putting in a new skiff on the LI Sound, but much rather head out in my BlackJack. (RIP Pete Hornbeck).

Comment

Originally posted by mar71 View Post
                        Its been awhile but I had to check in and see whats going on in the forum. VT I'm always excited to read your reports and your Glenn Bashing Sorry Glenn. Im itching to head up and try my luck on my favorite pond (VT you Know which one). Found this on Sierra Trading Lamson Remix 1.5 Fly Reel - 3-Pack made in the USA great price. Putting in a new skiff on the LI Sound, but much rather head out in my BlackJack. (RIP Pete Hornbeck).
                        Let me know when you're coming! I'm sure there's a wee dram of Scotch to be shared around the campfire after a day on that pond!

Comment

Originally posted by mar71 View Post
                          It’s so sad that after teaching that miscreant from Vermont how to fish I’m now the object of his inferiority projection.

There’s nothing left to do but to list of all his favorite ponds.
                          ― Cormac McCarthy

Comment

Forget the Scotch, Glen I'm on your side. I'm waiting patiently with pen and paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen View Post
                              It’s so sad that after teaching that miscreant from Vermont how to fish I’m now the object of his inferiority projection.

There’s nothing left to do but to list of all his favorite ponds.
                              MISCREANT??? I represent that!

Comment

Working...
                              X